Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was bored over the long weekend with no forum to keep myself busy. So I went to my local car part supply and bought some high temp paint and painted my caliper.

It took about 4 hours to do carefully each wheel using the supplied jack. But from what you see it turned out pretty good. Or at least I thought it was pretty good. What do you guys think? Was it a waste of time? I guess it does not matter now. It is on it and it is very hard to take it off. :)

Anyway, I also had my front end covered with the 3M stonechip protector installed. It included teh whole front bumper, headlights, hood, fenders and side mirrors. I got a great deal too, $480CDN installed. If anyone want to install it, let me know I can recommend the guy who did it for me. It took several hours so you will need to leave the car for that time.

Anyway, hope you enjoy. I have created a Cardomain.com site now so that I have somewhere to upload pictures too.

My Mazda 6 Cardomain

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Reading Topic: Was bored over the long weekend! Attempt 2

Looks good! Goes well with the silver of the car... On the second pic it looks a little like a Porsche 911 :)

·
Registered
980 Posts

Definately looks good. Two thumbs up. Was it a hard job, do I require any specific skills?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Very easy to do. A little patience and two HANDS as Absolut indicated.

If you know how to change a tire and remember your days of painting in grade school, anyone can do it.

Paint kit was $40 (German brand) but may be cheaper if you look around at cheaper brand.

·
Registered
526 Posts

Looks good - and is something I've been thinking about doing to my car.

Nice work.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

BTW Ruefus, thanks for the link to the 3M stonechip protector link. Got the phone number of the local installer. Got a great price and just one afternoon wait.

I put the 3M product on the car instead of the thinner Avery one. I think the difference is 7mm versus 5mm on the Avery. 3M was tougher to install and very minute amount easier to see than the thinner Avery film.

·
Registered
980 Posts

That's good to hear that it's not very hard to do...I might have to copy your style. :)

·
Registered
526 Posts

Glad it worked out. Did your guy get any dust trapped? Mine did - but a call to Xpel told me that some is pretty normal.

Glad you like it.

What brand of paint did you use?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Tirerack sells paint kits for brake calipers for like $38. Check there website!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

That reminds me of the new grand prix GTPs, they have red calipers...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Yes you have to take the wheels off unless you have really tiny hands to get it through the spoke to paint way back.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Was bored over the long weekend! Attempt 2'

Originally posted by sooperman85

so do you actually have to take off the wheels to paint them?[/b]
unless you have tiny arms to get behind the wheels... that would be a contorsionist trick! :D

·
Registered
895 Posts

Wonder what it'd cost to cover the whole car in that 3M protection. ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts