Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, is the OEM wastegate worthless and I should go for a mod? If yes, which is the best wastegate to go with?
Overall, I'm trying to learn all about waste gates.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Same comments as above. If you run the OE K04 turbo. the stock wastegate is fine with the OE EBCS. If you run a modified or aftermarket turbo, use the aftermarket wastegate or aftermarket EBCS that is tuned for the turbo.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Are you speaking about this vehicle?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. It's running the OEM turbo but has a "Go fast bits" BOV...I asked about the wastegates after searching around YouTube and learning about them.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
People who claim internal wastegates are a problem have never had them ported properly. Im not sure anyone even bothers to port the hot side anymore and its stupid that they dont. I used to port for the DSM community and had consistent results with .2-.4 and 1-2mph in the quarter from just that, nothing else changed. Also, the BOV has nothing to do with the WG :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well are there any mods or things I can do to the OEM wastegate?? Any recommendations (aside of replacing the OEM one)...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Id have to have one in my hand to tell you for sure, but the DSM turbos would crack right there from the material being too thick, so i would relieve it so there was less metal and never even had new turbine housing crack. From the pics i can see, if you make a relief cut where the arm hits the housing to allow it to open more, that might help, as well as making sure the actual hole isnt too small. I dont know enough about these cars to really say for sure what you could do, id have to see the parts in person.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts