Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this note is simply to inform owners in snow/salt areas to check your front and rear subframes for corrossion/rust. The engine cradle and related parts on my 09 6 with 87k miles on it have corroded to the point that now two separate repair shops have advised me to not drive the car. I'll let the picture speak for itself. If you have this issue please let me know?

IMG_2131 - Copy.jpg

·
Registered
302 Posts
What is this "rust" you talk about? A strange phenomenon we Texans don't understand!

·
Registered
419 Posts
That looks really bad, did you ever rustproofed or even washed the under body?
What are you planning to do about it?

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
That sucks.

However, I can't think of any other 2nd-gen rust-belt cars I've seen that look anywhere near that bad. My '10 with 112K miles and 6 full CNY winters looks nothing like that. In fact, my mechanic recently told me that he's surprised how little rust my car has underneath.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To all - yup it sucks - pricing out replacing the front subframe right now.

Other than both subframes the rest of my car has very little rust and most is surface/on some lubrication points like door hinges etc. Mechanic also remarked how little rust on rest of car.

I’ve lived in New England all my life, my family has owned range of European, Japanese and some American cars going back to mid 70’s models. None have ever had this much rust, this early and on such a critical part of the car. We had fender, panel rust/rot but the frames/mounts etc. held up. Looks like it was exposed black painted metal with no coating whatsoever from the plant. We never rustproofed any of them. I do wash the underbody.

Interestingly on the spare tire well in the back you can see the thick/rubberized protection sprayed on, however they put some electronics in plastic under the well and they taped it off before spraying the protection on and then pulled the tape off and you can see where the protection is completely missing.. Why not spray the protection on and then mount the electronics in black plastic?

Brian U - think of rust as the inverse of those things you call "hail" and "tornadoes" - we can't see it or hear it coming, and instead of seconds, it takes years to do it's damage.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's definitely bad. Probably rusted from the inside out. I know people who have had subframes repolaced on other cars and it was several hundred dollars, with a used subframe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
Exocet
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing