Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I bought the car, I get a vibration while accelerating. Only occurs when under load... not coasting. A long story short, two dealers were clueless about what it was and offered their "suggestions" as to what it was. First dealership, after a week in the shop replacing this and that concludes that it's the "characteristic" of the car. The other dealership said that I had the PSI in my tires too high. Mind you, he ended up putting 28psi in the tires.

Fast forward to now. Going in for my 6000 mile oil change next week. Decided to call MNA prior to going there to explain the issue and what has been done to remedy the problem. So it is on record. Lets see what happens this time.

The affect this vibration is having is on my tires. They are cupping. Now all 4 tires are cupping, since I had them rotate them at 3000k. I have some background in tires and stuff, usually when a tire cups like that, it is showing a suspension problem. Shocks, springs, what have you.

Does anyone have this problem? If so, was it fixed, and what was done to fix it.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
My car has developed a clunking (accompanied by vibration) during moderate to heavy acceleration. No solution yet, but I am suspicious of the differential mount failures I've read about on this forum. You can read more in the thread I started:
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=65709

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
As low as this might sound, this is one problem i've never herd. I guess now i have, so i can't say that any longer! lol.

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Vibration coupled with excessive tire wear makes me think alignment...

Also, this might not be something you would think of...but it could also be something as simple as some of the balancing weights in the rim coming off and leaving that tire unbalanced. Try taking off your tires one by one and looking for a spot where it looks like a wheel weight used to be and is no longer.

However, the fact you are getting tire wear on more than one tire makes me think alignment...

Good luck man!

:)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Vibration coupled with excessive tire wear makes me think alignment...

Also, this might not be something you would think of...but it could also be something as simple as some of the balancing weights in the rim coming off and leaving that tire unbalanced. Try taking off your tires one by one and looking for a spot where it looks like a wheel weight used to be and is no longer.

However, the fact you are getting tire wear on more than one tire makes me think alignment...

Good luck man!

[/b]

Mine needed an alignment from the first day i got it and one tire had no weights i would highly recommend that you get that checked.....One thing they also told me is that cars sitting in the lot for a while i.e Speed6's develop sitting spots from where they sit for so long hmm just a thought might be total b/s though

·
Premium Member
3,070 Posts
Mine needed an alignment from the first day i got it and one tire had no weights i would highly recommend that you get that checked.....One thing they also told me is that cars sitting in the lot for a while i.e Speed6's develop sitting spots from where they sit for so long hmm just a thought might be total b/s though [/b]
I think what you are thinking of is the rotors get warped if the car sits without moving for a long period of time. The constant weight on one part of the rotors makes them warp. However, the usual symptoms of this is pulsating brakes...not so much vibration, and definately not tire wear.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well I am not sure about rotor warpage (what weight is being put on the rotors when the car is at rest?) but sitting for a while in inclement weather can cause the tires to develop flat spots. Since you have over 6k on the tires though that seems out of the question. If the tires are cupping it is almost certainly a suspension problem. I assume they have already checked and re-checked the wheel bearings right? You said that your tires are all cupping since you have rotated them. Where (front/rear, left/right) did the cupping originate?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its not the alignment... they redid that twice. They also replaced a differential mount, but that wasn't it either. I thought it may be flat spots from sitting, it sat for 5 months. I ruled that out cause I rode on my bro-in-law's Altima SER rims for a bit, and still got the vibration. The cupping is both inside and out and it goes against the rotation of the tire. I haven't asked them to look at the bearings yet... maybe be a good idea. Other than whats been done so far, I'm thinking maybe the shocks, springs, flywheel, driveshaft, differentials....

Well I am not sure about rotor warpage (what weight is being put on the rotors when the car is at rest?) but sitting for a while in inclement weather can cause the tires to develop flat spots. Since you have over 6k on the tires though that seems out of the question. If the tires are cupping it is almost certainly a suspension problem. I assume they have already checked and re-checked the wheel bearings right? You said that your tires are all cupping since you have rotated them. Where (front/rear, left/right) did the cupping originate?
[/b]

·
Registered
557 Posts
I noticed the same but especially with moderate speeding... Do you think the dealer will change the tires under warranty? My car sat in the lot for awhile before I bought it....

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is what I'm getting....

Feather Edging

Feather edging will normally occur if the toe adjustment is incorrect. Misadjustment of toe can develop from defective chassis parts, incorrect turning radius or misalignment. Defective chassis parts are not the direct cause of feather edging but will allow toe to go out of adjustment resulting in a wear pattern. Any change in the suspension height of a vehicle will change toe measurement.

Tire Feather
Feather edging is identified by sliding the hand across the tire tread surface. Depending to which extreme the toe is misadjusted (in or out), sharp edges will be felt in one direction and smoothness will be felt in the opposite direction. Feather edging can result in a direction pull and eventually ruin the tires.

To correct the condition, alignment and tire rotation or replacement is necessary.

That would be alignment right? Your telling me that the mazda techs didn't align it properly?

·
Registered
90 Posts
To correct the condition, alignment and tire rotation or replacement is necessary.
That would be alignment right? Your telling me that the mazda techs didn't align it properly?
[/b]

You can align a car all day long ... If the damage to the tires is already done it's not going to be reversed.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
True, but when they did the alignment, I had not rotated the tires yet. So, the problem was not fixed because when I rotated them, the other two developed that wear. I'm thinking its a problem with the suspension.

You can align a car all day long ... If the damage to the tires is already done it's not going to be reversed.
[/b]

·
Registered
90 Posts
True, but when they did the alignment, I had not rotated the tires yet. So, the problem was not fixed because when I rotated them, the other two developed that wear. I'm thinking its a problem with the suspension.
[/b]

I have yet to see an awd (nevermind the fact of a performance awd) vehicle that doesn't exhibit some type of accelerated wear on the front tires. It's a common thing.
I am curious where you feel this vibration. In the steering wheel?, gas pedal?, seat of the pants? whole car? How hard to you have to be accelerating? The way you described it at first I thought you were talking a powertrain issue, but now you are stating alignments, rotations, etc. Confusing.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have yet to see an awd (nevermind the fact of a performance awd) vehicle that doesn't exhibit some type of accelerated wear on the front tires. It's a common thing.
I am curious where you feel this vibration. In the steering wheel?, gas pedal?, seat of the pants? whole car? How hard to you have to be accelerating? The way you described it at first I thought you were talking a powertrain issue, but now you are stating alignments, rotations, etc. Confusing.
[/b]

Could be the over all feel of a awd vehicle.... :laugh:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have about 5500 miles on mine now, and I think this started appearing at about 3000, along with the howling from the rear end - 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear do it the most. I don't know if what i'm feeling is a 'vibration', but more of an unsteady, or jerky acceleration when under load, though 'jerky' would be overstating the case. Doesn't have to be WOT to produce the effect - usually half throttle or a little better will do it - 'normal' accel, like as if getting up to speed on a freeway on ramp...

Is this what you're talking about? Or more of a true 'unbalanced wheel' vibration that would cause your steering wheel to jitter back and forth while acceling or braking?

I had aftermarket wheels and tires mounted at about 3500 miles, and just finished a 1800 mile road-trip. (I'll be posting details later today) Though the symptom of 'jerky' acceleration was present for the entire duration of the trip, when acceling, I noticed absolutely no odd tread wear or excessive road noise.

Of course i'm concerned about it, but yes, hesitant to take it to a dealer without something more than "I'm uncomfortable with the way it feels", considering some of the service department responses i've read here.

:-/

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It feels like tire vibration (when a tire is out of balance), but when I put it in neutral or let off the gass, the vibration goes away. I can feel it mostly... everywhere. Mind you, it is not a terrible vibration. But enough to notice it and the passengers can notice it.

I have about 5500 miles on mine now, and I think this started appearing at about 3000, along with the howling from the rear end - 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear do it the most. I don't know if what i'm feeling is a 'vibration', but more of an unsteady, or jerky acceleration when under load, though 'jerky' would be overstating the case. Doesn't have to be WOT to produce the effect - usually half throttle or a little better will do it - 'normal' accel, like as if getting up to speed an a freeway on ramp...

Is this what you're talking about? Or more of a true 'unbalanced wheel' vibration that would cause your steering wheel to jitter back and forth while acceling or braking?

I had aftermarket wheels and tires mounted at about 3500 miles, and just finished a 1800 mile road-trip. (I'll be posting details later today) Though the symptom of 'jerky' acceleration was present for the entire duration of the trip, when acceling, I noticed absolutely no odd tread wear or excessive road noise.

Of course i'm concerned about it, but yes, hesitant to take it to a dealer with something more than "I'm uncomfortable with the way it feels", considering some of the service department responses i've read here.

:-/
[/b]

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Have you checked your engine mounts?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts