Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recieved my VIS Invader hood about 3 weeks ago and today when I go out to the car I see that it is starting to change color on the front lip of the hood. It is starting to turn a light brown color. Other than being bad quality, what could have caused this? I had the hood fitted by a body shop so is there any way that they somehow accidently put some sort of chemical on it that would have caused it to change color like that? I have gotten in touch with the Ebay seller who was real tough to talk to (he had such a heavy asian accent so I had the toughest time understanding him) and he wasnt friendly at all. Of course he said he wanted to see pictures so I just sent those to him but the thing is that it is real hard to see it in the pictures. Even in the best case scenario where he offers to exchange it for a new one, that would mean that I would have to ship this damn thing, which I have no idea how to do and then I dont have a hood on my car. What should I look for in the ways or him making this right with me? Thanks

·
Registered
823 Posts
Is it just right down on the edge, where it isn't shiney?

Kind of hard to tell from the pics (which, BTW, are humongous).

I have heard of some CF turning yellow with age, I believe that is general regarded with lower quality CF pieced, but haven't heard of them browning.

Anyone else have any experience with this?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Hard to see the problem even with the pics the size of The U.S.

It's going to be hard to get the guy to do anthing about it.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah its right on the edge of the hood. i couldnt get those pics to resize, if anyone can, let me know and i can send them to you

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
roger that. vis=PIECE OF SHIT HOOD. i have close to 50 cracks in the clear coat in mine. and it was a nice carbon black when i got it, and its now sort of a olive color. i am completely dissatisfied with my hood. and would not suggest a vis hood under any circumstances. they are shit.

oh, i have had my hood about 13 months, and my car is garage kept. just to answer a few ?'s.

yea, and a call to vis, and they said thats what happens with the hot arizona sun, and theres nothing they would do for me. basically meaning DON'T EVER BUY SHIT FROM THEM AGAIN. ;)

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
bought vis cf hood..
fitment is great and no discoloration...and shes not garaged..
although ive had her clearcoated twice over prior to installing..

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
had mine longer than anyone here, no bad discoloration or cracking at all. i'd give VIS a call directly and see what they say, it couldn't hurt at least. let them know it's been 3 weeks and you see these spots in the clear already. be sure to update us as well on the progress.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Damn that sucks, christian. Being way out in NE, it makes dealing with these things a serious PITA since even a return would not be worthwhile with all the shipping $$ and headaches.

I'd try to see what ViS says, and they can't give you crap about the AZ sun at least! In the end, if it's just cosmetic you might be able to just have it painted. Of course any cracking after the fact would reealllyy suck.

I'm on my second hood now (Seibon evo, just waiting for the car..), first hood was crap and ended up giving it away (thx DaveRulz!).

·
Registered
216 Posts
From what I've heard discoloration on CF hoods is extremely common. From what I've seen VIS makes some really good hoods but have had a lot of complaints about the discoloration problem. My friend totalled in Protege and flipped it twice, his VIS CF hood only had a 3 or 4 inch crack in it... compared to the rest of the car is like a little scratch after after someone just tried to stab you to death, but needless to say it didn't matter what his hood looked like since he didn't have a car to put it on. The discoloration though I think it has to do with the clear coat they're using especially since everyone I know that have sanded it down and slapped on 2 or 3 layers clear coats haven't had any discoloration issues. Keep in mind I live in NJ, long blazing heatwaves during summer, 3ft of snow and 40mph wind during winter, acid rain up the ass, and old people that smell funny and wear their pants really really high.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've had my Vis for awhile now with no complaints. As for the discoloration, it's probably just the clearcoat.

My CF grille hazed up and looked like total crap. I just took it to the bodyshop, and they recleared it, and it looks better than when I got it now.
[/b]
your hood is hot. Where did you order it from?

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I've had my Vis for awhile now with no complaints. As for the discoloration, it's probably just the clearcoat.

My CF grille hazed up and looked like total crap. I just took it to the bodyshop, and they recleared it, and it looks better than when I got it now.
[/b]
When you pay as much as you do for these pieces, there should be no reason that you have to go out and spend even more to get it right.

·
Registered
276 Posts
This is why I just ordered a Seibon one from CVR. Should be here by weeks end.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
20 Participants
Kevin6s
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing