Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all - warranty-related question that I'd like to get a feel for, before I go talk to my dealer.

I've got a 2004 6s that was purchased right at the end of the model year, October of 2004. The car is therefore about a year and a half old age-wise, but has less than 10,000 miles, since I don't drive it every day.

I've got a vibration in my steering wheel/brakes that I think is warped rotors. That's a typical problem on the 6, it sounds like, but after a certain point some dealers/manufacturers will consider things like that to be normal wear-and-tear and won't cover it. On a car with less than 10K miles, though, I think it's a problem that I shouldn't have to pay to fix. Same thing for what I consider to be unusual wear on the leather seats, which I would like to get looked at/dealt with.

I wanted to get a feel for whether or not I should expect protests from the dealer, since I know some dealers won't fix that type of thing under warranty after 1yr/12K (because they figure it's from normal driving, not a warranty problem/defect). I just want to make sure I'm going into the conversation knowing what should be expected.

edit: if this is better off in the suspension/brakes section, my bad... figured it might get more attention in the main category.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I have a 2004 I just bought used, and there's a slight rattle behind the climate control panel on really bumpy roads (the roads in MD are such crap!). The dealer said since the car was past a year and 12k miles, I'd have to pay out of pocket for them to find the rattle. I guess it depends on the dealer though, if they want to do it for you.

I remember on a Jeep I had before, the rotors were bad at less than 10K miles, but it was a month over a year. The service writer told me the computer wouldn't accept it as a warranty claim, but since the miles were so low they did the fix gratis. I lucked out I guess, so maybe you can do the same. Good luck!

If not, then maybe upgrade to slotted rotors or something, to make the replacement worthwhile.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have a 2004 I just bought used, and there's a slight rattle behind the climate control panel on really bumpy roads (the roads in MD are such crap!). The dealer said since the car was past a year and 12k miles, I'd have to pay out of pocket for them to find the rattle. I guess it depends on the dealer though, if they want to do it for you.
[/b]
that's quite a different situation, though. At least for the '04 models, there was a 12mo/12K miles warranty for rattles/squeaks/noises.

I don't know if the dealer will take car of the rotors....my Nissan dealer did with well over 20K miles on my old Pathfinder. Can't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Brake TSB

Check out the TSB that Crossbow posted in the above link. I had the same problem with my brakes. My 04 6s was not built before the October 1 2003 date, and my mileage was at something like 18,000. The TSB specifically states that the warranty on brakes and rotors was extended to 36 months or 50,000 miles. The dealership had no problem covering all the parts and labor under warranty after I showed them the TSB. Just take it to the dealer, explain your problem and then show them the TSB. If they are a reputable dealer, they should cover everything.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
This is a dead link. Can you repost, I have a 04 and I'm curious incase I have any problems. Thanks! :D

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I had that problem but the dealer wouldn't cover it for me. I had my brakes replaced out of my own pocket. Then the TSB came out and I went back and they refused to honour it because I only had like 20% left on my pads. But the issue I had was that after they changed the brakes, it never squeaked again, so I argued that the old brake pads were of poor design and that they faded so fast maybe because of that, but they wouldn't budge. :(

·
Registered
275 Posts
As mentioned above, the dealer is under no obligation to fix under warranty outside of 12mo/12k. However, a superb dealer may still be willing to help. If your regular dealer will not, call competing dealers in your area. One might be willing to win your business.

On a side note, it is unlikely that your rotors are really warped. It is more likely that they simply have uneven deposits left by your pads from a panic stop or mild overheat. If you catch a deposit issue early enough, you can usually correct it with either a mild brake drag (search the web for the proper technique) or with emery cloth (if you are willing to spend the time and effort to remove the rotors).

If the deposit issue recurs (likely), the best solution is to replace the stock pads with aftermarket ones that have a slightly higher temp rating. Just be aware that if you go too aggressive with the higher heat rating (race pads) then you are likely to inherit noisy brakes and/or decreased stopping power when cold.

Best of luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
Monk
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing