Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mazda 6 (luxury sedan in Australia) is equipped with Automatic Climate Control (ACC). With the ACC turned off and the Air Intake selector set to Outside, I am finding the air coming out of the air vent is actually noticeably warmer than the outside air. Is anyone experiencing the same? I have a feeling something is not right, and perhaps the hot air near the engine is getting sucked through somehow.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Warm air from air vent?'

Yes!

I have noticed the same. As soon as the outside temp is anything over about 22 degrees C the AirCon needs to be on. Also the volume of air flowing from the vents isn't that high when on fresh air. Basically the fan needs to be always on. Pretty annoying as I prefer to have fan off when it's not too hot. Should've ordered that sunroof! (I have a classic Hatch).

My guess is that the ventilation system is designed to always have the AirCon and fan running at all times? Seems pretty stupid. Oh well.

·
Registered
510 Posts

What about.........

Closing the vents and winding down some windows !!! :hoho :hoho

Sorry I am in a cheeky mood at the moment !!!

·
Registered
60 Posts

Ha Ha.

Try that on the freeway at 120 clicks for an hour and then tell me you still want the windows wound down ya smart ass! (j/k)

Seriously though, you haven't noticed the ventilation as being slightly lacking when the fan and AC are off?

·
Registered
510 Posts

Seriously though, you haven't noticed the ventilation as being slightly lacking when the fan and AC are off?[/b]
Yes, I have actually .........I usually turn the fan onto its lowest setting, which should be sufficient to get some air-flow through the car !!

I am lucky in also having the sunroof for the extra ventilation as well...

I have also had probs driving the car when its raining heavily and getting the Front window all fogged up, putting the Demist onto Fresh air still causes it to fog up, I think its a fine line with adjusting the internal Temperature of the car compared to what the outside temp is & what the actual outside humidity is as well !!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts

Yes, the lowest fan setting is what I use as well and that seems to be OK and not too noisy.

Can't say that I've noticed the demisting problem to which you refer. I did drive in some reasonable heavy rain and no problems so far. Mind you I've only done 1500 kays.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Even if you turn the fan on at low speed, what I hate is that you still get warm air in unless you turn on the Air con as well, wasting petrol and power.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

I have experienced this in every car I have owned. If all controls are off, but the vents are open (to circulate air from outside); the air coming into the car is always warm.

I always thought it had something to do with the engine warming the air that was then pushed thru the vents.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

I've noticed a smell like the one that always comes out of the rear end of a catlyse cleaned car. Problem is the smell sometimes comes even when driving (and there's no car ahead of you).

This gives me a feeling air from around the engine somewhere probably is sipping in to the cabin. Thoughts, anyone?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Originally posted by applejax

I have experienced this in every car I have owned.  If all controls are off, but the vents are open (to circulate air from outside); the air coming into the car is always warm.

I always thought it had something to do with the engine warming the air that was then pushed thru the vents.[/b]
That is strange Applejax. With other cars I owned previously, the vents opened to outside will bring in fresh outside air without the temperature being affected by the engine. I think the air inlet passage way from the outside on the M6 must be taking hot air near the engine somehow.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

The cold air intake is where it usually is - at the down end of the windscreen. So...for hot air to come in that way, the hood must be improperly sealed. And I have problems beleiving that theory after all.

Then I'm more leaning towards the explanation that some of the cold air sips through the heat exchanger package somehow. Or that a faulty motor doesn't close some vent door completely inside.

Strange it is, anyway...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Odd - even in my MR2's with the engine in the rear (or middle, actually); I still felt as if the vent pumped in somewhat warmer air... Maybe I'm just on crack.

·
Registered
32 Posts

You guys till feeling the warm air coming through the vents when the air is significantly cooler outside (with fan and ac off, free air selected AND temp at 60 when on)?

·
Registered
31 Posts

I have also noticed the same. Take a real close look at the base of your windshield, and you will see that there are no openings to draw fresh air.

The only openings that I have found on that cowling, are visable when you open up the hood. See for yourself.

·
Registered
221 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

I've noticed a smell like the one that always comes out of the rear end of a catlyse cleaned car. Problem is the smell sometimes comes even when driving (and there's no car ahead of you).

This gives me a feeling air from around the engine somewhere probably is sipping in to the cabin. Thoughts, anyone?
I've noticed that after I turn off the AC, the air that comes out of the vents really stinks. It smells like mildew or something like that. My car is two months old. I remember reading something from the users manual about trying to keep the outside vents below the wiper clean so that air entering the cabin continues to smell fresh. Anyone know how to clean out those vents?

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Warm air from air vent?'

I notice the warm air when I first start the car and start driving, but after a bit of driving the air coming out of the vents seems to cool down.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Warm air from air vent?'

TRY THIS: turn on your ACC, what's your tem setting? warm temp? then set the temp to the lowest, 15 degree C, 60 f, and turn it off again

now does the air feel warm anymore?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts