Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shying away from the VW Passat due to hearing reports of spotty reliability. Anyone out there have any real-world experiences with this car?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Reading Topic: VW Passat

These are the reasons I shied away from it.

- Control arms (Passat/Audi A4);
- Coil packs on 1.8T;
- Various rattles in the interior;
- Various electrical gremlins.
- Pricey.

Other than that solid as tank.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Yeah...that, and it ain't a 6... :D

Seriously, it's a worthy alternative if you can't wait for the 6 hatch.

·
Registered
319 Posts

I have heard of electrical problems, as well as problems with hardware integrity (parts breaking/falling off, such as a seat rachet lever).

Best bet is to check Consumer Reports.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Replying to Topic 'VW Passat'

Originally posted by applejax

I have been shying away from the VW Passat due to hearing reports of spotty reliability.  Anyone out there have any real-world experiences with this car?[/b]
Well, my father has a Passat at his work, he use it sometimes every month. It`s a real "sh** car, I don`t like Passat. I don`t think VW deserve to sell as much as they do! Mazda is a much better car, and I hope as soon Mazda will start to sell cars like Mazda 3, RX-8, 2 +++ they will sell more than them...... But I guess that will never happen, because "everybody" is so crazy about VW :(

·
Registered
980 Posts

I dont have any real world experiences but I have heard many times that VW tends to have electrical problems. Also if it does break down they are quite expensive to fix. My uncle had a Passat and he spent thousands of dollars just to keep it running and in the end it died anyways.

·
Registered
350 Posts

I have had a Passat 1.8T 2000 as company car in 2.5 years and 60000km.
During this time I have had two problems.
1. Didn't start every time when it was over 25C and also the cruise control stopped working properly. They changed the main computer and that fixed the problem. The car were three months old and guarantee took the cost.
2. Glowe compartment lid, the sorrounding of the lock cracked, they changed it 4 times, it cracked every time it was colder than -10C.
All covered under warranty, even after the guarantee was out.

Othervise the car was great but a bit boring.

·
Registered
446 Posts

My neighbor had a Passat and didn't have any problems.
My brother had a Jetta and couldn't keep it out of the shop for minor things including interior rattles.
Just my 2 cents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts