Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Girls,

As an Australian M6 owner, I'm seeking advice from all owners as to the availability of a factory ABS on/off switch be it a push on - push off type or rocker type switch.

I want the switch to look intergrated and with a factory look.

As a frequent driver in the snow, can anybody tell me if Mazda make a switch marked ABS and what electricial wire would be necessary to arm and disarm the ABS.

Warren

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Reading Topic: Wanted .... On/Off ABS Switch

Why would you want that? Stats show that ABS is beneficial in all conditions.

·
Registered
319 Posts

Not necessarily. I believe in snow, ABS braking distances are actually longer.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Wanted .... On/Off ABS Switch'

Originally posted by Jerome81

Not necessarily.  I believe in snow, ABS braking distances are actually longer.[/b]
Yes they are. But better in the fact that they allow you to control the car, Ie. To steer and thus avert an accident.

This has proven to be more effective than stopping sooner.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Hi Kincaid,

I agree that ABS in the hand of an above average or below average driver, will always stop quicker and maintain complete directional control on hard surfaces, be they wet or dry.

On "loose dirt" or snow, ABS falls far behind. On ice and snow for example the distance to stop may be up to 2.5 to 3 times longer (in Europe and the USA they generally have specially designed winter tyres which work well with ABS).

But I'm talking about tyres and roads in Australia. The average speed on actual ice and snow (not mud and slush) is normally just below 40kph, so just stopping is the most important thing. Have you tried steering on ice and snow - its a slow motion affair. Using power is a more effective way of steering, controlling the rear end of your car on ice or snow.

On "loose dirt", the quicker your tyres stop rotating and form a "plow" - building up a barrier in front of the tyre, the sooner you'll stop.The average NSW country dirt road wouldn't be classed as loose dirt. Thus ABS would work well in this instance.

I have done a few years of rallying and a lot of snow driving, so my comments and research have merit in this area and hope you don't this message the wrong way, its just a friendly opinion.

In Europe most Audi, Mercedes Benz, BMW and VW models, nearly always comes with an ABS on/off switch mounted near the gear selector, purely for this reason.

·
Registered
791 Posts

There is a fuse for the traction control and ABS. I don't know which it is, as my care does not have ABS/TCS. However, you could follow these wires, and hook them up to a switch of your choice, mounted in a position of your choice.

That's how I'd do it. Dunno how Mazda does it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I appreciate everybody's idea's but simply placing a switch on the ABS fuse ajacent to the fuse busbar is forte with danger.

Being an airline pilot and having a very good understanding of complex multi-task electrical systems, one would need to thoughly study a complete electrical schematic to ensure other systems are not interconnected or related ... eg: common earth's, power supplies, relays etc.

I'll try contacting a European Dealer to source information on their ABS system.

Warren

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by WRW-Australia

Hi Kincaid,

I agree that ABS in the hand of an above average or below average driver, will always stop quicker and maintain complete directional control on hard surfaces, be they wet or dry.[/b]
From what I understand, this was true until recently. It would appear as though the ABS systems have advanced to the point where even an experienced driver won't "outbrake" them. That said, ABS is not a neccesity, but I wouldn't complain about it.

*disclaimer - I've never performed my own testing to support this claim.

On "loose dirt" or snow, ABS falls far behind.[/b]
The consensus on this is true, although I'd question the snow aspect.

I'm a fan of ABS. It's saved my butt twice. Not for any actual stopping, but allowing me control while the brake pedal was slammed to the floor.

·
Registered
341 Posts

My 94 Taurus had that exact problem with it's ABS. It worked great in rain and dry pavement, but sand and snow kicked it's ass! I bumped the back of a truck in the snow because my ABS wasn't able to stop me from ~3mph in less than 35', and then drove under my friends porch because loose sand and ABS don't mix. Like WRW Australia said, the tire didn't lock up and no "scoop" was formed, so under his porch I went! No damage to my car in either case, but a locked tire in both cases would have stopped me. And the truck driver accused me of bending his bumper under (it was already damaged before I hit him); and got his rusty piece of shit fixed via my insurance company, though.

Joe

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

Ouch. I dont need a switch.
My 6 come without ABS. But brake very very nice

·
Registered
418 Posts

IMHO, the ABS 'system' should not be messed around with 'after market'. But WRW seems to be approaching this in a 'considered' way.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

There's been a couple of times I have approached stop signs real slow in ice and slid right through the stop signs, thanks to ABS. I had a scary experience once where I almost crashed into a building because the car could not stop me, But 99% of the time ABS is helpful, I suppose :)

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

Even if you do slide, ABS gives you control over the slide, which is more important than mere stopping power.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts