Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the extended warranty on my 6. 72K miles, I believe.

Well, I'm at 60K, and with 600 miles a week on my car, the warranty will be up in six months.

So what should I expect to go wrong first? So far, no problems other than the stock TSB items. Kept up on all maintenance except the collant flush.

So...what does everyone think will go first? Throttle body? ATX?

·
Registered
517 Posts
So what should I expect to go wrong first? So far, no problems other than the stock TSB items. Kept up on all maintenance except the collant flush.
[/b]
Obviously, your radiator will rust through. 623 miles later, your left-rear turn signal will burn out, making your left blinker go super-fast. :)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Obviously, your radiator will rust through. 623 miles later, your left-rear turn signal will burn out, making your left blinker go super-fast. :)
[/b]

Ya, i would have to agree with all that. Once the warranty is up, your car is bascially gonna fall apart, its just a matter of time. Its like they built in something that knows when the warranty is up so that the car doesnt have to hold up anymore.... :nana: nah just messing. Your car should be fine, just keep doing regular tune ups and maintaining it like you should and you should be fine. Oh and the other thing to, get your butt to some of the meets that we have going on instead of working all the damn time :p ... that goes for you to garrick, did you not see our post bout doing a club meet last weekend? you should have joined up and represented the wagon side of our club. well hope to see you guys at the next meet which sounds like will be coming up on june 10th and 11th. check it out here. next meet

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha! How do you think I make the payments for my car? All that work!

Seriously, it's kind of a dilemma for me. This car has been hella reliable for me, and I don't want to trade it just to get something that will have more problems. Yet if this one STARTS to have problems, it won't be under warranty. It's a catch 22, really.

I'll see what's happening on the 10th and 11th. Maybe I can get there with my underhwelmingly stock car. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think the mazda is a keeper i expect to see a minium of 100k , as i split my mileage between the the 6 and my fz1 and i hope both hit 100k together in 2010 :))

·
Registered
225 Posts
You're probably aware of the bowl-shaped curve about reliability. Age/miles is on the x axis and problems per 100 vehicles is on the y axis. Tthe 6 (like all other cars) has been designed to withstand "X" many miles. Initially cars have problems because not every part is perfect. Manufacturers try to catch problems, but you can't go over each part of a car with a fine-tooth comb. Over the first year or so, these crappy parts fail. This is normal. They get replaced with parts that are up to snuff.

After initial quality snafus, you usually have years of trouble-free operation. The defective parts have failed. All parts will work until they've reached their designed limits. So, if the throttle body is designed to withstand 100K miles, it should last that long (though, as we all know TBs are a common problem on this car...many defective parts).

As you approach the intended life of parts of the car, parts will start to fail and you'll get an increasing number of problems. Thus, the upward curve as the car ages past its intended life. This last curve gives the graph a bowl shape.

Your question is interesting because very few people have extremely high mileage on their 6s. I remember one member totaled his 6 at 93K and had zero problems until then. I'd be interested to know what problems people have had as their 6's age.

I've been out of warranty for 10.5K and *crosses fingers* nothing's gone wrong so far except under warranty (clutch shudder led to replacement of clutch at 41K under warranty, AC hoses failed at 49K). It'd be interesting to see what problems owners who are significantly out of warranty have experienced and when. I wouldn't expect anything major to fall apart before 75K or so.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have also ran out of my warranty awhile back. I'm at 71000 currently and have only had one or two TSB done to the vehicle. I get regular oil changes, keep all fluids up to par, etc. Haven't had anything break (knock on wood).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
10 Participants
Zoom Zoomer
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing