Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my brother and I got a chance to drive on the 1.7 mile track at Motorsport Ranch in Cresson, TX. Some of the instructors there had pretty cool cars. One guy was driving a DeTomaso Pantera, and the guy we were following in the initial lead & follow sessions was driving a brand new Lamborghini Gallardo. It was so new, it wasn't even broken in yet. We also saw 2 diablos, and a Ferrari F430.

Anyway, here's a little snip of video from the event. Starting off, my brother is behind me in his STi - I let him by, then try to keep up for as long as I can!

Mazda 6s & STi @ MSR

If the above link is too slow, try this one instead (the quality is not as good though):
Mazda 6s & STi @ MSR - Google Video version

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
that looks hella fun... wish i was there to help represent the 6 crowd! :drive:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I added a faster link to my original post for the video. The quality is not nearly as good, but you won't have to wait long.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was your brother being nice to you or were you really keeping up like that? If so SWEET!
[/b]
No, I was really hanging with him there for a while. You can see he would take off in the straights, but I would reel him back in at every corner. I was going deeper into the braking zones, which helped a lot. Eventually he started to open up a gap on me as he started braking later. I passed at least one guy in an EVO and also a Carrera 4, 3000GT and a Talon that was on R-compounds. Not to say that the 6 is a better track car than any of those - I was just pushing harder than they were I guess. No one ever passed me except my brother and an EVO who both started right on my tail at the beginning of one of the sessions.

I got tons more video, but a lot of it isn't that great. I might post some of the lead and follow stuff so you can see the Gallardo in motion. It's a beautiful machine...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Falken RT615. 225 40 R18. Since we had several sessions and the tires had time to cool down in between, it was very obvious how getting heat in the tires improves grip. Each time I went out I would find that the grip was diminished until about 1 1/2 - 2 laps, then the tires would grip like crazy. I was taking the sweeper at nearly 80mph. Topping out at about 100mph in the straights.

On another note - it's rediculous how fast cars drink gas driving like this! I used 2/3 of a tank in two 30-min sessions!

·
Registered
475 Posts
nice job hangin with the Subies! looked like fun.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
excellent job. very very clear video too. what camera do you use? thats how i want my videos to be, perhaps a bit larger though
[/b]
The camera was my brother's. It is a Sony DCR-HC96. The original was higher res and better quality. My bro compressed it quite a bit to make it more "download friendly".

1 - 20 of 36 Posts