Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stop me if I'm wrong but I feel this site has too many sub forums and not enough activity to require it. It takes me forever to navigate each section, in search of a new post

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
All I know is.. the gen3 forum is all but non-existent now :/ There are 2-3 active threads in it compared to what it was.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
Give us some time fellers. This site is an absolute wreck and the sections/sub-sections haven't been altered in about 8 years. We're going through thousands and thousands of threads trying to re-organize everything so it's easier to navigate.

Appreciate the feedback, but this is going to be quite a tedious process so you'll have to bear with us while we work on it.

Besides: The link in my sig has everything you need for the 3rd gens anyways :)

If you find any other threads that should be added let me know.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
but we all treated the gen 3 main forums as our personal little lounge, and clearly we liked it that way, LOL!

I'm all for organization though, so I'm not arguing that one bit :p

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
but we all treated the gen 3 main forums as our personal little lounge, and clearly we liked it that way, LOL!

Understood and I'll talk to the other guys about it to see what would work best. As nice as it was to let everyone talk about what they'd like with the 3rd gen, it was difficult to find specific information.

Let's be honest here, the search function isn't the greatest in the world - and not many people know how to utilize the power of Google to the extent that you can, so finding specific threads could prove daunting to new members.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
FWIW, and also as a request to not kill the feature, I encourage the use of the RSS feeds to be notified of new posts.

I get notifications of all new posts for the forums & sub forums that I've subscribed to via Feedly. Makes it essentially painless and brainless to see what's going on everyday.

On top of that I've also got email notifications for daily activity configured so every night about midnight I get an email from 6club with a list of new posts and posts with activity for the forums & sub forums that I'm subscribed to.

Last, I'm configured to be automatically subscribed to any threads that I post in, and there are others that I simply use thread tools>subscribe to thread when I want to be kept updated, but don't necessarily have anything to contribute.

Between these methods I'm in the know for the important areas to me, and can browse the other areas at my leisure.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Unless I'm looking for a particular thread I always just hit the "new posts" button on the top menu...shows you all latest bumped threads.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

I agree, I don't even go through the post anymore now that its been section to death.

Keep it simple between generations... We don't need so many subcategories.

Maxima.org is a perfect example how a forum should be laid out

·
Registered
404 Posts
Just click on "Today's Posts" (is it still there ?) and you can follow the pandemonium without thinking about it too much.

Glad people are on it, though !!!

Thanks !!!

Don

(Edit: yes, it is still there ...)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just click on "Today's Posts" (is it still there ?) and you can follow the pandemonium without thinking about it too much.

Glad people are on it, though !!!

Thanks !!!

Don
I use the auto guide app to browse the forum, I'm not sure if that option is available

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah I agree. It is painful to use the autoguide app to find threads/post. Just growing pains. Like Road construction. Hate it while it going on, but love it when it's finished (unless it starts in another section close by)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I was pondering the debate of more forums vs less forums and I think there are two competing interests: currently active threads everybody wants to check out and participate in which has a bias to less forums and older threads that people, likely newbies or somebody trying to reference something from the past, want to be able to browse in a specific category, which has a bias for more forums.

Perhaps the opposite approach to what is being done here would be that the top or mid level forum would be the only one that new threads can be posted to, and once they drop off the front page of the forum they get sent to a sub forum that no new threads can be started in. Basically an archive subforum although people could still add new posts to the old threads if the wanted to revive a discussion.

And having rough thresholds of a forum to be the consolidated forum where new threads can be started is if there are say less than 30 posts a day, but if I goes higher than that the forum does get subdivided, and if a group of subforums all drop below a collective 30 posts a day, the subforums become archive forums and new threads can only be posted at the next level up.

That would be a compromise to promote better one stop shopping for active posting without harming peoples ability to browse throughg a relevant narrow category of threads later, when digging for info.

by the way..., THIS THREAD IS IN THE WRONG FORUM!!! LoL!

·
Registered
404 Posts
... I think there are two competing interests ...
Trying to re-arrange the site content, while still retaining the content, is like squeezing a balloon -- it all goes somewhere, and you will wind up with the same-thing-only-different.

If the admin could get a read on what is currently popular, and what is not, and then place popular topics at the top of the main page with the rest going down in some kind of logical descending order, it may help.

Just a thought. My 2¢.

Don

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
It's funny, I've lobbied for YEARS that there were sub-forums NEEDED in certain areas because all the good info had gotten lost or forgotten, and I'd get complaints WEEKLY about how this forum looked like it's been abandoned since 2010.

Now the new sub-forums are up, and now it's TOO much? Come on guys and gals, make up your minds! :nana:

I'm just kidding, of course. :)

We do appreciate the feedback, but as Byakuya mentioned, there's still a LOT of work that needs to be done, and both him and I now have some more free time to get things done. So again, bear with us while we do a little housekeeping... :D

Also, TiGray has a LOT of good ways and methods to keep up with the newer posts in the forum. The thread subscriptions IMO is a life-saver to me, and I've been able to stay on top of things that way.

Again, feel free to add your questions/comments. Just allow me to move this thread into a more appropriate category first... :p

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Mx6, see my post above from 8-16. There are competing interests.

Another alternative is to make the mid level forums still not postable and have a million subforums, but have thecmidlevel forums populate with duplicates of their subforum threads with the most recent posts at the top to threads with older postings on down.

I'm not sure the software can handle that, but that give the best of both worlds. People must create threads in relevant categories to make it easier to browse for them later. At the same time, people can treat the next levels up as lounges where they can look and participate in the threads with the latest postings occurring.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
16 Participants
dasrider
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing