Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After closely reading the warranty booklet that came with my 2004 6, I still have questions. Will an air intake modification, such as the AEM or CPE unit, void warranty service at a dealer? The information leaves some question.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
that would be a question to ask the service manager at the shop you bought it from.

IIRC, two of the mods that don't void warranty are intake and exhaust. there might be others, but generally speaking those two don't. your best bet is to ask the dealership for specifics in your situation.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
According to the service manager at MY dealer, it would void the warranty if it caused any damage to the car. And she was pretty certain it WOULD, though I'm not sure she knew what she was talking about. Sounded very "company line" to me.

Either way, I am too poor to get one right now, so I will wait until my warranty is expired...since I commute 75 miles one-way, I suspect that will be around Christmas time. :(

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
if you develop problems with the CAI attached, revert back to stock before taking the car to the dealership.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The mod cant void the whole warranty for the car. But they can refuse to work on a moded car. They can also not cover a part under warranty if the think the mod did damage to that part.

Intake wont likely damage any part ofther than the MAF so that should be relatively safe.

You could also just remove the intake and put stock box back on before taking the car in.

The only issue is with "significant mods" like the CPE MAFCI box that you have to wire into the computer, that mod could cause issues and its not exactly easy to undo/redo that thing like it is the intake part. Since the ECU is in charge of so much of the car if you damage that you can cause real issue.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
the last thing i'm going to to is bring my mod'd car to the dealer and complain about a system affected by the mod. that's pointing the finger at myself. it's not exactly difficult to replace the stock airbox & resonator and pull the MAFci box prior to visiting the dealer.

or you can just wait until the warranty is up to mod the car. personally, i buy new cars every year or two. i haven't owned a car out of warranty since i was a kid. sticking to stock is always an option.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your responses. Your comments have confirmed my original assumptions.

It sounds that if I have installed a CAI or other mod, then a dealer potentially can use it as an excuse to not provide service. As mentioned, an option is to switch back to stock before going into service.

Just to clarify the original question so there is no confusion. The point of the original question relates to cases when a dealer may use the mod as an excuse not to service, regardless of the actual cause of the problem. Although every dealer and situation is different, it is more of a warranty question about a dealers willingness to provide service. From what I heard, it will definitely give them a right to deny you.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
basically, here's what the Magnusson-Moss Warranty law says:
the dealer cannot cancel your warranty for mod'ing a car, however, if a part is directly proven to have failed as a result of the mod that part does not have to be covered by warranty.

the key points of the law are that the dealer saying they won't cover you because of a mod doesn't fly. they would have to PROVE that your mod caused the factory part to fail.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe you are right mk706. The dealer needs to prove that the problem is a direct result of the mod. However, you know as well as I do that you can't force the dealer to provide service. Plus trying to get service could turn into a large hassle and very time consuming.

The morale of the story is that if you are going to put on mods on you are at your own risk at the dealer. Unless the dealer is a friend the chances are you'll be challenged to get service if the problem has the slightest chance of being related.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
ntake wont likely damage any part ofther than the MAF so that should be relatively safe.
[/b]
The Cel codes that all the non CP-E intakes throw are "FUEL TRIM TOO LEAN." Some dealers will be smart enough to realize this is at low rpm's by looking at the FFD data, but other's might flag the car. Seeing the words "TOO LEAN" usually co-exists with photos of pistons with skylights. Without prior knowledge on why the codes are being thrown, it could be grounds for the warranty being denied on the entire engine.

We haven't see any short term damage occuring from the lean codes, but nothing has really been studied long term. Since all the codes usually occur when the engine is under very small loads (usually idling or crusing below 3000 rpm on the highway), I don't believe it will ever cause a serious engine issue, but try explaining that to some dealers.

Of course the CP-E mafci adjusts the entire fuel map, which the dealers wouldn't comprehend, they'd just see a black box + wires = doom.

As always (and per faqs), if you don't want to do your own maintance and troubleshooting on your car, please speak to your service manager prior to any mods. If you're lucky, they'll be excited and encourage you. They may even offer to install parts at a modest fee. Never know unless you ask.

And yes you can undo mod's before taking the car to a dealership...but what happens if something goes wrong when you're driving? Do you have the tools necessary to repair the car? Do you keep those tools in the car? Do you know how to work on the car?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
crossbow, great questions. Although the performance gains from mods are highly desired by most, there are a whole host of factors that you need to consider before moving forward with mods. I especially think the dealer's knowledge and capabilities play a large role. If all the dealers in your area are average or poor, then chances are they will not be aware of issue and how to adjust for it. To your point, they will most likely deny you service. Then the issue falls back to either complete the repairs yourself or pay someone else to fix it.

For example, there are roughly 5 to 10 dealers in a 30 mile radius from me and none of them are good, for a variety of reasons. I wouldn't even consider them decent. I have been to most of these 5 to 10 and none of them can deliver high quaility service at reasonable prices, and where you don't feel your are getting taken for a ride. The one all-around decent dealer I have found is the one where I purchased the vehicle and that's over 60 miles away. In case you are wondering why I went 60 miles away, that is quite an extensive story that I'll have to share at another time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
M6T
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing