Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any nuance as to when the doors lock with the walk away lock feature enabled? I have my 2018 configured to lock the doors when I exit the vehicle, close the door and walk away. It seems to only work half the time. I haven't yet figured out when it doesn't work. For those of you that have enabled this feature, does it always work? What about when you have passengers? I think this feature is available in earlier models too.

MODS PLEASE DELETE. I found another thread where the same question was asked and I will add to that one. Sorry for the dup.

·
Banned
703 Posts
Is there any nuance as to when the doors lock with the walk away lock feature enabled? I have my 2018 configured to lock the doors when I exit the vehicle, close the door and walk away. It seems to only work half the time. I haven't yet figured out when it doesn't work. For those of you that have enabled this feature, does it always work? What about when you have passengers? I think this feature is available in earlier models too.
Seems to sometimes not work. Can't figure out why. It works most of the time though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Maybe you are too far away from the vehicle when you close the door. I notice this with mine sometimes where I am not close enough when the door is shut and I do not hear the beep before the doors actually lock.

·
Super Moderator
18,305 Posts
It's working perfectly as designed. Here's a few things to know:

• It won't work if you close the final (this is important) door and are too far away from the car. Proximity is ish-of 3 feet from the B-pillar on either side of the car.
  • It won't work if the trunk is open, but WILL if the hood is open.
  • Closing the hood while car is locked will result in the car flashing hazards once to acknowledge the car is still locked.
  • A dying fob battery will decrease the distance you can be away when the final door shuts and the car locks itself.
  • There's no way to alter the distance before it auto-locks itself.
  • If you close the final door and hold your keys over the hood/trunk as you walk around, it will keep the car unlocked (I do this sometimes when letting my wife in/out of the car and don't want it to lock on me).

MODS PLEASE DELETE. I found another thread where the same question was asked and I will add to that one. Sorry for the dup.
Eh, I'll leave it here - you're fine :) - Will merge them at some point.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's working perfectly as designed. Here's a few things to know:

• It won't work if you close the final (this is important) door and are too far away from the car. Proximity is ish-of 3 feet from the B-pillar on either side of the car.
  • It won't work if the trunk is open, but WILL if the hood is open.
  • Closing the hood while car is locked will result in the car flashing hazards once to acknowledge the car is still locked.
  • A dying fob battery will decrease the distance you can be away when the final door shuts and the car locks itself.
  • There's no way to alter the distance before it auto-locks itself.
  • If you close the final door and hold your keys over the hood/trunk as you walk around, it will keep the car unlocked (I do this sometimes when letting my wife in/out of the car and don't want it to lock on me).
Extremely helpful. Thank you!

[*] If you close the final door and hold your keys over the hood/trunk as you walk around, it will keep the car unlocked (I do this sometimes when letting my wife in/out of the car and don't want it to lock on me).
[/list]
PS - You're quite the gentleman!

·
Registered
17 Mazda6 Touring manual
197 Posts
The walkaway lock is super cool and convenient, but also very irritating at times.

When by myself - I love it!

I do not want it to auto-lock in my garage. This results in some gymnastics or weird door closing sequences in the garage when exiting the car.

When I'm loading or unloading my 2 girls in the back seat, the car re-locks itself as I walk around to the other side. Frustrating!

When we're out as a family, I have to stay close to the car until everyone is out. Can be frustrating at times.

If the trunk is open - oh my god, I will never understand how the trunk was designed to work with walkaway lock. In some cases, it is treated like a door. In other cases, it acts independent.

When pressing the trunk release from inside the car: when you close all passenger doors, walkaway lock will not beep. In this situation, the trunk is considered to be a "door", however walkaway lock will not activate when the trunk is closed.

BUT

If I purposely leave the car unlocked in the garage, the trunk still requires either the fob or a button press to open! In this situation, all passenger doors are unlocked but the trunk remains locked. It is NOT considered to be a "door".

1st world problems, I guess

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.