Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve had my Mazda 6 for 2 years now I’ve enjoyed every bit of it recently just getting it back up after I blew an engine. But I’ve noticed I want more power. I don’t see many turbo kits and seen a lot of DIY ideas same for super chargers I’ve seen the MSDS headers and Weapon R racing and not sure how well they perform either. If anyone has any product lines that are more bolt ons and worth it please send it my way. Anything helps.

·
Rally Racer
1,760 Posts
So I’ve had my Mazda 6 for 2 years now I’ve enjoyed every bit of it recently just getting it back up after I blew an engine. But I’ve noticed I want more power. I don’t see many turbo kits and seen a lot of DIY ideas same for super chargers I’ve seen the MSDS headers and Weapon R racing and not sure how well they perform either. If anyone has any product lines that are more bolt ons and worth it please send it my way. Anything helps.

A great starting point would be to let us know what year Mazda and your equipped powertrain.

·
Registered
603 Posts
You profile pic looks like a 1st gen but the exact year and engine would be very helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I’️ve had my Mazda 6 for 2 years now I’️ve enjoyed every bit of it recently just getting it back up after I blew an engine. But I’️ve noticed I want more power. I don’️t see many turbo kits and seen a lot of DIY ideas same for super chargers I’️ve seen the MSDS headers and Weapon R racing and not sure how well they perform either. If anyone has any product lines that are more bolt ons and worth it please send it my way. Anything helps.

A great starting point would be to let us know what year Mazda and your equipped powertrain.
You profile pic looks like a 1st gen but the exact year and engine would be very helpful

It’s a first gen 2003 and it’s a 3.0L v6 I haven’t seen much for it so I’m trying to see if anyone knows of stuff I’m missing.

·
Registered
603 Posts
heres what Ive done to mine

CAI
EGR reroute
TB coolant line delete
Gutted CATs
muffler delete for a single straight through magnaflow

I've noticed a reasonable gain on the low end you can also swap your ignition coils for the mustang ones but I haven't done that yet. Unfortunately theres not any reasonable tuning options for the V6, I think Twisted Tuning makes on but its a little pricey.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It’s a first gen 2003 and it’s a 3.0L v6 I haven’t seen much for it so I’m trying to see if anyone knows of stuff I’m missing.
I have the msds headers on mine and I really enjoy them. Can definitely feel a difference in power and adds a nice sound.
A cold air intake is another easy to do upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
@bluedevil6;5035984

What did you do for the EGR reroute, what did you need, and how long did it take you? On my 04' I've done the EGR mod where I cut a large portion of the stem off. But I've seen nothing on a reroute?

·
Registered
603 Posts
@bluedevil6;5035984

What did you do for the EGR reroute, what did you need, and how long did it take you? On my 04' I've done the EGR mod where I cut a large portion of the stem off. But I've seen nothing on a reroute?

This is what I have done currently
Basically you are cutting the EGR tube and making it pull in fresh air instead of exhaust

I’m thinking of changing it to run a hose to elbow of my CAI, that’s what most people do (or the factory air box if you don’t have a CAI)

·
Registered
435 Posts
This is what I have done currently
Basically you are cutting the EGR tube and making it pull in fresh air instead of exhaust

I’m thinking of changing it to run a hose to elbow of my CAI, that’s what most people do (or the factory air box if you don’t have a CAI)

Nice!! Has it thrown any codes for it being so close to the EGR like that? The reason I ask is because I though I had seen some post from way back that having it close like that would toss some readings that the EGR wouldn't like. That's why when I did my EGR reroute and optimize I ran it back the the stock air cleaner. I did have the air box mod as well.

Op, I did my EGR mod and reroute, grounded my TB, deleted the TB coolant, and the air box mod all in 1 afternoon. Beings that you have an 03 S (same as me) I strongly recommend that you do the EGR reroute ASAP!! When I did mine I had caked up cat dust inside the EGR pipe that goes into the intake manifold. After seeing that, I ended up taking the manifold off and cleaning and wiping it as much as I could. I'm glad I EGR reroute because I believe it saved the engine. Btw, these are the 1st mods I did. These are all easy and very cheap (free even) mods to do. 1 even can save the life of the engine.

·
Registered
435 Posts

Here is a pic of mine. The green and copper looking pipe was ran to the stock air box. When I did the CIA, I just put the small breather on the end and let it hang out next to it.:thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
435 Posts
@bluedevil6 do you cap off where your exhaust used to meet up to the EGR valve? Or is that just left open for debris and exhaust to flow?
Even though I'm not bluedevil6, I have done this mod and yes, you HAVE to cap off the exhaust manifold. I found a brass cap at home depot and just crossed it the best I could. Been like that for 4 years now with no issues. I can't remember the size that it was but I took a piece of clay and pressed it onto the threads to get an imprint. Took the clay imprint to the store and matched it up.

·
Registered
603 Posts
@DJ Raydiate I never got a CEL for it like that not sure if it was just luck or if it really doesn’t matter lol

·
Registered
603 Posts
@bluedevil6 do you cap off where your exhaust used to meet up to the EGR valve? Or is that just left open for debris and exhaust to flow?

I used some pliers and smashed the end coming from the manifold enough to weld it closed it took all of like 30 minutes most of which was because I couldn’t get the tube to unbolt from the EGR

·
Registered
435 Posts
@DJ Raydiate I never got a CEL for it like that not sure if it was just luck or if it really doesn’t matter lol

That's good to know for others wanting to do the mod. I may have gotten confused reading it back in the day now that I think about it. It may have been about removing the EGR all together and just leaving it plugged in that would have cause the cel issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
6 Participants
White knight6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing