Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes - I've got all the same wasted space as well, but you have to remember that this is using CSS to do its best to handle varied-length monitors. That being said, you should just be able to throw some padding on the edges so it handles all screens the same way, regardless of size.
It should be quite doable, based on the number of sites that I visit on both my desktop and phone, and the websites we design and manage as well. :)

I agree that to change it from where it is now will take some testing time to be sure they don't bugger something else up. However it is still imminently doable and I am very glad to see it on their list of top priorities! :)

·
Super Moderator
16,831 Posts
Yes, that one. The new logo is definitely nice.
Use The Wayback Machine to snag it: https://archive.org/web/ <-- If you've never heard of it, be amazed and have fun!

How do I add or insert line after the image I uploaded using the web version (mobile)? With tapatalk, I just press and hold the picture and then a menu will pop up.
No idea lol. I only ever use web, which is why I'm typically not on here during weekends/nights since I don't use my phone.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Use The Wayback Machine to snag it: https://archive.org/web/ <-- If you've never heard of it, be amazed and have fun!
Yes, I've never heard of it. Thank you for the link.

This is so frustrating. I just can't get the old one being displayed on tapatalk. Below is the new one:

No idea lol. I only ever use web, which is why I'm typically not on here during weekends/nights since I don't use my phone
I finally got it! I accidentally pressed the "enter" button on my phone and suddenly, I can now insert another line like this text I just typed.
😀

I appreciate the "reply" function. I think it was you who mentioned it earlier.

I'm starting to like the mobile web version!

·
Registered
797 Posts
I can't access the other threads that I made or those are missing. Of course, there is that mandatory newbie thread. I'm looking for the "360 and Dashcams Installation" (I forgot the exact title) and "440 V Insulation Test Guide".

·
Super Moderator
16,831 Posts
@Archerfish glad you got the other things working, and I see what you mean about the tapatalk logo.

I can't access the other threads that I made or those are missing. Of course, there is that mandatory newbie thread. I'm looking for the "360 and Dashcams Installation" (I forgot the exact title) and "440 V Insulation Test Guide".
I noticed that one of my threads hadn't been converted to the new link yet either - could be something that's fixed over time, but I'd copy all the offending URLs to a note somewhere so we know for later.

·
Registered
797 Posts
@Archerfish glad you got the other things working, and I see what you mean about the tapatalk logo.

I noticed that one of my threads hadn't been converted to the new link yet either - could be something that's fixed over time, but I'd copy all the offending URLs to a note somewhere so we know for later.
Following your suggestion, I looked for it and how glad am I to find it!

One thing that I noticed is that I can no longer update (edit) my old post.

I wish that feature wasn't removed. It is very handy in topic updating, just as was stated by the guy who made a new thread about Android Auto. So for every update, all we have to do is go straight to post number 1.

However, this new format won't allow us to do it. So for the update, we have to look for a particular post. I think that is not helpful as far as "easy access" is being promoted.

·
Super Moderator
16,831 Posts
That's probably something that can be tweaked down the line. I have the ability to edit any post right now, so I'm sure there's a simple setting to allow users to edit their own posts, despite the age.

Edit: I'd like to add that the new spam-bot filtering seems to be doing a great job. I like getting the notifications on my main bar.

·
Super Moderator
16,831 Posts
I just realized that the 3,500+ "Thanks" and/or "Likes" that I had earned over the years are now moot - dang. It doesn't really bother me, but it does show I at least know what I'm talking about sometimes lol.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just realized that the 3,500+ "Thanks" and/or "Likes" that I had earned over the years are now moot - dang. It doesn't really bother me, but it does show I at least know what I'm talking about sometimes lol.
I did find that a useful feature to use as another tool to help identify folks who may be more experienced, etc.

·
Registered
797 Posts
That's probably something that can be tweaked down the line. I have the ability to edit any post right now, so I'm sure there's a simple setting to allow users to edit their own posts, despite the age.

Edit: I'd like to add that the new spam-bot filtering seems to be doing a great job. I like getting the notifications on my main bar.
That is great to know. Then the alternative is to contact the moderator for assistance if ever someone needs to update their post.

·
Registered
725 Posts
This "update" couldn't be any worse. It shouldn't be complicated to go on a car forum and try and figure out how to navigate through it.

There are sticky's that haven't had a reply in several years.
Duplication abounds.
They layout is nothing but atrocious.
Spell check = LOL
It would take all day and night to point out all the issues.
Whoever is responsible for this should be fired.

Y
ou want to see how to do a forum. check the f150forum. https://www.f150forum.com/

We have more members post in a single day than this site does in a year. It's simple and easy.

This layout is a JOKE. You're going to find fewer and fewer coming back as it's truly a waste of time.

Good or bad, you won't have to put up with me anymore. Ya'll enjoy your new disaster.

·
Super Moderator
16,831 Posts
This "update" couldn't be any worse. It shouldn't be complicated to go on a car forum and try and figure out how to navigate through it.

There are sticky's that haven't had a reply in several years.
Duplication abounds.
They layout is nothing but atrocious.
Spell check = LOL
It would take all day and night to point out all the issues.
Whoever is responsible for this should be fired.

Y
ou want to see how to do a forum. check the f150forum. https://www.f150forum.com/

We have more members post in a single day than this site does in a year. It's simple and easy.

This layout is a JOKE. You're going to find fewer and fewer coming back as it's truly a waste of time.

Good or bad, you won't have to put up with me anymore. Ya'll enjoy your new disaster.
Ahh, classic "don't fix it if it's not broken" mentality. The only issue with that is your forum looks outdated and, even with adblock on, way too messy. There are ads, unused space, annoying banners, and tons of clutter all over the place.

1) Stickies aren't part of the layout's problem, it's mine. Some stickies need to stay there since they have the most information, others need updating but I'm only 1 person.

2) I haven't seen much duplication on here and, if I'm missing it, I'm happy to fix it so long as people make me aware of it. Again, NOT a new layout issue.

3) Spell check also has NOTHING to do with the website, FYI.

I think you're letting the change in appearance make you lose sight of a lot of other things and the only things you picked out in your list of complaints (except the layout, which is almost identical to that of every other forum) have nothing to do with it.

Edit: Oh gawd, your F150 website has a popup "use this to chat with experts" "feature" - I cringe every time I see one of these on a site. No Thank You.

·
Super Moderator
16,831 Posts
Also want to note here that the new "mentioning" section is SO much better. You no longer need to know the person's entire username, only part of it, and it gives you a list of options - love it.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Also want to note here that the new "mentioning" section is SO much better. You no longer need to know the person's entire username, only part of it, and it gives you a list of options - love it.
Let me try that...

I observed that I can no longer go directly to the person whom I "mentioned". Anyways, I think this is an issue with tapatalk.

EDIT: It works!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Ahh, classic "don't fix it if it's not broken" mentality. The only issue with that is your forum looks outdated and, even with adblock on, way too messy. There are ads, unused space, annoying banners, and tons of clutter all over the place.
Thats the standard template for phpBB, which is the best out there, and it happens to be free. The worlds largest forums run on it and i have personally been admin on a site that had over a million posts and 100k active members and never had an issue with it. VerticalScope is in teh business to make money, they have a LONG history of buying existing sites, converting them to ad bloats and killing the community. This unnecessary change in software is a perfect example. This is a total crap show now and im not sure ill be staying around.
I only stayed this long cause i still have my 06 and the knowledge doesnt leave when you buy a new car and honestly i didnt think you guys care if my main car is a 6 or not, the specific websites for the 3 suck for ANY kind of specific knowledge, its all oil/tire/stickers and Protoge stuff.

·
Super Moderator
16,831 Posts
Thats the standard template for phpBB, which is the best out there, and it happens to be free. The worlds largest forums run on it and i have personally been admin on a site that had over a million posts and 100k active members and never had an issue with it. VerticalScope is in teh business to make money, they have a LONG history of buying existing sites, converting them to ad bloats and killing the community. This unnecessary change in software is a perfect example. This is a total crap show now and im not sure ill be staying around.
I only stayed this long cause i still have my 06 and the knowledge doesnt leave when you buy a new car and honestly i didnt think you guys care if my main car is a 6 or not, the specific websites for the 3 suck for ANY kind of specific knowledge, its all oil/tire/stickers and Protoge stuff.
I'm well aware of the size/scope of phpBB and vBulletin, but that doesn't change the fact that I currently have fewer advertisements on this forum than most others with/without adblock.

It also doesn't justify everyone's outrage over a few simple changes. I'm in the industry of tech and I am well aware of the hazards of upgrading things when they work fine, but that doesn't mean you have to stay in the stone ages forever either. You'll never progress if you throw your hands in the air and walk away every time something changes.

Not saying this layout is perfect, far from it, but I simply don't see the reason to be so upset either.

·
Administrator
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Member feedback is what helps fuel future updates to the site, so please keep it coming. We do compile all the feedback you share. Although we may not action everything, we are logging what users are saying. We will be seeing weekly updates to the site until we are where we need to be. :)

- Cricket

·
Super Moderator
16,831 Posts
Hey Cricket! (@Administrator) Thanks again for all your help so far.

I know you said this earlier, but I didn't try it out until I needed to edit a link in my signature, but I feel like having the URL link limit set to 1 in signatures is very low.

Granted, I don't need ALL of the links in my sig that I do, but I feel that they've helped a LOT of people by having some of the off-forum ones so we don't have people asking the same question 100 times over. That, and how else are people going to link their rides + any pertinent information/threads about them?

I also just realized that all the internal links in my sig are dead, but it won't let me edit them because it says I have too many in my sig.

·
Administrator
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Hey Cricket! (@Administrator) Thanks again for all your help so far.

I know you said this earlier, but I didn't try it out until I needed to edit a link in my signature, but I feel like having the URL link limit set to 1 in signatures is very low.

Granted, I don't need ALL of the links in my sig that I do, but I feel that they've helped a LOT of people by having some of the off-forum ones so we don't have people asking the same question 100 times over. That, and how else are people going to link their rides + any pertinent information/threads about them?

I also just realized that all the internal links in my sig are dead, but it won't let me edit them because it says I have too many in my sig.
They are working on fixing redirects for broken links. Right now, the limit is 1 link, 4 lines, and up to 1000 characters. I will definitely pass on your feedback to the team.

P.S. If you hover (or click) on your avatar in the thread, you will see a link to your showcase items as well.

- Cricket

21 - 40 of 62 Posts