Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 302 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, I have a thing for the wagons! I know there's a number of you out there but I don't see many photos of them on here so I thought I'd start a wagon photo thread. All gen's are welcome. Post updates and random shots as you update your ride.

SHOW ME YOUR WAGON!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll start with a photo of my own to kick things off. This was taken just this morning after I gave it a bath last night. First time using the two bucket method. I just did a MAJOR paint correction in late summer and haven't washed it since then. I've been concerned about adding scratches back into it. If you haven't used the two bucket method, check it out. I was pleased with how clean the wash bucket water stayed and how dirty the rinse bucket was when complete!

If you know someone else on here with a wagon, tag them up and get them over here to post in the thread. I'll start with my fellow wagonier in crime, @DrFeelGood .

·
Rally Racer
1,907 Posts
I'll start with a photo of my own to kick things off. ...
If you know someone else on here with a wagon, tag them up and get them over here to post in the thread. I'll start with my fellow wagonier in crime, @DrFeelGood .
Thanks for the invite. What a great idea, I can't believe it hasn't been done before. That wagon looks fantastic! I'll add a few of my own.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@DrFeelGood I love that shot from 3/4 rear towards the old divided light windows. Looks like an old factory and a great set for wagon shots!

I'll tag two other users on here that I know have wagons...

A newbie with a nice dark blue gen1 wagon from AUS... @Vukie

And a long time Mazda man with lots of mods under his belt... @98se5speed

·
Registered
91 Posts
I bought this 2004 brand new for my wife in 2004. Loaded with everything but the sport package. Black leather interior. I put chrome American Racing wheels on it (they were in fashion in 2004...) with Khumo summer only tires, Racing Beat polished stainless cat back, full red LED interior lights, and 25% tint on the sides and 35% tint on the rear. Put Blizzaks on the factory wheels. Great car for 87,000 miles with no problems until the salt started rotting the rear fender lips. Sold it for $4000 for it in 2015, and got $200 for those cool in ‘04 chrome wheels. Replaced it with 2015 touring that got totaled 3 months later, replaced that car with a 2015 GT.

It was a great car, I’m hope someone is still having fun with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
Oh, I guess these wagons are decent. I've got a couple few pictures I suppose.

My personal mission is to get everyone to paint their wagon tail lights all red (minus the reverse light) but if I don't succeed, your loss ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
Actually, I currently own 2 of these wagons, I bought a beige on beige automatic version for $500 earlier this year. Got it cheap because the last owner drove through high water with a cold air intake. Whoops. Otherwise in rather good shape, the guy took good care of it.

Got a used Fusion V6 for $300, been in the process of putting it back together for a while now. Main issue is just making time for it between work, family and house projects. Hopefully wrap it up in the next month or so. Intend to use it as a winter car for a few months then sell it to make a few bucks. It had msds headers and magnaflow catback installed, those went on my blue car.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very cool @98se5speed ! Last we talked you were planning to part out the tan one. Good on ya for taking the time to do a fusion swap to save another wagon. Did you have as much trouble sourcing a good non-spanked engine this time? I remember when you did the blue one you had a rough time.

I'm also going to quote your picture right here... it is for THIS very reason that I love wagons. They drive like a sedan when you don't need the space, but convert into a small "box truck" when you want to haul something. FANTASTIC!!

@blaine63impala that's a very tidy wagon you have (had). Glad to hear it served you well, and thanks for putting up the photos!

Who else on here has wagons? I know we have one in the 6OTM right now. Tag someone else you know that has a wagon. I'd also like to see some 2nd Gen (UBER rare) and 3rd Gen wagons from other shores. I know we had someone just join that was/had taken delivery of a brand new 3rd Gen. Let's see em'.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Very cool @98se5speed ! Last we talked you were planning to part out the tan one. Good on ya for taking the time to do a fusion swap to save another wagon. Did you have as much trouble sourcing a good non-spanked engine this time? I remember when you did the blue one you had a rough time.

I'm also going to quote your picture right here... it is for THIS very reason that I love wagons. They drive like a sedan when you don't need the space, but convert into a small "box truck" when you want to haul something. FANTASTIC!!
Yeah, like a fool I felt bad sending such a clean wagon to the junkyard even if it is a lame beige/beige/automatic/base model. For $300 and my labor time, it can turn into a usable car and make me a few bucks. That is, if I ever get around to putting it back together. Been a slooooow process. As for buying the used engine, I certainly learned enough with the 2 engines I got for my car to know what's good and bad. All comes down to making sure the head gaskets are undamaged on the corners of the heads where they are visible. This one looked perfect.

Amusingly the engine in my blue wagon came home in a rental Kia Soul, then that engine propelled my car to pick up an engine for the tan wagon.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ah... so the engine in the blue wagon is the new fusion engine for the tan wagon? Got it! Us wagon folk are glad for your efforts. Plus, it is always so sad for me to wander the wrecking yards looking at otherwise fine looking cars dying a slow death in the weather with their doors hanging open and the interior components that looked to be unmolested, rotting away. I've seen plenty of really clean cars sitting there awaiting lot rot. It's very sad to me.

·
Registered
513 Posts
ah... so the engine in the blue wagon is the new fusion engine for the tan wagon? Got it! Us wagon folk are glad for your efforts. Plus, it is always so sad for me to wander the wrecking yards looking at otherwise fine looking cars dying a slow death in the weather with their doors hanging open and the interior components that looked to be unmolested, rotting away. I've seen plenty of really clean cars sitting there awaiting lot rot. It's very sad to me.
Yes, the engine shown in the back of the blue wagon is the one I picked up for the tan wagon. The guys at the junkyard thought I was nuts, but it fit like a glove and they were quite impressed. While I love to use this as a showcase for why wagons are awesome, I only picked it up in my car because my wife and the Mazda MPV were out of town for the week. I would have much rather put all that weight in the back of that vehicle, especially with the rear airbag suspension I added. Although I will say, I wouldn't mind putting some of those airbags on my wagon too. Very nice setup for ~$100. Put it on the van for towing our camper, found ourselves sitting a bit too low on a few trips. Dead-level now and I actually like how it firmed up the ride in back too.

Getting the engine out of the wagon at home with my hoist was a bit trickier. They had a length of seatbelt tied onto the engine at the yard and loaded it into my car using a forklift. But the beam on a hoist is much thicker than a fork, plus the hook is under the beam. So I rigged up a piece of square tube I had laying around to have a notch in the top of it so the hoist beam could go under that seatbelt. Just baaarely snuck it out of the wagon without any damage to the car.

Decent cars in the yard sadden me too, but I just chalk it up to the "circle of life" and that I can't save em all. Plus here in the midwest most cars in the yard are sorta rotted out with rust anyways. I have had some regrets at the yard though, one of which was a beige 6wagon with the sport package. At the time I saw that car, I was planning to scrap my tan wagon so I didn't get a thing off it. But now that I'm fixing/driving/selling, I'm really sad to have not AT LEAST gotten the hatch spoiler for it. The color was even right! Not to mention that I've seen multiple people on FB groups (Mazda6 Nation mostly) looking to buy a spoiler for their wagon, I would have gladly helped someone out. But of course the next time I went to the yard, that beige wagon had gone to the crusher. :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
Another wagon owner here! Our Mazda is the family hauler now and the wife drives it, but it does its job well and is a blast to drive!

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Although I no longer own this wagon, I spent a great, trouble-free 13 years with it. What else can you fit a 10-foot long PVC pipe inside of and have that much fun driving it? 167K miles of fun and practicality. It was a real workhorse for me and still looked and ran like new. Sorry to see it go. :frown2:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks you two for posting your photos of your wagons. In an effort to try and get some new wagons on here too, I name @BradPD to come post some photos of his 3rd gen wagon from Austraila.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I recently parked next to another 6wagon. Of course I stuck a Rockauto magnet to his door (I keep a few in the car to give out to worthy 6's I encounter) and went about my shopping.

As I came out, a guy was standing in front of our 2 cars and holding the magnet. I figured with the Georgia license plate, he must be in town visiting for the holidays since it was Dec-22. Talked to the guy a bit and it turns out he had just moved to Michigan for a new job and lived just a couple miles from me. Nice guy, gave him my business card and told him to get in touch some time since I'm also (relatively) new to town.

Didn't hear from him after that, but with the holidays I didn't have any time for socializing anyways. Then just a week ago on the far opposite end of town, I happened to see a familiar car at my favorite store...

I jammed another business card in his door with the note "Nice car! Ha!" Still haven't heard from him. Good thing I pretty much only have time for you internet friends anyways ;)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool! There are two other local wagons here in my little hampton and they are three blocks apart!?! I've even seen one at Costco that I stopped to check out. It's fun to see them. BTW only a couple of the photos are showing up.

·
Rally Racer
1,907 Posts
Cool! There are two other local wagons here in my little hampton and they are three blocks apart!?! I've even seen one at Costco that I stopped to check out. It's fun to see them. BTW only a couple of the photos are showing up.
I recently got in trouble (not really) with the missus when I ran into three (!!!) wagons doing errands and all wanted to talk. One had stayed around to thank me, about advise I had given regarding maintenance, telling me I saved them thousands with a quick diagnosis I made when hearing them pull up the first time. That was kinda nice. 0:)

1 - 20 of 302 Posts