Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been browsing for a convertible for some time... really miss the roofless option despite the short season up here (my last convertible got about 8000 miles in 4 years - about as much as I drive my Mazda)

So, not instead of the 6, but in addition to, I keep coming back to the C70. What do people think of it? There are sportier convertibles to be had, for sure, but I already have plenty of "sport" in the 6 that I don't take advantage of.

I found a 2002 with <50K miles offered at $17K within a couple hours from me. I may have to go take a look at this one since all the book values I'm coming up with are over $20K. Convertible season is pretty much over up here, that may help on the price.

This one's an auto, with the high-pressure 240HP turbo (5cyl). They do come in a 5-speed but those are much harder to find.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
the a/c sucks, the cars are expensive to work on, and they always break. I would highly suggest you look at a different car. You are much better off with a late model bmw convertible for about 18-19.

My company makes some of the electronics parts that interface with the t5 turbo engine, and I personally would not trust that engine for anything. Way too finnicky

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the a/c sucks, the cars are expensive to work on, and they always break. I would highly suggest you look at a different car. You are much better off with a late model bmw convertible for about 18-19.

My company makes some of the electronics parts that interface with the t5 turbo engine, and I personally would not trust that engine for anything. Way too finnicky
[/b]
No other comments? They didn't make too many of the old C70 but maybe there's a reason why they didn't sell too many.

I found this one BMW, a little more than I'm looking to spend at the moment but it's a hella deal - $20K for a car that lists retail high 20s by all pricing sites. I wonder if there's something wrong with it. 2002 325ci 57K miles, manual and even with the hardtop...

(edit, removing link so nobody else can jump on it before I do)

·
Registered
990 Posts
my boss at my old job had one. He had the LPT...green on tan. It was nice enough...I guess. I like the styling of the coupe a lot, but the convertible doesn't do as much for me.

I agree that a 3-Series would be a better buy.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my boss at my old job had one. He had the LPT...green on tan. It was nice enough...I guess. I like the styling of the coupe a lot, but the convertible doesn't do as much for me.

I agree that a 3-Series would be a better buy.
[/b]
I'm starting to agree. I think I found mine, and if the stars line up, I'll be buying it shortly... (where it will then sit in my garage all winter while I look at it every night waiting for spring)

EDIT: Done deal! picking up on Tuesday. Can't wait to pick out wheels/tires in the spring :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
990 Posts
congrats...I love the E46. So what are the details?

328/330? manual? Price (if you don't mind). My wife would love one of these some day. Check out the rims on the 330i HP version...they look excellent (but I'd guess they're stupid expensive).

·
Registered
649 Posts
I'm glad you didn't go with the C70. We have one sitting in the driveway right now. It is my dads, it has like 90k and while i will admit my dad doesn't take care of his cars, the C70 was nothing but problems. Hell the car was even leaking for awhile there. If you just cared that the top went down i guess it wasn't too bad but it was not a drivers car, there was no response from it and there was no thrill in driving it. Good luck with the beamer.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
congrats...I love the E46. So what are the details?

328/330? manual? Price (if you don't mind). My wife would love one of these some day. Check out the rims on the 330i HP version...they look excellent (but I'd guess they're stupid expensive).

[/b]
Thanks! countdown to pickup...

Not much more detail to offer other than what I already posted above :) 2002 325ci 5-speed manual, 57K miles, tan leather, removable body-color hardtop. Appears to be "base" model but in super shape - soft top = perfect, interior = only a couple blems. Body = only one little chafed corner but no dents/dings. Everything works. Cooper snows mounted on stock rims, comes with extra set of summer tires (haven't seen, no idea what kind or condition). ???HP/TQ - don't care. I didn't buy this for blinding speed, mainly for convertible.

Selling price = 20K, getting 10.5K for my Subaru in trade - I could get a little more selling it myself but by the time I sell it, this car will probably be gone at that price. Traded into a dealer that couldn't sell it in summer, and it's VERY hard to sell a RWD convertible in November in NH ;)

·
Registered
990 Posts
Thanks! countdown to pickup...

Not much more detail to offer other than what I already posted above :) 2002 325ci 5-speed manual, 57K miles, tan leather, removable body-color hardtop. Appears to be "base" model but in super shape - soft top = perfect, interior = only a couple blems. Body = only one little chafed corner but no dents/dings. Everything works. Cooper snows mounted on stock rims, comes with extra set of summer tires (haven't seen, no idea what kind or condition). ???HP/TQ - don't care. I didn't buy this for blinding speed, mainly for convertible.

Selling price = 20K, getting 10.5K for my Subaru in trade - I could get a little more selling it myself but by the time I sell it, this car will probably be gone at that price. Traded into a dealer that couldn't sell it in summer, and it's VERY hard to sell a RWD convertible in November in NH ;)
[/b]
hp/tq should be 184/175. Seems like an excellent price for an '02...especially with the hardtop...those were pricey. Have fun!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts