Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
..which leaves the Accord the only mid-sized sedan in non-luxury segment with a manual option, such a shame. With the sedanocalypse, i am highly doubtful at this point if Mazda will even bother with a brand new 6 when the time comes to retire the current platform.

·
Registered
123 Posts
..which leaves the Accord the only mid-sized sedan in non-luxury segment with a manual option, such a shame. With the sedanocalypse, i am highly doubtful at this point if Mazda will even bother with a brand new 6 when the time comes to retire the current platform.
This is very sad news indeed - Also would add the new Jetta GLI, has mid-sized cabin room and manual option along with the Accord. I just came over to Mazda after years of wanting a mid-sized car with the handling, build quality and good looks with the Mazda6 WITH a manual and it's a shame if this is a one and done for me with Mazda. Can't even get the new Mazda3 sedan in manual in any trim. I'm just shaking my head here.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I bought my '17 GX (~ a Sport trim) Mazda6 here in Canada 2 years ago 'cuz I had a sense of foreboding re availability of manuals for '18. Right I was: no manual Mazda6's in any trim for Canada for '18 and beyond. My car had sat on the lot. Produced Oct '16... I bought it late Feb '17 with 11 km on the odometer. Only me having test driven it. How do I know? 'Cuz I had put on the 6 km (from 5 km to 11 km) some 2 mos. earlier, on a late Dec. test drive. I worked a great deal needless to say.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Crap.

Oh well..... it is what it is; I will drive mine until something too expensive to be worth fixing breaks.

·
Registered
578 Posts
"Purist" are becoming extinct and I have to admit that I am part of the statistics. I couldn't imagine myself driving with 3 pedals again considering the horrendous traffic jam that I face from time to time.

If perhaps if I wasn't able to try an automatic car, I wouldn't know the comfort it can offer to me.

Or perhaps I just couldn't admit that I am no longer young.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It's all about money.
They know they can charge more for the Automatic models plus they're more money to maintain & replacing them would cost $5K range (Dealer Cost).
Manual transmissions cost less in maintaining & even if you had to replace all the main components (Slave cylinder line, Clutch master cylinder, TOB, & complete clutch kit) it still be cheaper than the Automatic replacement.
I walked into my local Mazda dealer to grab some oil filters & they had a New 2017 Mazda 3 with the 2.5L (Manual) still on the show room floor discounted collecting dust.
They sadly just don't sell which sucks because automatics are so expensive in General. I can't imagine how much a 10-speed version from other automakers cost for replacement.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's all about money.
They know they can charge more for the Automatic models plus they're more money to maintain & replacing them would cost $5K range (Dealer Cost).
Manual transmissions cost less in maintaining & even if you had to replace all the main components (Slave cylinder line, Clutch master cylinder, TOB, & complete clutch kit) it still be cheaper than the Automatic replacement.
I walked into my local Mazda dealer to grab some oil filters & they had a New 2017 Mazda 3 with the 2.5L (Manual) still on the show room floor discounted collecting dust.
They sadly just don't sell which sucks because automatics are so expensive in General. I can't imagine how much a 10-speed version from other automakers cost for replacement.
Modern automatic powertrains are very reliable. The vast majority of the population doesn't want manuals, it really is that simple.

Honda sells 10 times as many Accords as Mazda does with the 6, so yeah.

Also, the death of the 6 manual is what I've argued about the reason why the new Supra doesn't have a manual. Lets be frank, the people complaining aren't spending the money. All the people I've known who drive manuals(except one) all drive 10+ year old beaters. They aren't buying new cars, let alone a midsize sedan or a $50,000 Supra. Luxury high-performance cars are low volume to begin with, so of course they can offer manuals.

Mazda 6 will get a full redesign at some point. It sells as much as CX-9 and way more than the CX-3. Obviously with the limited money Mazda has for R&D, they are going to prioritize their heavy hitters like CX-5, Mazda3 and any new crossovers like the CX-30.

·
Registered
439 Posts
If true, not surprising. I think they're in danger of pricing themselves right out of the game with the 6, though. When my wagon passes on, I'm looking very hard at the Genesis G70!

·
Registered
439 Posts
They aren't buying new cars, let alone a midsize sedan or a $50,000 Supra.
Not true--new muscle cars and roadsters still sell very well with a stick. Family sedans, not so much. I'm not sure it's a money thing--it has a lot to do with the options being so limited that you might have to go back 10+ years to find the right car with a stick.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Historically, manual transmissions had significant technical advantages over automatics: more gears, better fuel economy, lower cost, higher performance, better reliability, less maintenance.

Within the last 15-20 years, automatics have closed those gaps. Today, automatics are generally equal or superior in almost every way except cost and maybe reliability. Even then, modern automatics can frequently go 150k-200k on 1 or 2 transmission fluid changes.

Now the only major reason to get a manual is driver preference and cost. In other words, a very small niche of the market. I'm glad I got my manual 6 in 2017.

With more and more EVs coming each year and the amount of investment in EV development, I don't see the manual living much longer outside of fewer and fewer niche models.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not true--new muscle cars and roadsters still sell very well with a stick. Family sedans, not so much. I'm not sure it's a money thing--it has a lot to do with the options being so limited that you might have to go back 10+ years to find the right car with a stick.
Define "well". The Miata has universal acclaim and couldn't even move 9,000 units last year. And a decent portion of those probably weren't even manuals. The Toyota 86 sold half as much.

Regardless, my point still stands. I see a lot of complaining(and this goes for any car) when the talk of a manual option gets brought up, but no one was planning on buying said car anyway.

"I love my Honda CR-V! I can't believe sedans are dying!"

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With the sedanocalypse, i am highly doubtful at this point if Mazda will even bother with a brand new 6 when the time comes to retire the current platform.
That would be a sad, costly mistake for Mazda, for multiple reasons.

The biggest being that the sedan, for all intents and purposes, will NOT die. Experts are saying that the market is indeed contracting due to SUV sales, but should level off at approximately 25-30% of the entire market. There are people that flat out REFUSE to buy any SUV (I'm one of them), and if others (read: Ford) want to bail out on 30% of the market, those buyers will look elsewhere, so why not Mazda?
"Purist" are becoming extinct and I have to admit that I am part of the statistics. I couldn't imagine myself driving with 3 pedals again considering the horrendous traffic jam that I face from time to time.

If perhaps if I wasn't able to try an automatic car, I wouldn't know the comfort it can offer to me.

Or perhaps I just couldn't admit that I am no longer young.
I admit I'm one of "them" as well. But between having a bum left knee due to previous injury, and getting older in general...
It's all about money.
As stated by others, those cost and performance gaps are all but gone. I've owned or maintained over a half-dozen ATX cars in my lifetime, a few that went well over 100K miles, and I've NEVER had to replace any transmission. Yes, the fluid should be changed, but IMO it's no more extra maintenance than replacing a clutch.

As for fuel economy, ATXs are in general more efficient than their MTX counterparts, and I'd like to see ANY professional race driver shift nearly as fast with 3 pedals as some dual-clutch systems can today.

I think the decision is down to two things, the market, and Mazda's i-Activsense system. Whether we like it or not, these active safety systems will end up in just about everything we drive, sooner than later. Most of these systems that have the auto emergency braking and the stop-and-go cruise control simply won't work with MTX, because the computers cannot control the gearchanges. Since insurance companies offer lower rates due to these systems (I should know, my premiums dropped 15% from my last 6), and the fact that newer drivers aren't even required to learn stick to get a license...

3-pedal driving is fun, and part of me misses it greatly, but I can also admit that it's days are numbered (as well as us having ANY control of your vehicle at all, sadly...)

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have to agree with your post. I have a 6MT but some of the time I wish it was an A/T. I figured this 6MT Mazda6 would be my last kick at the can for a manual. If I had a Mazda6 A/T (actually, if I had any A/T car that was close to new or that I really wanted to get some miles out of) I would i) install a very tight filter media bypass filter (like a ZTF AF09??) between the line out to the rad tank cooler and the line back from the rad tank cooler, ii) plumb in an ATF cooler AFTER the rad tank cooler, and iii) add a bung onto the trans pan (for a high quality temperature switch) and coordinate the cooling fan with said temp switch (to come on after say 185F). I would also make provision to bypass the aux. ATF cooler easily (with valves) for the cold months. This plus 50,000 mile fluid drops + (both) ATF filter changes should minimize wear of the valve body, the steels, and the rolling element bearings inside the trans. Best chance of getting 200,000 mikes out of it without needing a full-disassembly rebuild (which would likely economically-"total" the car).

Oh, all of this stuff cannot account for the bands and the clutchpack friction elements from wearing out... or the lockup clutch friction elements either... For the care and preservation of those elements... go easy on the throttle? I don't know... A/T's in some sense are more fragile and shorter-lived than manual transmissions (provided the latter are driven properly).

·
Registered
65 Posts
And mazda has now confirmed the story : https://jalopnik.com/the-manual-mazda-6-is-officially-gone-for-the-2019-mode-1833634985

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The article also practically confirms what I said in the CX-30 thread about the Mazda 3's base price increase:

....the spokesperson told Jalopnik via email. “As we have moved the Mazda6 upscale with the launch of the Grand Touring Reserve and Signature models, we have seen less demand for a manual transmission option."
Yep, higher trim Mazdas are selling, which is why Mazda is caring less and less about having a low base price. Combine that with waning demand for manuals, and here we are.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
No More Manual Option For The 6

Some people (myself included) were disappointed when Mazda decided that only the Sport trim would receive a manual transmission option for 2018. Now, Mazda has gone a step further and removed the manual option altogether. Starting in 2019, those wishing to row their own gears will only have the Mazda 3 Grand Touring or the Miata MX5 as their choices.

Read more about it here

·
Registered
520 Posts
If true, not surprising. I think they're in danger of pricing themselves right out of the game with the 6, though. When my wagon passes on, I'm looking very hard at the Genesis G70!
Same here. When the time comes to replace by Mazda6, G70 and Stinger GT2 will be high up on my list as potential replacements.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Same here. When the time comes to replace by Mazda6, G70 and Stinger GT2 will be high up on my list as potential replacements.
Stinger only comes in auto, right? G70 would be an easy choice for me since I'm going to be driving a manual until I'm not physically able or they're all gone 🙂

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
About this Discussion
40 Replies
22 Participants
pinoyxr
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing