Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for just the pulley or a cheaper alternative to replacing the $100 tensioner.

The tensioner itself is fine. The pulley bearing froze, and I can't find the pulley on its own. The killer is the 6 is the only motor that uses this tensioner. The Ford 3.0 uses a different style, but its only $32....

Guess it would help to mention that this is for an 04.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Why not eliminate the tensioner like mazda did in the later years and use the shorter belt. Apparently the tensioner caused a side load on the front exhaust cam which led to a service bulletin, so they just got rid of it. Getting the belt on is a little tricky, but I can send you the procedure from the manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would help a ton. Definitely send the procedure and the belt part number if you have it handy. Thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am still in the process of tracking down a belt. Closest I have found is the belt for an 05 Escape. I hope its the right one. Everything I have found so far is with tensioner... I assume install is just like a bicycle chain. run it around the pump and start it on the cam and bump the motor to get it on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well We called Mazda cause all the belts we keep getting are 25 inches and it needs to be smaller.. SO we asked the belt size for an 06 and its 20 inches. We had Napa order one and the Guy at Mazda said it should work without a doubt.. Its a stretch to fit belt so even if its alil small he said it would stretch to what we need and work... I pick it up in the morning and Hopefully it works.. Ill have the part number for anyone tomorrow who needs it if it does in fact work..

·
Registered
585 Posts
I am still in the process of tracking down a belt. Closest I have found is the belt for an 05 Escape. I hope its the right one. Everything I have found so far is with tensioner... I assume install is just like a bicycle chain. run it around the pump and start it on the cam and bump the motor to get it on.

The picture is of a stock 07 engine. Just go to the dealership or auto parts store and ask for the water pump belt for an 07 Mazda6 with V6 engine. The part number on the belt in the picture is "MOTORCRAFT 6E5E-8K543-CA TOCJA"

Yes, the installation is just like a bicycle chain. Put the belt completely around the small water pump pulley and then start putting it around the large camshaft drive pulley starting from the edge toward the back of the car and working it around the top toward the front of the car. You won't be able to get it all the way on and don't try turning it with a wrench or screwdriver, you'll just pend the pulley. Instead take a small/narrow - (1/8 inch wide) plastic tie-wrap and put it around the belt and through the cut out in the pulley at the farthest point you have the belt in the groove. The tie-wrap will the hold the belt in place and you can now just momentarily turn the ignition key to rotate the engine forward a little bit at a time and the belt will snap on the rest of the way. DO NOT START THE ENGINE and if it is a manual transmission be sure to press down the clutch! If the tie-wrap has not already snapped off at this point, cut it off and you should be good to go. If you would rather turn the engine forward by hand, you can do so using a large socket wrench on the main crankshaft drive pulley down behind the front passenger side wheel. Again, if it is a manual transmission you will have to set the parking brake and put the transmission in NEUTRAL. Turn the crankshaft clockwise as you look through the passenger side wheel well.

·
Registered
510 Posts
My Lower water pump pulley just shredded itself on the highway the other day. I was having a very difficult time finding the part also, called everywhere. Finally found the part but it cost me $75 plus $10 for the belt. Sucked, but thank god I caught it early so my car didnt blow up on me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My tensioner pulley went out as well. I got a replacement from Auto Zone. Wasn't sheap, but it was a realy easy fix. Did it in the parking lot in 10 minutes, including removing the engine cover. I would recommend spending the money and buy the pulley, rather than half-assing it.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
My tensioner pulley went out as well. I got a replacement from Auto Zone. Wasn't sheap, but it was a realy easy fix. Did it in the parking lot in 10 minutes, including removing the engine cover. I would recommend spending the money and buy the pulley, rather than half-assing it.
It's not 'half-assing' it by any stretch. As noted (above), Mazda & Ford found that the set-up with the tensioner was causing failure of the camshaft bearing about 2" away from the pump pulley because of the angle the belt was pulling. They found the fix, or correct method, was to remove the tensioner and go pulley-to-pulley.

If someone doesn't mind risking bearing failure in one of the camshafts, by all means, they should leave it as-is. You'll find several threads on this board discussing some failures.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Could someone please send me the procedure for putting on the water pump belt without a tensioner? I have a 2005, and I need to replace the accessory drive belt + tensioner, so I figured I'd do the water pump belt at the same time, as they both are the original belts (70k miles).

I think I understand the procedure, but I wouldn't mind seeing additional pictures to make sure.

Also, I assume I just remove the old tensioner from the engine so it isn't in the way if I'm going to use the 20" stretch-belt instead?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Why not eliminate the tensioner like mazda did in the later years and use the shorter belt. Apparently the tensioner caused a side load on the front exhaust cam which led to a service bulletin, so they just got rid of it. Getting the belt on is a little tricky, but I can send you the procedure from the manual.
Would you mind sending the proceedure as well?
Thanks. ;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
mine shredded 2 days ago i got the belt (without tensioner) from AutoZone for $7.99 i can provide the part # to those interested later at the belt sleeve is in *sigh* the GEO Metro. please dont judge, its a free loaner from a friend.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sorry to rez the thread, but does anyone have a link to this service bulletin?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Update: I ordered the 07+ wp belt on friday, it came in [email protected] Autozone for $28. The squeeling got worst over the weekend so I attempted to drive to Autozone sun night to get the new belt...luckily I was about a half a mile away from home when noticed my temp gauge on "H". I pulled into a gas station and shut it down for five min, restarted, drove home, opened the hood and saw this..
uploadfromtaptalk1338473586466.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1338473646864.jpg
That is my water pump tensioner plastic pulley melted off and shredded belt... It only took 20 min to install the new 07+ stretch fit tensioner-less belt and removed the damaged, useless tensioner (2 8mm bolts). To install the new belt you need a ziptie to hold/guide the belt on the edge of the larger pulley as you crank (bump) the engine. Cut the ziptie when the belt is in both pulley centers.
uploadfromtaptalk1338474416687.jpg

It didn't overheat bad that I know of, but now the engine has a slight tapping sound when its cold.

Sent from my VZW Samsung Fascinate

·
Registered
62 Posts
While driving my 2003 Mazda 6 with roughly 90k miles on Friday, the A/C started blowing hot air and I noticed the temp gauge was on H. I pulled over and topped off the coolant (it was low), then proceeded to drive again. Within 15-20 seconds, it started going up again so I pulled over and had it towed to a shop.

I was told the water pump belt and tensioner needed to be replaced. I did not have access to the internet over the weekend and am just seeing this thread now. The shop has ordered the needed parts and is going to be performing the repairs.

I'm fairly sure they will replace with the 2003 OEM part, which includes the tensioner. Can anyone provide a small write-up of the procedure to install the "tensioner-less" belt from the newer models? I'd like to replace it again myself once I get the car back from the shop.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts