Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
@joe.skelly rumor has it you have a wagon! Gather up a picture or two of your machine and post em' here. Feel free to come back again and post updates as you make mods (did you find your blacked out tail lights yet?).

Yes, a 2004 Wagon. This is what it looked like when I bought it.

But, being winter in Wisconsin, I've been doing upkeep and stuff, but have to wait for it to warm up a bit more before I can finish the rust removal from the wheel wells and tail gate (got the passenger rear mostly done, but still need to a finishing sanding and final prime).

Ordered these today, and plan on doing the tail light mod sometime soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey @Dadwagon welcome to the forum. I saw a pic of your mean looking wagon with snow livery. I noticed you have the front splitters below your fascia, nice little uncommon extra.

Come on over here and post your pic.
Thanks for the mention, glad you did haha. Hard to find the wagon fans but I think they are the best of any body type! Some nice looking wagons up top!

Hope to start putting some mods into my car here once it warms up. And hopefully rid of the rust on the rear wells.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
BTW, If anyone wants a CorkSport Bumper Lip (shown in my pics above) I'll be selling it once I return from deployment in mid-April. The lip is re-finished, fitted, and primed & ready for paint to match! I bought one of the last ones before they ran out of them in 2012. Message me if anyone is interested!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hey, guys. I've got a wagon too! I've been a long time member but have been MIA on the forums for two years or so...life's just been super crazy.

Anyways, her are the most recent pics (although they are from October!) of my car when before I swapped from "summer" mode.

She's basically stock, but with a few minor performance mods:

Mazdaspeed lowering springs
Mazdaspeed 6 front brake swap
TWM short throw shifter
Gutted stock air box

Would love to do exhaust and intake at some point but have many obligations being a father of four little ones!

Anyways, let me know if you want to see any more!

Love looking at this thread as it makes me not have that "I want a new car" itch!

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Hey, guys. I've got a wagon too! I've been a long time member but have been MIA on the forums for two years or so...life's just been super crazy.

Anyways, her are the most recent pics (although they are from October!) of my car when before I swapped from "summer" mode.

She's basically stock, but with a few minor performance mods:

Mazdaspeed lowering springs
Mazdaspeed 6 front brake swap
TWM short throw shifter
Gutted stock air box

Would love to do exhaust and intake at some point but have many obligations being a father of four little ones!

Anyways, let me know if you want to see any more!

Love looking at this thread as it makes me not have that "I want a new car" itch!

Andrew
I like those wheels too. They look great on your wagon. Show us more! We love seeing wagon photos and lots of them. Thanks for stopping in to post up.

·
Rally Racer
1,744 Posts
@APudysz Excellent. I saw your thread and pics when you did your mazdaspeed springs. Super nice.
Two questions for you.
How are you liking your springs? I am thinking about pulling my mismatched Racing Beat ones for the MS ones. The RB do not control the rear well (sedan springs...)
What are the specifics on those wheels and tires?

Thanks

·
Registered
316 Posts
@APudysz Excellent. I saw your thread and pics when you did your mazdaspeed springs. Super nice.
Two questions for you.
How are you liking your springs? I am thinking about pulling my mismatched Racing Beat ones for the MS ones. The RB do not control the rear well (sedan springs...)
What are the specifics on those wheels and tires?

Thanks

Love the MS springs. Never any issues beside backing out of my steep driveway and when there is a stupid tall speed bump. Usability is still there as well. I've had the back packed very full when hauling and moving and no issues with rubbing. I did roll my rear fender wells just to be safe though.

Definitely loose the squat with the sedan springs. Can't say enough about the MS ones. Great stance and great usability and not too expensive either.

Wheels are Enkei M52s 17x7.5, tires are stock size in these pics but I need to get new tires this year. I think I will go 225/50 rather than 215/50. I like to have the "meatier" tire look. Plus there are better options available for less money.

·
Rally Racer
1,744 Posts
That ride height really suits the wagon without the sport package VERY well. And those wheels! That shot on the forested road is a good one.
I totally agree. I have come across a few sport kits in the boneyard but generally passed because I don't see how I can run OEM splash guards with it. They also look heavy to me when they are lower as well with the side sills. Without the lowering, the sport looks fantastic however. If I had my way I would have the sport kit with +30% springs that are OEM height and maybe an aftermarket splash guard.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I totally agree. I have come across a few sport kits in the boneyard but generally passed because I don't see how I can run OEM splash guards with it. They also look heavy to me when they are lower as well with the side sills. Without the lowering, the sport looks fantastic however. If I had my way I would have the sport kit with +30% springs that are OEM height and maybe an aftermarket splash guard.
I came to the same conclusion about my own car. I thought I was going to do a slight lower job after I got my RX-8 wheels. However, once they were on, the wheel gap and ground clearance all seemed to be proportional. I didn't see how lowering it would make it look any better. PLUS... the other day I pulled into a spot where there was a sidewalk. I thought I had stopped short of the curb step, but when I got out, the front valance had traveled a good 10" over the sidewalk with NO scraping. When I saw it, I said in a stage whisper, "No THAT's why I'm so very happy I didn't lower the car."

I still think I need to roll the rear fenders a bit though. I get an interference that peels a half millimeter of side wall off every now and again. It only does it on the left side which makes me wonder if there is a suspension bushing that is out of spec on that side which is allowing the wheel to travel outside of the regular spec. I was trying to avoid the roll, but I'm beginning to think I'll have to do it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
She's a beauty. Thanks for sharing.

Make sure those plugs and coils are good and if it's an automatic, might be a good idea to replace the trans fluid.

Happy Motoring
I'm having all 6 plugs and coils changed next week. Denso coils and iridium plugs, not cheap. Since from what I heard the intake manifold needs to be removed to change the rear bank coil and plugs, any tips on what else I can have replace or service? I am changing the plenum gaskets, anything else?

·
Rally Racer
1,744 Posts
I'm having all 6 plugs and coils changed next week. Denso coils and iridium plugs, not cheap. Since from what I heard the intake manifold needs to be removed to change the rear bank coil and plugs, any tips on what else I can have replace or service? I am changing the plenum gaskets, anything else?
Great plan! I know it's expensive but the alternative is far costlier. I would put in a new PCV while there and make sure there are no cracks on your intake accordion tube. Make sure your ATX fluid is clean and stay on any codes that pop up. That's pretty much what you can do. Have fun!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Be sure to change the pcv hose as well. The hoses that came on the 06 and up has ridges, is more rigid and far less prone to collapse than the hoses that originally came on the 05.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Be sure to change the pcv hose as well. The hoses that came on the 06 and up has ridges, is more rigid and far less prone to collapse than the hoses that originally came on the 05.
This is important as well. I did this when I did my coils and plugs. The only place i could find the hose was the dealer but it wasnt too expensive.

My only other suggestion would be valve cover gaskets. You have to take all the other stuff off to get there and it's likely that they are leaking. Mine were and it helped with the smoking engine bay at shut down and the stink at stoplights (from oil dripping on the exhaust manifolds)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Coils ands spark plugs installed. Hope going with Denso coils pays off in the long run, for about the same price of one Denso coil I could have gotten a set of six Aurelio ones. Plugs are also Denso, Iridium Power. So far so good, the idle seems super smooth along with the acceleration. It seems to have resolved the issue I was having with the car jerking while idling. It was intermittent but very noticeable when it happens especially when crawling either forward or backwards. The PCV was changed as well, the hose appears to to be the upgraded 2006 one with ridges, so I'm good there. My lower rear engine mount is apparently toast, the part was not in stock locally so I'll have to wait till next week to have the new mounts installed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Some help please. So I got all that work done yesterday replaced the coils, plugs and PCV valve. Now today I have smoke coming out of my engine bay, mainly on the passenger side. My temp gauge is good sitting right at the middle. The smoke appears exhaust smoke, any idea what it could be?

41 - 60 of 300 Posts
About this Discussion
299 Replies
45 Participants
DrFeelGood
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing