Mazda 6 Forums banner
321 - 329 of 329 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi! New guy here! I've always had a soft spot for Mazdas growing up in my parent's 90 and 91 Proteges. The 6 Wagon is one of my favorites and after months of Craigslist hunting, I finally caught one!

Saw the ad Wednesday night, bought it Friday morning 😊 already having a blast! Does need some work, but I'm excited to get wrenching!

I do need some guidance with replacing the OCV seals. I found the part, but the link to the 6crew guide to replacing the seals is a dead. Anyone have any instructions? Is it just a matter of getting the valve cover off and replacing the seal from the inside?

·
Registered
127 Posts
It's been a LONG time coming, but having finally installed my Eibach lowering springs, added side skirts and swapped on some OEM 18" wheels, I figured it was high time I posted some updated images of my little '04 monster. A couple of the other exterior upgrades/changes I've made since I bought it in September 2018 include a '07 facelift front bumper cover with a Speed6 grille bar, full Magnaflow catback exhaust (with resonator delete), OEM HID headlights & Speed6 folding heated mirrors.

I'm also including an image I shot very shortly after I bought it in its unmolested, full factory glory.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As many of you know, I have a thing for the wagons! I know there's a number of you out there but I don't see many photos of them on here so I thought I'd start a wagon photo thread. All gen's are welcome. Post updates and random shots as you update your ride.

SHOW ME YOUR WAGON!
On 11/19/2020 I bought an ‘04 Mazda 6s Sport Wagon in Squall Blue with beige cloth seats. Beautiful color. On Wednesday, 11/25/20, I picked up the vehicle and got 163 miles down the road when it quickly overheated. Though I had a 90 day/4,500 mile drivetrain warranty, it did not cover the culprit: a worn idler pulley (a $20 part) that then tore up the serpentine belt, rendering the water pump inoperable. The engine is not rebuildable and the car lot, well known in their area of Central, PA, refuses to accept any responsibility. Now they want me to pay for a used motor from LKQ. They will pay for the labor. The want me to pay for the engine 1st. I have insisted that they pay for the motor and install it 1st. Is this any different than ordering a set of tires and paying for them after they’ve been balanced and mounted, or having any repair done at a certified shop and then paying once the work is complete? Also, LKQ has certain requirements before they honor the warranty and I’m getting pushback on that. I have no leverage here and it’s been very frustrating. Nevertheless, I still want the Wagon and it’s of no use to me without an engine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
On 11/19/2020 I bought an ‘04 Mazda 6s Sport Wagon in Squall Blue with beige cloth seats. Beautiful color. On Wednesday, 11/25/20, I picked up the vehicle and got 163 miles down the road when it quickly overheated. Though I had a 90 day/4,500 mile drivetrain warranty, it did not cover the culprit: a worn idler pulley (a $20 part) that then tore up the serpentine belt, rendering the water pump inoperable. The engine is not rebuildable and the car lot, well known in their area of Central, PA, refuses to accept any responsibility. Now they want me to pay for a used motor from LKQ. They will pay for the labor. The want me to pay for the engine 1st. I have insisted that they pay for the motor and install it 1st. Is this any different than ordering a set of tires and paying for them after they’ve been balanced and mounted, or having any repair done at a certified shop and then paying once the work is complete? Also, LKQ has certain requirements before they honor the warranty and I’m getting pushback on that. I have no leverage here and it’s been very frustrating. Nevertheless, I still want the Wagon and it’s of no use to me without an engine.
Please may I ask how many miles were on the clock? You're dealing with a mess and I'm sorry, but your experience may help a future reader of this thread.

I know the horse is already out of the barn, but when I gave my '14 Mazda6 to my 18yr old son (140,000 miles on the odo) I actually had the 2 belts and pulleys replaced as preventative. $220 cheap insurance.

As for getting paid first....I get it... I'm an attorney... Divorces, bankruptcies, criminal cases I get paid up front. Estates and real estate closings I get paid at the end. Why? Risk. The first 3 are credit risks and I don't even need to run a credit check.

If they do the work and you don't pay, then what? They keep your 2004 car? How much is it really worth to them? They can't very well pay their employees with pieces of your car. Court and lawyers aren't cheap either when courts are even open and COVID has messed up that, too. Do you think I would represent a small independent shop against a non-payor without getting money up front? Times are tough.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
2007 Mazda 6 with currently 129000 miles sitting on kw coilovers, 17" Kosei wheels, B&M 70264 SuperCooler transmission cooler
Morimoto HID head and foglights, very bright VLEDS V6 Triton Extreme red 7443 7440 LED tailights, and some warm white led interior lighting. The only other thing I want to do is replace the crappy rear springs that came with the coilovers with a set of King lowering springs in order to raise the rear a little. Purchased back in 2013.
DSC_0607.JPG
DSC_0604.JPG

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,591 Posts
@Impossiby_Black looking good. Those coilovers were probably sedan units and cant quite handle the extra mass in the ass. o_O
I put a set of King Springs (KMRL-27) on the rear. If you wanted the front also it would be KMRL-25.
I would buy it now as the catalogue shows it has been discontinued as of Dec 2021. You will only have new old stock left.

·
Registered
19 Posts
@Impossiby_Black looking good. Those coilovers were probably sedan units and cant quite handle the extra mass in the ass. o_O
I put a set of King Springs (KMRL-27) on the rear. If you wanted the front also it would be KMRL-25.
I would buy it now as the catalogue shows it has been discontinued as of Dec 2021. You will only have new old stock left.
I already have the rear springs I just need to find the time to install them. I did ask the King Springs about the KMRL-25 and was told that the springs were not really designed with the US/Canadian market's heavier V6 engine in mind. Australian 6's only came with the 4 cylinder. They were unsure how much the ride height would deviate from the advertised 30mm drop so I decided to hold off on purchasing them. I do have some room to raise coil-overs in the front to compensate for the KMRL-27's though. Hopefully that will be enough to get the look I desire.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,591 Posts
I already have the rear springs I just need to find the time to install them. I did ask the King Springs about the KMRL-25 and was told that the springs were not really designed with the US/Canadian market's heavier V6 engine in mind. Australian 6's only came with the 4 cylinder. They were unsure how much the ride height would deviate from the advertised 30mm drop so I decided to hold off on purchasing them. I do have some room to raise coil-overs in the front to compensate for the KMRL-27's though. Hopefully that will be enough to get the look I desire.
I spoke with Racing Beat about their springs and they gave me some numbers on rates. The differences are small but they are there for RB.
Post here

321 - 329 of 329 Posts