Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just discovered water in my trunk--several inches around the spare tire and in the well where the jack is stored.

While the trunk gasket looked in good shape, it was leaking. In fact, there was significant rust under the gasket.

There have been several threads on this--looks like this problem affects several Mazda models for many years.

My Speed6 only has 52k miles on it--I was shocked to see it leaking as I've never had a car trunk leak and I keep my cars typically for 10 years and 150k miles. (this is my first Mazda)

Everyone needs to check their trunk for water and catch the problem before mold and rust do damage.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Interesting. That's not a good sign for such a low mileage car. My car has 96,000 miles and no issues as of yet. I just rotated the tires last week and there was no water in the truck area.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
I've seen this problem crop up quite a few times over the years, actually.

Did this happen from being parked in the rain, driving in rain or is it melting snow?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
do you live near the shore in MD ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
i noticed about 4 months ago when i needed the spare jack i had about a inch of water underneath the spare tire WTF!? drained it out but never thought to check it again i will have to get on this.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I've seen this problem crop up quite a few times over the years, actually.

Did this happen from being parked in the rain, driving in rain or is it melting snow?
I did some testing--it leaked in when water would run down the sides of the trunk gasket (both sides). I thought it was leaking around the taillights, but that was not the case. Just pouring a cup of water along the top sides of the trunk channel resulted in the water dribbling down into spare tire well--all this was under the fabric flloor, so it could not be seen until I removed the floor. So this would happen in any condition when the car would get wet--rain, snow, washing the car, driving or not.

I believe the water in the jack well actually got there by water in the spare well sloshing over into it when making turns as there was no direct leak into the jack well that I could find. So if you see it in the jack well, that likely means there is lots more around the spare.

My car is garaged at night at home and in a parking garage during the day at work, so I would imagine if it was not garaged, it would be much worse.

The good news, is this apparently started over the winter while it was cold, so there was no nasty mold or smell yet. There was a little rust on the spare wheel--that's the only "damage" I've found so far.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you live near the shore in MD ?
No, I live in the MD suburbs around DC, so ocean salt would not be a problem. But road salt applied for ice/snow is heavily used here, so that could have contributed to the rust and leak problem.

So that raises a good question: Those of you that have had this problem, what part of the country do you live in?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Dang, I'm in new England so we get plenty of road salt and all that horrible stuff. Checking my trunk as soon as I go back to my car.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Its true!!! my passenger side of the trunk had a good puddle. After a drill bit and a hole, it's all better

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have 56K on the car and have quite a lot of water in a jack well for a while. No water at all in the spare tire compartment.
I've been reading some threads and there are some people say, the problem could be the hose on the passenger side of the trunk.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I had my whole trunk apart about 2 weeks ago. Thank God it was bone dry. Is there
any visible damage to the weatherstripping? Is there a chance the weatherstripping
is starting to dry rot/disintegrate? I'm a weird SOB, and hit all the
weatherstripping with silicone spray a few times a year. It seems to help.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I had water in my speed6's trunk last summer too.
I thought it was my CARLED LED tail lights.
I put some electrical tape to the inner top side of the tail lights as they did not form a tight seal.
No water since.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had my whole trunk apart about 2 weeks ago. Thank God it was bone dry. Is there
any visible damage to the weatherstripping? Is there a chance the weatherstripping
When I checked mine out, all the weatherstripping looked great. I couldnt find any dry rot or nothing. I think its just not getting a good seal back there (my passenger side of the trunk). Luckily there was no rust either

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have 56K on the car and have quite a lot of water in a jack well for a while. No water at all in the spare tire compartment.
I've been reading some threads and there are some people say, the problem could be the hose on the passenger side of the trunk.
Interesting. I saw that little hose in there--I think that is a drain hose for the sunroof but not sure. It looked sound and I could not get any water to leak from it.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
the drains around the trunk could be clogged causing the water to back up and puddle. make sure they aren't clogged.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There was no visible signs of any damage or rot in the gasket that I could see, but along the bottom edge of the trunk opening, there was clear water penetration at the gasket and rust along where the gasket attached to the body. Pulling up the gasket and peeking into that area with a flashlight area showed the evidence.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So what was the consensus on how to repair this problem? I found 2 inches of water and my trunk stinks! Drying it all out right now...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So what was the consensus on how to repair this problem? I found 2 inches of water and my trunk stinks! Drying it all out right now...
Mine was fixed by replacing the gasket. Is there rust under the gasket along the bottom of the trunk opening (just above the bumper)? If yes, that was the sign of mine leaking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had my trunk gasket replaced under warranty at around 20,000 miles but unfortunately i had a nice multimeter sitting next to the spare tire...too bad that wasn't covered too haha

1 - 20 of 44 Posts