Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, I had been on the fence about putting dedicated snow tires on and now I am glad that I decided not to buy them. I would have put them on a few weeks ago already and we have yet to see any snow in Southern New England. I'm still riding the summer tires, which admittedly is pretty stupid because at some point we will get hit with some snow, even if a few inches and these OEMs are said to be pucks in any snow.

But so far, the OEM summers have been fine in the Winter, given the fact that 'Winter' has meant 50-60 degree days and no snow. :goon: Anyone here forced to take their snows back off the Speed6 because of the lack of snow? I think I'd be inclined to do so because wearing that specialized rubber on dry asphalt would be a waste.

I was looking forward to running the car in some snow, even if only on all-seasons.

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Wow, I had been on the fence about putting dedicated snow tires on and now I am glad that I decided not to buy them. I would have put them on a few weeks ago already and we have yet to see any snow in Southern New England. I'm still riding the summer tires, which admittedly is pretty stupid because at some point we will get hit with some snow, even if a few inches and these OEMs are said to be pucks in any snow.

But so far, the OEM summers have been fine in the Winter, given the fact that 'Winter' has meant 50-60 degree days and no snow. :goon: Anyone here forced to take their snows back off the Speed6 because of the lack of snow? I think I'd be inclined to do so because wearing that specialized rubber on dry asphalt would be a waste.

I was looking forward to running the car in some snow, even if only on all-seasons.[/b]
I'm up here in NH and I'm glad we are having this sort of winter. I won't be getting dedicated snows until next season when funds allow because I refuse to get just tires and play the switch game every fall and spring. It's expensive to do it that way, and not to mention how some of these "tire shops" treat rims. I'm going to go with a set of 17's and a probably the Dunlops next year so when snow is coming, I can just jack up the car and throw them on in a 1/2 hour or so, and vice versa when we get a stretch of warmer weather.

I drove a RWD modified Mustang in the winter the past 14 years, and I made it around ok...but I got a set of Blizzaks for it.The one thing I haven't noticed is the supposed drop in performance when it gets colder out. Granted, it hasn't been that cold, but we have had some mornings in the teens and low 20's, and they seemed to grip fine.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I've got my snows on, and I've been a bit upset about the warm weather. But, to me, I'd rather wear out the 130 dollar snow tires than the 250 dollar potenzas.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yeah im pretty pissed i put snows on at this point.

Not really concerned about wear though, as the oem rubber wears fast too. Spring I'll be buying rims and mounting OEM rubber. I'll be pissed if i dont get to try out the ms6 in the snow at least once or twice, though...

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
You are wrong, any snow accumulation or ice on the road at all and you will get no traction whatsoever. Unless you want to coast around in 1st gear and allow 500 feet to stop, then don't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
I've got my snows on, and I've been a bit upset about the warm weather. But, to me, I'd rather wear out the 130 dollar snow tires than the 250 dollar potenzas.[/b]
I suppose if you have them on stock rims, that's true. Of course, it would bug me that dedicated snows generally suck on normal pavement. I know when I have Blizzaks on the Mustang and the roads are dry...they are terrible and squirm all over the place.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
P.S. it's snowing here rightnow. First time since before Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Oh it's coming...It's gonna come hard...

don't believe me? Jan 22nd we will be seeing snow

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
You are wrong, any snow accumulation or ice on the road at all and you will get no traction whatsoever. Unless you want to coast around in 1st gear and allow 500 feet to stop, then don't worry about it.[/b]
Are you talking about summer tires under that condition?

I'm thinking if I should bother snow tires ever again...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I suppose if you have them on stock rims, that's true. Of course, it would bug me that dedicated snows generally suck on normal pavement. I know when I have Blizzaks on the Mustang and the roads are dry...they are terrible and squirm all over the place.[/b]
I've got my snows on dedicated rims which are a couple pounds lighter than stock. Also, the tires themselves are ultra high performance snows so the car still handles very well.

I figure if they don't pay for themselves this year, there's always 2008 etc etc

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
You are wrong, any snow accumulation or ice on the road at all and you will get no traction whatsoever. Unless you want to coast around in 1st gear and allow 500 feet to stop, then don't worry about it.[/b]
I'll probably see how bad they are in a parking lot or something if we ever get any snow. Regardless, I'm only about 10 miles from work, and I will just drive the Mustang with the Blizzaks to keep the salt off the MS6. The Mustang already has rust on the wheels wells, so can't really hurt it any more. ;)

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've got my snows on dedicated rims which are a couple pounds lighter than stock. Also, the tires themselves are ultra high performance snows so the car still handles very well.

I figure if they don't pay for themselves this year, there's always 2008 etc etc[/b]

Yeah I have the 18" perelli sottozeros on the OEM rims. Wet/Dry so far they're great, a little sloppier than the potenzas but I expected that. It's not like I'm autocrossing in them daily :drive:

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Are you talking about summer tires under that condition?

I'm thinking if I should bother snow tires ever again...[/b]
Yes

·
Registered
378 Posts
I suppose if you have them on stock rims, that's true. Of course, it would bug me that dedicated snows generally suck on normal pavement. I know when I have Blizzaks on the Mustang and the roads are dry...they are terrible and squirm all over the place.[/b]
I put some Hankook Icebears w300's on OEM 17's this fall and have also been disappointed at the lack of snow. However, I have yet to notice a performance decrease at all. They were fairly inexpensive ($109/ea) and performance rated but I still expected worse.

I REALLY wish we had a nice snowfall though, so I could take a bit of a drive up north and see how this puppy drifts! :) (not the ub3r cool style drifting...)

·
Registered
870 Posts
It's snowed here quite a few times. It melted quickly but I don't ever want to experience snow with the stock tires again. So it doesn't bother me too much.

I just miss doing donuts in the parking lots :D I've only had one opportunity this year.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I just miss doing donuts in the parking lots :D I've only had one opportunity this year.[/b]
I know what you mean. But you can really only do it when there's a couple inches of fresh snow anyway. Normally it gets cleared away too quickly and doens't accumulate.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I know what you mean. But you can really only do it when there's a couple inches of fresh snow anyway. Normally it gets cleared away too quickly and doens't accumulate.[/b]
We get that fairly often. And it's generaly cold enough for it to stay. Certainly not this year. I enjoy it so much I'll actually go out and find a parking lot when there's some fresh snow. I've got issue's...

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
We get that fairly often. And it's generaly cold enough for it to stay. Certainly not this year. I enjoy it so much I'll actually go out and find a parking lot when there's some fresh snow. I've got issue's...[/b]
:laugh: We usually get very small amounts of snow often. It usually gets pushed aside or plowed away before you can have any fun. That and I think the roads are made out of salt now

·
Registered
69 Posts

I was looking forward to running the car in some snow, even if only on all-seasons.[/b]
Well I am sure I am speaking for a lot of Coloradans when I say...TAKE SOME OF OUR SNOW!! Had about 65 inches in the last 3 weeks. Add the 80mph wind gusts from last night and things have sucked here lately! Plus another 6-12 inches is forecast for Thursday. Great skiing though!

You are right though, if you get caught in a storm with the OEM summers on, you will be in a world of hurt. AWD and TCS don't help when the tires won't grip.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I want to go take my board to Crested Butte.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts