Mazda 6 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was contacted by member "Stylett9" as interested in buying some Mazda 6s tails. I recieved a paypal payment from him before even finalizing an agreement, but it was through paypal so I figured it to be good. He asked to ship to his "work" at Wells Fargo Bank, b/c of thest at his home address. I thought this kinda odd too but decieded to do it. I went to UPS where they informed me the address zip code and city do not match and they could not ship. I went and called Paypal and they told me since he did not have a confirmed address with this member, that shipping the item to him, I would not be covered if Fraud were to have happened with the Funds....

I have contacted him, but either way I wanted to let members know that even if this guy is legit and checks out, to NOT ship to him through Paypal b/c your transaction will not be insured and the money you got will be taken back if it turns out the funds are fraudulent. Hope this is not the case with this member but better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
I'm a bit confused. You have the $ from him. The address doesn't match the zip. Not uncommon for someone to enter a zip code incorrectly.
Why wouldn't you ask the buyer to double check it instead of calling him out here? Or did you do that already?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I'm a bit confused. You have the $ from him. The address doesn't match the zip. Not uncommon for someone to enter a zip code incorrectly.
Why wouldn't you ask the buyer to double check it instead of calling him out here? Or did you do that already?[/b]
That's the problem, he doesn't have the $. If the funds are fraudulent he's got nothing.

·
Registered
293 Posts
^^because by the time paypal bills the buyers account (which is not always immediate) for the money and sees that the money actually isnt there, they will come back and take the money out of the sellers account, therefore leaving the seller without any money or product

sorry to butt in :)

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
He asked to ship to his "work" at Wells Fargo Bank, b/c of thest at his home address. I thought this kinda odd too but decieded to do it.[/b]
What is so odd about that? I do that with every single one of my items I've baught off members. Sometimes UPS and others do not require a signature or care to get one and just throw the crap on the doorstep for anyone to take (had it happend to me once which is why I don't get ANYTHING shipped to my place now)..

There is nothing odd that he wants it shipped to his work instead of his house..... I just had a member send me a set of revers glow gauges to my work instead of my house. it's normal man...

I think you should delete this entire post before you end up making someone look bad that so far has not done a single thing wrong yet......

I know you are warning. but you have no reason to make someone look bad yet. As he hasn't done anythin yet. USually members wait a few weeks, when they know for sure they have been scammed. Instead of call possible warning to a person before the process has even begun.

Here is the easiest way to not get scammed.. WAIT A FEW DAYS... for the payment to go through. once it is secured in your account.. Send out the tails.... Do not send ANYTHING out, no matter what, Untill you have a the money guarantee'd in your account. Be smart about it man... Email him back. make sure he gave you the zip correct..... re-get the entire addy from him.... maybe he mistyped it..

After all.. Why would he give you a fake addy to rip you off.. he wouldn't get anything if he purposley sent a non existant address// If anything. The addy would work just fine.

·
Registered
275 Posts
^^because by the time paypal bills the buyers account (which is not always immediate) for the money and sees that the money actually isnt there, they will come back and take the money out of the sellers account, therefore leaving the seller without any money or product

sorry to butt in :)[/b]
thanks for the reply, i did not know this could happen and i sell a lot of things through paypal. It hasn't happened to me yet or else i'd know about it but now i know :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
thanks for the reply, i did not know this could happen and i sell a lot of things through paypal. It hasn't happened to me yet or else i'd know about it but now i know :)[/b]

just to clear things up guys, fear turtle has jumped the gun a little

first of all my money is not fraudulent, paypal put a 5 business day hold on the funds after they were transfered to his account so that already guarantees the funds could not be returned. I'm currently trying to communicate with the seller to get this resolved. Please no bad assumptions about me yet.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i feel for this guy, i really do. the internet is a very sketchy place to do business. but seriously, this is probably thread number 3000 (#2 from fearturtle, if i'm not mistaken) on this forum bashing somebody's integrity. if no fraud has actually been committed, then i think we're jumping the proverbial gun here.

member bashing threads are something you have to earn <cough>Pathik</cough>. you need to get fucked six ways to sunday before you get the green light to unabashedly destroy someone.

your efforts are dually noted, turtle who instills fear, but please make sure you ACTUALLY took it in the ass before you come crying rape.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
i feel for this guy, i really do. the internet is a very sketchy place to do business. but seriously, this is probably thread number 3000 (#2 from fearturtle, if i'm not mistaken) on this forum bashing somebody's integrity. if no fraud has actually been committed, then i think we're jumping the proverbial gun here.

member bashing threads are something you have to earn <cough>Pathik</cough>. you need to get fucked six ways to sunday before you get the green light to unabashedly destroy someone.

your efforts are dually noted, turtle who instills fear, but please make sure you ACTUALLY took it in the ass before you come crying rape.[/b]
+1

In all reality. I think the mods should delete this entire thread all together. A new one can be made if something fradulant DOES happen. later down the road. BUt I think it is very unfair to the buyer, who has done nothing wrong, To possibly get his reputation ruined over something that's not even happened.

·
Registered
122 Posts
+1

In all reality. I think the mods should delete this entire thread all together. A new one can be made if something fradulant DOES happen. later down the road. BUt I think it is very unfair to the buyer, who has done nothing wrong, To possibly get his reputation ruined over something that's not even happened.[/b]

thanks for the support guys, like mentioned above, i transfered my funds through paypal and have already been sitting in his account for nearly 10 business days. If my funds were fraud, they would have returned by now. All i want are the taillights that i paid him for, and i want them shipped to my work which is a wellsfargo BANK. He can look this up online if he thinks its a fake address. AND i explained reason being is because i have alot of trouble kids that loiter in my street so i do not want ups dropping them off and just sitting at my doorstep while i'm at work.

Fearturtle, please read the PM i sent you and lets get this resolved PLEASE. I have been without taillights for nearly 3 weeks now and cannot drive my car.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
That is weak turtle. Id be pist if you did this to me. This thread should be deleted.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
I've left this open merely to show people how NOT to react to an event. We've also historically left things open going the other way (not with these people involved in this thread mind you) as well so I think this is fair to do so.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What is so odd about that? I do that with every single one of my items I've baught off members. Sometimes UPS and others do not require a signature or care to get one and just throw the crap on the doorstep for anyone to take (had it happend to me once which is why I don't get ANYTHING shipped to my place now)..

There is nothing odd that he wants it shipped to his work instead of his house..... I just had a member send me a set of revers glow gauges to my work instead of my house. it's normal man...

I think you should delete this entire post before you end up making someone look bad that so far has not done a single thing wrong yet......

I know you are warning. but you have no reason to make someone look bad yet. As he hasn't done anythin yet. USually members wait a few weeks, when they know for sure they have been scammed. Instead of call possible warning to a person before the process has even begun.
Here is the easiest way to not get scammed.. WAIT A FEW DAYS... for the payment to go through. once it is secured in your account.. Send out the tails.... Do not send ANYTHING out, no matter what, Untill you have a the money guarantee'd in your account. Be smart about it man... Email him back. make sure he gave you the zip correct..... re-get the entire addy from him.... maybe he mistyped it..

After all.. Why would he give you a fake addy to rip you off.. he wouldn't get anything if he purposley sent a non existant address// If anything. The addy would work just fine.[/b]

I never once said anything about this member being a POS or fraudulent himself. After talking to paypal and my bank I simply am stating fact that I almost overlooked, which is evident by the fact that i tried to ship the item, which is when people such as this member do not have a verified address with Paypal they will not cover you in fraud cases or if the buyer simply claims he never got the item, thus leaving the shipper out of item and money. I never once slandered the member, but with how much fruad takes place on the internet I was stating FACT of the situation. THe fact that Paypal is used with an unverified address is basically the same as sending a personal check in the mail.

I thought it was all good since paypal cleared it and then i went to put it in my bank account, but i was wrong there. They said the bank will clear the check after it is sent to the federal clearing center, but it is very common in dealing with fraud cases that its found out the funds are fraudlent up to 1-2 months after the fact and the money is then debited out of the users account since the money does not belong to them. I have been a victim of this scam before when trying to sell my car, and wanted to do nothing more than put a warning out on the forum. It has absolutely 0 bearing what the member would have to say, I was just merely stating a fact that you NEED to be careful b/c if a buyer has an unconfirmed paypal address (like this member did) the seller is granted no protection against fraud.

If you do not care about this then do not post. Paypal puts things in place like verifying addresses for a reason, and when it is not done I do not think that raising a red flag is at all out of line. IT would be nice to be able to trust people on their word and not have to deal with this shit, but after already being put through it once, I have no desire to go through it again. This member could be the nicest person in the world, or Mother Thersea for all i know, but without some sort of protection I will not sell, and everyone is a lying to themselves if they say they would without some sort of seller protection.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I never once said anything about this member being a POS or fraudulent himself. After talking to paypal and my bank I simply am stating fact that I almost overlooked, which is evident by the fact that i tried to ship the item, which is when people such as this member do not have a verified address with Paypal they will not cover you in fraud cases or if the buyer simply claims he never got the item, thus leaving the shipper out of item and money. I never once slandered the member, but with how much fruad takes place on the internet I was stating FACT of the situation. THe fact that Paypal is used with an unverified address is basically the same as sending a personal check in the mail.

I thought it was all good since paypal cleared it and then i went to put it in my bank account, but i was wrong there. They said the bank will clear the check after it is sent to the federal clearing center, but it is very common in dealing with fraud cases that its found out the funds are fraudlent up to 1-2 months after the fact and the money is then debited out of the users account since the money does not belong to them. I have been a victim of this scam before when trying to sell my car, and wanted to do nothing more than put a warning out on the forum. It has absolutely 0 bearing what the member would have to say, I was just merely stating a fact that you NEED to be careful b/c if a buyer has an unconfirmed paypal address (like this member did) the seller is granted no protection against fraud.

If you do not care about this then do not post. Paypal puts things in place like verifying addresses for a reason, and when it is not done I do not think that raising a red flag is at all out of line. IT would be nice to be able to trust people on their word and not have to deal with this shit, but after already being put through it once, I have no desire to go through it again. This member could be the nicest person in the world, or Mother Thersea for all i know, but without some sort of protection I will not sell, and everyone is a lying to themselves if they say they would without some sort of seller protection.[/b]

First of all, When we engaged in this transaction to begin with, i specifically asked for your bank information to possibly go to your bank and deposit cash so that there would be no questions asked. But you insisted i transfer via paypal. I did not have paypal, so i quickly made one and linked it to my personal bank account to transfer to you. NOW WHOEVER told you that it takes 1-2 months for an item to clear, is complete utter bullshit. I WORK FOR A BANK. I would know. EVERY BANK IN THE USA that complies with Federal regulation has FEDERAL STANDARDS on how long to hold money to verify its cleared, and the maximum hold ANY BANK in the USA can implement is a 10 business day hold. AND if your going to give me some excuse that it could take longer because of mail you are absolutely wrong there. Federal complying banks are no longer allowed to transport checks in the mail so EVERYTHING is done electronically after 9-11.

Ive tried to giveyou as much proof as possible but apparently things are not working out. Anyhow, I'm sure everyone that reads this post will see another post from me shortly for taillights, and all i ask is that every consider what i had to say so they arent drawn away to do business with me.

Michael

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
^^^ Good for you. Just out of principal I would have to have thought about going this route. To post your screen name so quick is a personal stab, IMO. If the point was just to make other users aware of flaws in "the system" than your name would not be needed.

·
Registered
412 Posts
i agree.. i think turtle jumped the gun here.. not everyone has paypal. It would be alright to have a post warning about unconfirmed paypal addresses and the like in general, and what precautions to take online, but u said explicity not to ship to him, which isnt cool.

·
Registered
303 Posts
If I was part of this transaction I would be f'in pissed. Nice job throwing a guy through the mud before you even try to resolve it with him.

Guess the title should be "Beware of Seller". I have taken note and I am sure others have as well.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.