Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Given my commute in DC metro area, having a manual isn't high up on my priorities. Stinger GT is auto as is the G70 with a V6, i think only the 4 cyl 2.0 comes with a manual option. Both cars tick all the boxes that i am looking for in a sporty sedan that'll make my commute bearable, and are hence in my short list as potential replacement when i retire my Mazda.

·
Administrator
8,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Some people (myself included) were disappointed when Mazda decided that only the Sport trim would receive a manual transmission option for 2018. Now, Mazda has gone a step further and removed the manual option altogether. Starting in 2019, those wishing to row their own gears will only have the Mazda 3 Grand Touring or the Miata MX5 as their choices.

Read more about it here
Merging threads...

Carry on. :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
2019 Mazda 6 ditches the 6MT in the US

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/03/2019-mazda6-ditches-the-six-speed-manual/

Idiots. Mazda is claiming the decision is based on "declining market demand" without recognizing how much they contributed to accelerating killing that demand by removing the 6MT from the Touring spec last year. I opted for a left-over 2017.5 6MT because getting the 2018 Sport would have meant losing a ton of features that were available in the previous year's Touring model and putting up with the ugly weird new cloth upholstery.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
They can do whatever the hell they want.

My MTX "6" has 170,000 miles on it right now. The clutch is fine.

If it fails I'll buy one. Which it EVENTUALLY will -- like at 300-400k miles, maybe. MAYBE. My 03 Jetta which my KID learned to drive on, and now has as hers, has 270,000 miles on the OEM clutch and THAT is with bigger nozzles in it! It will eventually fail too, but the clutch is $200. Really -- $200. The bolts that have to be replaced (TTY, so one-time-use) are another $35 or so. Really. If the rear main is leaking when I take it out (probably, at that point) it's another $30 or so. Wowie, what a major expense. NOT! An ATX would be $5 large PLUS and economically destroy the car, and there's no way it would go 300,000+ miles with nothing other than fluid changes. Cut the crap.

If the carmakers want to make 100,000 mile vehicles that fall apart I remember that -- it was in the 1970s. I won't buy that garbage. You do what you want. I'll buy older cars and keep them on the road - they'll never sell me a new one again.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Time to accept you guys rowing gears are a dying breed.

OEM's are no longer able to appeal to everyone. They must go the direction of what keeps them healthy, profitable.

The future is not a manual trans.
I'm not going down without a fight however. Definitely glad I bought when I did. Honda Accord (Sport), Civic Si, Jetta GLI, Golf GTI (which VW says ~50% opt for manual) and the Mazda3 would be all on my current short list. More listed in the article below...you guys might get a kick out of the top picture lol.:wink2:

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/04/24/list-new-cars-with-manual-transmissions/

·
Registered
771 Posts
and there's no way it would go 300,000+ miles with nothing other than fluid changes. Cut the crap.
You mean like our recent poster who posted their ATX went 290K before she replaced it. You know the ATX that had NEVER been serviced...

Cutting the crap, there a more than just a few going 300K miles with or without being serviced. Welcome to the modern world. Def not the 70's anymore.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I bought my 6 knowing pragmatically that it would likely be the last new MTX vehicle I'd be able to buy. I love the car, and hope I can get 250,000+ miles out of it. By the time I'm ready to replace it, I'll be fine driving an automatic.

The Mazda automatics are already phenomenal today. They'll only get better with another 10 or 15 years of engineering improvements.

·
Registered
863 Posts
You mean like our recent poster who posted their ATX went 290K before she replaced it. You know the ATX that had NEVER been serviced...

Cutting the crap, there a more than just a few going 300K miles with or without being serviced. Welcome to the modern world. Def not the 70's anymore.
C'mon, idrive... Just let us "oil resource / ATF squanderers" have our way; we just agree to differ with you no-transmission-service-needed folks.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Yeah like the Youslob dude who does an ATX fluid/filter change (has to scrape off the silicone never-intended-to-be-removed "gasket" -- which is really RTV -- too) and after doing it has to completely re-learn the ATX's control system because of a MAJOR behavior change in the clutches? And he has the stones to say "oh the fluid is all ok after these miles."

Uh huh. If it was and so was the ATX then why did changing about HALF of it (the rest is in the torque converter and doesn't drain out!) result in a major change in gearbox behavior? Hmmm... so much for "it was all fine and would be ok for another 50,000 miles."

It might well have run another 50k -- but that would have been the LAST 50k, and then $5,000 for a new ATX - which is likely between 150-200k anyway. Never mind getting stranded on a trip somewhere.

The odds of the actual MTX being junk at that mileage? Zero, unless you drive it like Speed Racer and bend shift forks or trash the synchros. Clutches are, by comparison, cheap.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Love my 2014 manual Mazda 6 Sport.I guess I don't mind the wind noise, because my other car is a 2009 Miata(with a manual). Only thing I wish it had was a back up camera. I don't want all the other "safety features" they are now installing. IMO, too distracting. I would love to have a manual 6 wagon like I saw in Switzerland. You can still get the wagons and manuals 6s in Europe, but now we can't get either in a 6 here in the USA. When my 6 comes to the end of it's life, I guess I will have to look at a different brand. Sorry Mazda.

·
Registered
14 Posts
2007 Mazda 6 Sport Wagon Has Passed

If true, not surprising. I think they're in danger of pricing themselves right out of the game with the 6, though. When my wagon passes on, I'm looking very hard at the Genesis G70!
My 2007 Mazda 6 Sport Wagon HAS passed on. Almost 227K on it and ATX is acting up. Wanted MTX which was offered 2006 and earlier. Looking at Civic Type R because 2019 Mazda 3 won't take my clubs without folding down back seats and exposing them. Really have only tested with alignment sticks, which are longer than any of my clubs.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Manual transmissions are incompatible with the function of Mazda’s radar cruise control. These two features are mutually exclusive. The radar cruise control system requires the car to be able to slow down all the way to a stop and start moving again all on its own without the driver having to interact with the brake or accelerator pedals at all, let alone dealing with a clutch and rowing gears. With the radar cruise control and a manual transmission, the car could slow down on its own, but resuming speed without changing gears could be hard on the drivetrain and perform poorly if it slows down too much for the gear you’re in. And it wouldn’t be able to completely stop either or it would stall the engine.

As tech moves on, some sacrifices will be made. This time the MTX gets the axe. ATX could be next in favor of a CVT. Or they could skip the CVT and just replace the petrol engine and ATX gearbox with batteries and electric motors.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Manual transmissions are incompatible with the function of Mazda’s radar cruise control. These two features are mutually exclusive. The radar cruise control system requires the car to be able to slow down all the way to a stop and start moving again all on its own without the driver having to interact with the brake or accelerator pedals at all, let alone dealing with a clutch and rowing gears. With the radar cruise control and a manual transmission, the car could slow down on its own, but resuming speed without changing gears could be hard on the drivetrain and perform poorly if it slows down too much for the gear you’re in. And it wouldn’t be able to completely stop either or it would stall the engine.

As tech moves on, some sacrifices will be made. This time the MTX gets the axe. ATX could be next in favor of a CVT. Or they could skip the CVT and just replace the petrol engine and ATX gearbox with batteries and electric motors.
The Radar Cruise Control has been available with the MTX on the M3 for a few years.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That’s a slightly different, older Cruise Control system. I was talking specifically about the newer version of the system. The older version, when paired with a MTX, doesn’t and cannot include the Stop & Go function the updated system uses. I suppose it’s possible it’s just a software change along with some added ties into the transmission control logic between the two versions of MRCC and along with the presence of the ATX that allows for the newer enhancements in functionality. In practice, the two systems behave very differently. While Mazda could certainly continue to use the older system on cars with manuals, or even the non-MRCC “regular” cruise control system, I’m sure they prefer to just have one common system for everything. This, to me, is just evidence of a march toward self-driving electric cars as the inevitable future state of the industry, even for Mazda.

Note that the 2019 Mazda3 is also not available with MTX at all in any trim or drivetrain. I think this might leave the Miata as the only Mazda you can row your own.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts