Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 06 6s hatchback they weigh about 3300 right? i'm taking the spare tire out of the trunk and i'm thinking of getting light weight fly wheels to add some hp, what else can i do to reduce weight and add some hp???

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
CPE battery tray, CF hood. Remove the back seats, door pannels, interior carpet, go to the gym...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol i weigh 126 not too heavy.... and thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
there really isn't a whole ton you can do to a 4 door sedan to lower weight unless you do as dabears said and strip your car down.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Dude I know has a stripped integra..no back seats...metal interior....lightweight wheels...that sucker Moves!!!
but the inside is ugly, and not very accomodating, or even safe in an accident....

Is it worth it?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Dude I know has a stripped integra..no back seats...metal interior....lightweight wheels...that sucker Moves!!!
but the inside is ugly, and not very accomodating, or even safe in an accident....

Is it worth it?
[/b]
funny you say that...there is a kid around here that removes his integra door windows in the summer time. its actually pretty laughable...we are all hoping to witness a downpour while he farts on by. so not only does he lose ALLL (sarcasm) that weight, but manages to parachute the back seat while at WOT. Genius really LOL.

rule athumb...windows up, AC off :)

·
Registered
508 Posts
Even though weight really makes a difference in car speed, Sometimes people can strip thier cars too far, just don't go overboard with it, lightweight parts is one good step like those lightweight rims mentioned above. :)

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
good to know someone else is as light as me, lol

at this point, with the car weighing 3300lbs or so, you should really just look into getting more power instead of saving weight. its pretty pointless unless you're gonna make it a racecar or simply have zero use for a lot of the interior stuff.

so everything Dabears said + removing the AC. thats even better :D

·
Registered
532 Posts
Another thing you can do to reduce weight. Don't fill up all the way. I fill up half tank, that's probably a 5lb savings at least.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Another thing you can do to reduce weight. Don't fill up all the way. I fill up half tank, that's probably a 5lb savings at least.
[/b]

Thats one way, not sure it'll make much of a difference :sarc: , but it is a way, when the U.S. wanted to make bombing runs with thier bombers off thier aircraft carriers, they dropped off thier fuel/guns to allow the bombers to be light enough to fly off the carriers.....thats a frigging aircraft though, but at 5 lbs on a car...just exercise a few weeks and lose that weight off your body if your really desperate, killing 2 birds with one stone. :p

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
[/b]
lets see, gas is 7.2lbs/gallon X 9 gallons (1/2 tank). correct me if i'm wrong but that's just a shade more than 5lbs :slap:

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Another thing you can do to reduce weight. Don't fill up all the way. I fill up half tank, that's probably a 5lb savings at least. [/b]
gasoline weighs aprox 6 or so pounds per gallon, so it would be more than a 5 pound savings.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Thats one way, not sure it'll make much of a difference :sarc: , but it is a way, when the U.S. wanted to make bombing runs with thier bombers off thier aircraft carriers, they dropped off thier fuel/guns to allow the bombers to be light enough to fly off the carriers.....thats a frigging aircraft though, but at 5 lbs on a car...just exercise a few weeks and lose that weight off your body if your really desperate, killing 2 birds with one stone. :p [/b]
You're refering to the WWII B-25 raids on the Japanese mainland. Those planes we stripped of every possible extra pound of weight, partially because they had to fit them with a large auxiliary fuel tank to give them enough to make it to the Japanese mainland. Even so, they were on the knife-edge of having enough airspeed to lift off by the time they got to the end of the carrier deck. Every pound of weight was critical.
This was also before the steam catapults used on today's carriers, those B25's had only the power of their two engines to get them aloft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doolittle_Raid

1 - 20 of 26 Posts