Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering what vtec and vvt mean and whats the difference between them. i just got into the car/racing scene since i got my car and well i dont know that much.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
VVT just means variable valve timing, VTEC means something like Variable valve Timing and Electronic Control or something like that I don't remember exacly. They just change the timing of the valves. Mazda's VVT changes the phase between the camshaft and crankshaft rotation, and VTEC switches between two different cam profiles.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Cant really compare Honda's and Acura's VTEC to Mazda's VVT. VTEC has another cam lobe and VVT doesnt. VTEC has "lift": the engagement of another higher profile cam lobe at a certain RPM. DOHC VTEC has it on the it on both exhaust and intake cams, SOHC only benefits the intake half. Then there VTEC-E, i-VTEC, and a 3 stage VTEC. The surge of power ( MORE noticiable in the DOHC versions) is the "lift" engagement i.e Civic SI, Integra GSR and Type R, RSX Type S, Prelude base model and SH, etc. Toyota's VVT-i is comparable to Mazda's VVT.

The only other cars (that I remeber) that can compare to the VTEC in Honda's SI's and other VTEC with "lift" line up, is Toyota's VVTL-i in the Celica GTS and Lotus Elise. VVTL-i = Variable Valve Timing & Lift - intelegent. The GTS uses another cam lobe that engages at 6000 RPM ('00) and 6300 RPM ('01+). VVTL-i is a bit more advanced than Honda's VTEC.

I had a 2000 GTS and miss it. There's nothing like hitting lift. It feels like nitrous just kicked in.

It's beem explained before but just wanted to help out. Variable timing is a lot different that variable valve timing with "lift".

That was a good year for the SI, My lil brother had it in SI blue back in high school, fun car![/b]

I remeber that color. It was very popular. Electric Blue Mica. Theres no other color like it. The Integra GSR and Prelude SH had a similar color but not quite the same.

·
Registered
402 Posts
It's beem explained before but just wanted to help out. Variable timing is a lot different that variable valve timing with "lift".
I remeber that color. It was very popular. Electric Blue Mica. Theres no other color like it. The Integra GSR and Prelude SH had a similar color but not quite the same.[/b]
the color was actually Electric Blue Pearl. lol mica no honda has ever had a color code with the name mica in it. None that I can remember at least and ive owned over 4 hondas/acuras. Got all the Mazda in your blood lol.

·
Registered
703 Posts
the color was actually Electric Blue Pearl. lol mica no honda has ever had a color code with the name mica in it. None that I can remember at least and ive owned over 4 hondas/acuras. Got all the Mazda in your blood lol.[/b]

oh yeah. I was getting confused with Toyota's Spectra Blue Mica

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.