Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i purchased a mazda 6s last week and i love it. i have been reading the forums for a few days, and i have seen all the info on duratec performance and the aftermarket parts they are making for the 6. i was wondering if adding these parts, such as cold air intake, exhaust, headers, and springs, would void my warranty. would i have to consult my dealership for this info?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Reading Topic: voiding warranties

I imagine it would. Car warranties work the same way most warranties do and that is if you add something to it (that isn't available from the manufacturer) that wasn't originally there when they sent it to you, it'll void the warranty.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Replying to Topic 'voiding warranties'

Originally posted by Gecko_2k2

I imagine it would. Car warranties work the same way most warranties do and that is if you add something to it (that isn't available from the manufacturer) that wasn't originally there when they sent it to you, it'll void the warranty.[/b]

not true. see the SEMA web site http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8124.
Long story short, Intake, Header and Exhaust mods will not void your warranty. Now if you start chipping your car, or doing major work to the engine such as turbo/super chargers, that could void your warranty.

·
Registered
793 Posts

u know right when i started lookin for a universal exhaust the warrenty was the first thing i thought about also...

·
Registered
75 Posts

your 6 is still covered except for the parts that you change and the parts that they relate to directly.

·
Registered
76 Posts

Could some of you guys that are more familiar with Mazda's comment on how Mazda is as far as honoring warranties when you have aftermarket mods.

I know that Honda usually doesn't care about this, but Nissan will almost make you jump through hoops of fire sometimes. It's illegal, yes, but they hope that the hassle they put you through will make you just pay out of pocket, since Nissan has been very stingy in the past with reimbursing dealerships for warranty claims.

So how is Mazda in this regard?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

I can only say as it relates to the Miata. It seems to vary greatly from dealer to dealer. Some dealers seem to have no problems with mods within reason but others see a roll bar and you have to fight tooth and nail to get something done.

Since your dealer is the first step in any warranty work be sure you have a good one.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts

when a part is not enhancing the cars performance and is just for show and sumden else is when it voids the warrenty i think.

·
Registered
980 Posts

Originally posted by SteVTEC

Could some of you guys that are more familiar with Mazda's comment on how Mazda is as far as honoring warranties when you have aftermarket mods.

I know that Honda usually doesn't care about this, but Nissan will almost make you jump through hoops of fire sometimes.  It's illegal, yes, but they hope that the hassle they put you through will make you just pay out of pocket, since Nissan has been very stingy in the past with reimbursing dealerships for warranty claims.

So how is Mazda in this regard?[/b]
I would also like to know how Mazda is regarding honouring the warranty. Also how reliable are their cars? I am a Mazda newbie so please help me out.

·
Registered
514 Posts

Legally, aftermarket parts can only void PORTIONS of warranties, if it can be proven that said part (e.g. such as a header) somehow damaged a related system directly (e.g. by overheating and cracking paint on the engine bay metal). That's not to say some dealers won't just say "your vehicle warranty is voided" because the only way you could contest that is to sue them and most people won't do that. I'm just saying that legally, they can't do that.

-Alt

·
Registered
20 Posts

Case in point...if you buy an after market suspension kit, struts, springs, anti-roll bars etc. and you blow your head gasket and melt your engine the car company is on the hook for that engine. Your aftermarket parts had nothing to do with a blown engine!
If you say take a 2.3 i4 boost it with 18 psi off of a turbo and your connecting rod shoots through your engine block...well you are screwed. The tough part is if you add a cold air intake and then your head gasket blows...whos fault is it? 99.999% of the time the CAI could not cause this failure but could you convince a dealer to stand behind the defective part?...that is your chance.
Tim

·
Registered
78 Posts

just do bolt ons if you f-up your mas sensor with you cai swap it..if you have headers and your o2 sensor gets f-up swap it..hopefully mazda is like chevy..i had a blazer bagged on 18 with my frame steped doors shaved full aftermarket stereo and 3/4 of my motor cromed...they still waranty all the work i ever needed on my truck

·
Registered
322 Posts

All we have to do in Aussie to void our warranty is fill up at the wrong petrol station :p

There's a great big 'underground' mixing ethanol with petrol as they don't have to pay tax on the ethanol. A lot of these places have it spiked 20% ethanol to 80% petrol. Boom there goes your warranty.

·
Registered
75 Posts

so how does one test his petrol??

·
Registered
119 Posts

Originally posted by Rainchild

All we have to do in Aussie to void our warranty is fill up at the wrong petrol station :p

There's a great big 'underground' mixing ethanol with petrol as they don't have to pay tax on the ethanol.  A lot of these places have it spiked 20% ethanol to 80% petrol.  Boom there goes your warranty.[/b]
Major major scam this one and none of the oz govt boffins want to do a thing about it.
Considering that one of J. Howards best mates is involved big time with oz's biggest ethanol producer i'm not suprised the feds wont touch it !!

20% ethanol stuffs your engine big time and cos our 6's like the premium drop of petrol it will super root our engines if they are fed a constant diet of adulterated fuel.

NO WARRANTY COVER if this happens

·
Registered
322 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'voiding warranties'

Just gotta hope that ppl don't spike the premium petrol. I fill up at BP using BP ultimate (98 octane); so hopefully they don't spike it.

Sydney had the worst corruption, followed by Melbourne. Brisbane had none in the stations they tested. But they only tested like 20 stations from each city.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts