Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone have any problems getting the caron fiber VIS Evo hood to close and latch? Mine won't go all the way down and latch. I also can't get the windshield wiper squirters all the way in .Thanks.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well shocker, going along with the fact that I have the worst luck in the world, my hood wouldn't latch at all. I ended up taking it back off and putting my stock hood back on. Hopefully I can get ahold of VIS and see what they can do. I unscrewed the latch and pushed it up as far as I could but the bar on the CF hood just doesn't reach far enough down to lock. Figures.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there no adjustability on the hood for mounting?
[/b]
Not really I undid the 4 bolts that connect it to the arms and tried moving it around to get it to lock down but no result. It just seems like the made the bar in that locks in too short so it doesn't push the little lever down far enough to lock in place.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
you have to physically cut some material off the safety latch to get it to sit properly. as that interferes with it closing all the way.

btw by safety latch i mean the little guy you have to slide over after you pop the hood in order to be able to open the hood.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you have to physically cut some material off the safety latch to get it to sit properly. as that interferes with it closing all the way.

btw by safety latch i mean the little guy you have to slide over after you pop the hood in order to be able to open the hood.
[/b]
Hmmm, you wouldn't happen to have any pictures of what you did to yours would you?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i did not take any stock, but i will get a picture today when the car gets home (wife takes it to work).
[/b]

Awesome, I appreciate it thank you.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
well, here are the pictures. not my best pictures, but you get the point. sorry i do not have a stock picture to compare it too, but you can compare my pics to your stock latch. over all i took about a 1/4" of material off the top, and that fixed all the problem. oh, and there was no way to adjust the latch to make it work, this was the only solution i could come up with. and it works perfectly. just be sure to take off the grill before you start cutting the latch with your dremel. oh, and it can be done easily with the latch on the car. thats how i did mine. :)

[attachmentid=15646][attachmentid=15647]

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
Just use a grinder and take a bit of metal off the actual hinge and the bottom latch part...Make sure you line everything up n stuff. Take your time with it...And it should be fine!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmmm....you mean the latch on the hood? my problem was the part i show in my pics prevent the hood for catching the latch all the way....
[/b]

Awesome picture man, thank you for the help I'm gonna give this a try after the early NFL games are over. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
i think on the VIS hood i took a bit off the top of the latch on the hood, not the car....i think. now i have the Seibon hood on and it doesn't fit tight at all, wobbles up and down a bit all the time. the DGM hood wouldn't shut on my car unless i slammed it or pushed super hard after shutting normal.

guess it's the luck of the draw?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
you shouldnt have to modify something thats MADE for your car thats just pure stupidity. especially if ur paying 600+ dollars for it.. shoulda just gotten a seibon heh.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you shouldnt have to modify something thats MADE for your car thats just pure stupidity. especially if ur paying 600+ dollars for it.. shoulda just gotten a seibon heh.
[/b]
I agree that I shouldn't have to modify something after paying 600 dollars for it, but I think I'd have problems if I had gotten Seibon also.

·
Registered
394 Posts
the only brand of carbonfiber hood i have seen fit without any mods to the hood or car and fit as good as a oem hood was made by aerogear. latched perfectly, no play and matched all the body lines.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
[/b]
welcome to the world of aftermarket parts buddy. ;) especially when you have a car that has a very small market.

·
Registered
702 Posts
hmmm....you mean the latch on the hood? my problem was the part i show in my pics prevent the hood for catching the latch all the way....
[/b]
Oh, well that what I had to do with mine Tony...Before the mishap lol.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I only have one pic on photobucket but ill get more. The hood has to be slammed and its a VIS. As for the winshield sprayers i have to chissel out the holes a bit bigger to fit the pieces into the holes.
After moving the bracket up on the frame side, I still have to forcefuly shut the hood and airflow from the streets over 90mph makes it shake. I do need hood pins. Hope it helps. Hope you like to pic
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k152/cra...essescar032.jpg

1 - 20 of 27 Posts