Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to get some information on the differences between the focus non-vvt cams and the mazda 3/6 vvt cams.

What is it about the non-VVT cams that cause a CEL when put into a VVT head. Any input would be apprieciated.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
it causes a CEL cause the ecu expects the profile to change, but it doesn't, so it things something wrong. just like anything else you take away from the stock ecu.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But why doesn't the profile change?

What i mean is, if the cams are being moved by a VVT actuator driven by oil pressure then if the cam have the same endings, then it should move back and forward just like a normal cam. The ecu should not even know the cams are different. Are the ends different between a non-VVT and VVT cam? Is just a matter of hardware, or is it something else.

I guess the better question is what would you take away from a VVT cam to make it a non-VVT cam. Is it a tooth, or a gear or bolt, thats what I'm trying to find out.

Thanks for the reply MrTea, man your a big help on this board, I appreciate the input.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
i see what you mean.

i haven't seen diagrams of the focus cams, but i would assume there are 2 "problems" that lead to the issue you are asking about. the thrust on the intake cam of the MZR is desined to fit in the larger VVT actuator gear, which the focus cam might not fit. Second is the other end where the MZR cam is fitted with a piece so the CKP sensor knows what phase it's at.

it's not as simple as sliding another cam in between those pieces, which i think you were assuming.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You hit the nail on head, thats exactly what I was talking about

So its a hardware problem...perfect

Okay well that makes sense, so if I can modify the hardware, then software should follow suit, I guess i'll just have to open it up and see.

Thanks MrTea

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
....don't know if you want to just "modify" something that spins that fast in the head? but that's me, and i don't know how the pieces are attached to the cam?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If i'd modify it, it would have to be strong, and I don't thing I would even try to modify it unless it was like a simple dremel grind or something (which i am sure its not) so I'd most likely have to take it to a machine shop or something to get the proper alteration done. I'll just have to wait and see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts