Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Is it just a gasket then because the 6 I just picked up has this issue and the gasket looks fine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm both relieved and disappointed that I'm not the only one with this issue. Just discovered my water yesterday... Took pics ready to post them on here, but decided to search first. Sure enough, a LOT of us have this issue. I live in Columbus, OH, so it's nothing to do with living near a body of water. I know mine has been in there for a while because I can remember hearing a "sloshing" sound in the winter when braking hard or turning hard corners in winter. I could hear a "thunk" sometimes too. I was freaking out I had water in my gas tank and it had frozen. Well, I was partially right. Frozen water in the freaking spare tire well!! I had a good 2"+ in the jack well, and 1"+ in the tire well. All dried out now. I'll do some investigating on my weather stripping. Car has 53,000 miles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It has been the second time i have found water in my trunk on my 04 6 with 91,000 miles on it. It seems that everytime i take it through a carwash it happens.

Going to have the car lifted soon to see if i can figure it out.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
water in my trunk where the jack goes. Emptied it out a month ago and another 2 inches in there again. Must fix before I put my system back to gether.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well, I'm another one that just found about 2+" of water where my jack is and some where the spare tire sits.

The only real tip I got from this thread and searching is it could possibly be caused by a bad trunk gasket. Is this gasket the thick rubber one that goes around the trunk? If so, mine looks like it's in good shape...any other ideas?

If it is that hose mounted in the jack compartment, how can you test to make sure its not stopped up?

Any other recomendations?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I had it too a few months back.

It was kind of oily too. almost like, for example a bottle of dash cleaner/shiner spilled and went down in there.

havent checked since. 3 months ago

·
Registered
596 Posts
O.k... After doing some serious cleaning in my hatch, I noticed that I had the "car-pool" mod going on again under my spare and jack cubby. After cleaning everything up, I did some investigating. I noticed that my license plate light housings gasket's were virtually shot (I was going to replace these both anyways due to them being burned and cracking from the heat of the bulbs).
I also noticed water trails from the inside of my hatch that came from the license plate light housings. After cleaning everything up and putting everything back together, I hosed my trunk down with a high pressured hose. No more leaks!

So apparently those little light housings were the cause of the flooding.
I got my replacements here: New Factory OEM 02 06 05 04 07 Mazda 6 Trunklid Plate Tag Light Set GJ6A51270B | eBay

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
If anyone else has problems with this in the future, I'd like to throw in that I had a leaking hatch due to bad seals around my third brake. I just put some silicon over it from the inside and it solved the problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
subscribing/resurrecting. found water in my trunk twice so far. haven't yet isolated where it is coming from

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I saw water once on passenger side. Like 4 fucking inches in that well. Really needs a weep hole.
Then never again. Crazy world.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
subscribing/resurrecting. found water in my trunk twice so far. haven't yet isolated where it is coming from
Feel around to see if you can isolate where is is coming from. Likely suspects include weather stripping, tail light seals, sunroof drains clooged (if you have one), third brake light (if its trunk/ hatch mounted), spoiler mounts or gasket.

·
Registered
50 Posts
finally got around to messing with this

pulled all the stuff out of the trunk, noted that water was again in the jack area and in the spare tire area. it seemed that the carpet was only wet on the passenger side where the carpet on the wall of the trunk hit the floor of the trunk...all the way in the back near the tail light.

i vacuumed up all the water and hosed the car down carefully. i decided to keep the trunk open since i don't have a 3rd brake light and i felt that i could probably test the seals/crevices well enough without closing it.

i poured water into the area between the trunk hatch and the car itself and water ran down across the seals and off the car fine

i then started spraying in all of the crevices where the tail light, bumper and rear quarter panel all met. the first thing i noticed was what seemed like the sound of water collecting (rather than draining out) somewhere behind the tail light. but still didn't get any leaking so maybe it just drains slower from that area. what i DID notice was there were some small beads of water on the inside of the quarter panel (inside the trunk). i was like "that's weird...maybe some mist got in there by accident". so i dried that up and started spraying again.

what i found was that water was getting in around a white plastic clip that seems to hold the tail light in place. the harder i sprayed, the faster water would come in. so i found at least one leak so far.

i bought two different types of sealant i'm going to try. one is automotive/marine RTV and the other is JB Weld putty that you can use completely underwater (to reapair leaks in tubs and the like). i'm going to try the RTV first and see what happens. basically, i will seal around that plastic tab, let it fully cure and then respray water.

the full test will come when i take the car for a drive in the rain and/or let it sit outside in the rain.

i will keep everyone updated on my progress in the event it will help someone else. if you want pictures, let me know.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I attached a picture of my trunk. for those of you with vertigo: You are looking at the right side. The spot in the green circle was the one that I found to leak under pressure from a direct hose-spray with a nozzle. You can kind of see the RTV I applied around the fitting. It doesn't leak anymore.

It rained again and I found water in the trunk and this time from another (one or more) sources. They are denoted in red. The white plastic piece seemed to be the main culprit...however, it's hard to tell if there is some leaking going on behind that and the water coming from the plastic piece area is just an effect of the real cause. This spot made a lot of sense as to why I was getting water in both the spare tire well and the jack well...because when it drips down off of this area, it hits a spot on the bed of the trunk such that the water could run either way (or both ways).

I sealed around that plastic piece as well as the 2nd red circle where the wire clip is and the red line which denotes the seam of the body panels. Haven't sprayed with a hose yet and it hasn't rained yet.

Stay tuned.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
93V that was pretty helpful info, appreciate the photo too. Had nasty storm yesterday and as a result a bunch of water, seals are looking good on my car also. I will check out those spots you highlighted when i get chance, hopefully its the culprit.

·
Registered
50 Posts
it rained last night. not too hard, but it rained. opened my trunk today. nothing in there. still not packing the trunk back up yet because i want to really have it put to the test.

however, there is a decent chance i fixed my problem.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Have you guys had issues with water in the 2 rear doors?

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Have you guys had issues with water in the 2 rear doors?
Water will always get in the doors, front and rear... its the drain at the bottom of the doors that gets clogged and needs to get cleared up... it happens to mine. I removed the rubber pieces that's blocking the drain nozzles/plugs that's on our doors...

·
Registered
617 Posts
Water will always get in the doors, front and rear... its the drain at the bottom of the doors that gets clogged and needs to get cleared up... it happens to mine. I removed the rubber pieces that's blocking the drain nozzles/plugs that's on our doors...
Thanks, I will check again and remove the drain plugs because the other day I ran my fingers through the bottom of the door trying to see if I could find a drain and couldn't find it

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: djmarkian
21 - 40 of 44 Posts