Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming back from a class trip this evening down the interstate at about 70mph most of the way because I really feel bad doing my usual 85mph with the way the 6 is geared. I think the car is already reving way too high even at 75+ mph... Sure its great for passing but prolonged periods of time at around 4K rpm seems too high, imo.

I don't often need to hit the interstate but when i do i really wish for OD or a 6th gear, or hell just a lower geared 5th. All the 4 bangers ive owned have been geared similarly or lower at this speed with much less torque. I find it odd a v6 haveing such a gear ratio.

Anyway, thats the end of my rant... :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
That is because the 6th gear in the MS6 is actually a lower ratio than the 5th gear in the 6s.... I am not positive about the actual final drive ratio though. The MS6 trans is just a really close ratio transmission.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I want the Asian version of Mazda6, their 2.3L comes with six speed manual!!! :drool: :drive:

·
Registered
532 Posts
I agree. I have taken my speed6 at 85mph cruzin and it does rev high... But I love the fact that the power is there to pass, even on sixth gear... IMO

·
Registered
281 Posts
nightracerx
euro 6i from 2005 also goes with 6spd manual
But anyway 6th gear 2005 = 5th gear 2003 :)
So it didn't give any advantages... Only easier way to put there 6th gear with needed ratio.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I dont think running the car down the road at 85 is going to hurt it.... SHESH.

Sure a 6th would be nice to maybe squeez a bit more gas out, but it isnt something we have to have.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I like the way the five-speed is geared, although it does behave similarly regarding gear ratios to a six-speed close-ratio manual transmission. My first stick (right before the 6) was a six-speed 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 and I drive my 6 about the same as I drove that car. A sixth gear would be a nice added touch, but I love how I can quickly hit speeds of 100+ quickly right from fifth gear and running at midrange RPMs at highway speeds doesn't seem to hurt fuel efficiency or durability so it's all fine by me. I just can't stand this cheap-ass clutch.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I like the way the five-speed is geared, although it does behave similarly regarding gear ratios to a six-speed close-ratio manual transmission. My first stick (right before the 6) was a six-speed 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6 and I drive my 6 about the same as I drove that car. A sixth gear would be a nice added touch, but I love how I can quickly hit speeds of 100+ quickly right from fifth gear and running at midrange RPMs at highway speeds doesn't seem to hurt fuel efficiency or durability so it's all fine by me. I just can't stand this cheap-ass clutch.
[/b]
Abuse the shit out of it and you'll have an excuse to get a new stage3 one from RPM. ^_^

·
Registered
201 Posts
I agree with your rant. I'd love to have a 6th gear, just to rev the car a little lower. Once or twice a month I do a 1000km trip, and drive around 130-135km/h. In 5th, the car is revving between 3300 and 3500 rmp. On a v6, the gas goes down fast at that rate, so squeezing a bit more out of it would be the one addition to my ride that would have made it 100% ideal.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Just let off the gas a little and let the cars pass :D

Even when I shift at 3k and use my sixth gear all the time, I still get about 26mpg at the best.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Its not a big problem here in canada as our max legal speed limit is 100kmph (62mph) ... I do 120kmph just below 3k rpm ...
[/b]
I am too. Driving on the 401 from Ottawa to Toronto, when even the damn trucks are going 130 doesn't leave that option.

·
Registered
517 Posts
BUMP*
this thread should be PINNED.

seirously, revving 4000 going 82 mph isnt good for the engine.
my mom's MDX revs 2100 rpms at that speed.

·
Administrator
8,401 Posts
BUMP*
this thread should be PINNED.[/b]
Uhh, no.
seirously, revving 4000 going 82 mph isnt good for the engine.[/b]
Have proof? As in documented cases? Didn't think so...
my mom's MDX revs 2100 rpms at that speed.[/b]
So what? So does a lot of other cars/trucks/SUVs etc. Are they as fun to drive? No, not by a long shot.

Seriously, if it bothers people that much, then obviously you didn't test-drive the car at all, or didn't do it correctly. I can understand why people want a 6th gear for better fuel economy, but AFAIC, both the 4-cyl and V6 are just as smooth at 4K RPM compared to 2K RPM, and it's nice not having to drop one (or in some cases two) gears to pass someone on the highway or on a two-lane.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Uhh, no.

Have proof? As in documented cases? Didn't think so...

So what? So does a lot of other cars/trucks/SUVs etc. Are they as fun to drive? No, not by a long shot.

Seriously, if it bothers people that much, then obviously you didn't test-drive the car at all, or didn't do it correctly. I can understand why people want a 6th gear for better fuel economy, but AFAIC, both the 4-cyl and V6 are just as smooth at 4K RPM compared to 2K RPM, and it's nice not having to drop one (or in some cases two) gears to pass someone on the highway or on a two-lane.[/b]
Look, nobody is saying the 6 isn't fun to drive and isn't a good car to own. It's a fantastic car but it is not perfect. We can enjoy our car yet still throw around ideas on how to improve it. A lot of us would just like a 6th gear (myself included). You want "documented cases" of the car running 4K at about 80MPH? Is that a joke? I rarely encounter it around where I live, but if I'm traveling to somewhere hilly, I've seen 4K at 80MPH. And the car is still incredibly smooth at 4K but it would be nice to have it at 2K RPM during that time. And if you're that concerned about dropping gears to pass, then maybe a manual transmission isn't for you.

P

·
0 Posts
Look, nobody is saying the 6 isn't fun to drive and isn't a good car to own. It's a fantastic car but it is not perfect. We can enjoy our car yet still throw around ideas on how to improve it. A lot of us would just like a 6th gear (myself included). You want "documented cases" of the car running 4K at about 80MPH? Is that a joke? I rarely encounter it around where I live, but if I'm traveling to somewhere hilly, I've seen 4K at 80MPH. And the car is still incredibly smooth at 4K but it would be nice to have it at 2K RPM during that time. And if you're that concerned about dropping gears to pass, then maybe a manual transmission isn't for you.[/b]

Just thought I would throw this in there.. I drive a 2.0L Diesel and at 85 im doing about 2750rpm.. LOL :yesnod: oh and getting over 45MPG.. :nana:

I cant wait to get flamed now..

·
Administrator
8,401 Posts
You want "documented cases" of the car running 4K at about 80MPH? Is that a joke? I rarely encounter it around where I live, but if I'm traveling to somewhere hilly, I've seen 4K at 80MPH.[/b]
Please check his original quote again:
seirously, revving 4000 going 82 mph isnt good for the engine.[/b]
I wanted to see if there are documented cases that running 4K ISN'T GOOD FOR THE ENGINE, ie. breakdowns, warranty claims. I'm pretty well aware of what the engine runs in highway driving, since I do about 300 miles of highway driving a week...
And if you're that concerned about dropping gears to pass, then maybe a manual transmission isn't for you.[/b]
If you're on a two-lane, stuck behind a 95-year-old in a Buick doing 45 in a 55, and want to pass him before oncoming traffic returns, wouldn't it be easier to just step on the gas, rather than taking an extra second or two having to shift down a gear? Those extra seconds could be the difference between a safe pass and a head-on collision.

Trust me, driving a manual transmission is NO problem for me. I've done it for years, and will continue to do so, as long as I'm physically capable to. Having said that, I also think that a 6th gear would be nice for fuel economy, because thats the ONLY way the 6 would benefit from one. I DON'T think it'll be quieter at cruising speed, and I DON'T think it adds wear and tear on a properly maintained engine. I've heard of past Mazdas (including the Miata) being geared similarly, and have 150K+ miles on them and are still going strong.

Just thought I would throw this in there.. I drive a 2.0L Diesel and at 85 im doing about 2750rpm.. LOL :yesnod: oh and getting over 45MPG.. :nana:

I cant wait to get flamed now..[/b]
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts