Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks XWired. I am about to call the dealer again since the balancing didn't work out and to ask them to switch the axles....

Flyandi, I can't think of an explanation why that did work but hey, if it workes who cares. What spacers did you use?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just read thru this issue. I remember seeing another member saying that the dealer said it "had to do with sitting on the lot too long" also. How long were they sitting there? I've had no issues 2016/6 bought it in July 2015. But: with peeling rims etc. it seems they are having rim issues. I'd believe that before thinking its just bad tires. Keep us posted, thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It may sound stupid, but have you checked the tire pressure? When my '16 6GT was delivered it had over 50psi in the tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A set of 4 Goodyear Eagle F1's eliminated or reduced vibration to unnoticeable levels at higher speeds. I am always feeling out for vibration though, my daily commute to work is via interstate hwy. The commutes have been vibration free, albeit typical road noise for so-so sections of road. My only questions are: Did the set of better tires merely suppress the vibration problem to difficult to detect levels? that a set of not so good tires amplified? Are the wheels suffering from a design defect and that's the issue? I think I read on here or elsewhere someone swapped out 19s for 17s and still suffered the vibration.

Overall I feel the issue is resolved for now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm from Toronto as well! I have a '15 GT and noticed two similar problems: 1) a vibration from around 40 to 50km/h, shakes the whole car a bit, and 2) a minor vibration at highway speeds that I don't feel much but know it's there since either items in the car or the steering wheel you can tell are vibrating.

So far the first issue at 40ish km/h, I've tried fixing with an alignment and balancing. Worked for like the first few days, but then I noticed the vibration coming back. They said they put some weights on the rim to balance it too, but I don't know, was like a temporary fix. Then I got aftermarket rims and noticed the problem disappeared for a few days too, but came back... So far my suspicions are with the OEM Dunlops which have I've been using all along. Don't really feel like dishing out for new tires at the moment as they're relatively new. Hopefully someone else has an answer to this.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm from Toronto as well! I have a '15 GT and noticed two similar problems: 1) a vibration from around 40 to 50km/h, shakes the whole car a bit, and 2) a minor vibration at highway speeds that I don't feel much but know it's there since either items in the car or the steering wheel you can tell are vibrating.

So far the first issue at 40ish km/h, I've tried fixing with an alignment and balancing. Worked for like the first few days, but then I noticed the vibration coming back. They said they put some weights on the rim to balance it too, but I don't know, was like a temporary fix. Then I got aftermarket rims and noticed the problem disappeared for a few days too, but came back... So far my suspicions are with the OEM Dunlops which have I've been using all along. Don't really feel like dishing out for new tires at the moment as they're relatively new. Hopefully someone else has an answer to this.
For your case, I'd suggest that tyres are the issue, specially when they are widely known for being awful (Don't ask me how awful they are, because I never put them on, I've just read as you guys have)

After I've been through all this horrendous drama to get rid of vibration, the only option I have left is the wheels themselves, but I doubt it. Many Mazda 6 owners would complain about it if they had some defective manufacturing slips. Keep in mind that I tried two different sets 17' and all were brand new genuine and that didn't really work. Once I thought of putting on after market wheels like the Enkeis but I wouldn't waste a lot of quids on something uncertain, besides I'm not into after market wheels (I love to keep the authentic look of the car :) )

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I just swapped the crappy Dunlops out for Conti's DWS06 tires last weekend. Remarkable difference in NVH. Tire noise is markedly reduced, especially during turns, and the ride is much smoother. To me, I just chalk it up to the Dunlop being a woefully inferior tire. When you factor in the Dunlop's MSRP, it's a head scratcher.

It's unfortunate that Mazda won't switch to Yokos for the 19in OEs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hm well, I have the stock 17" Yoko's and have vibrition from the beginning.

It has changed over time though. Now it vibrates under full accelleration from 100-140 km/h.

I am starting to think the rootcause are the axles and not the rims and/or tires but I can't tell for sure since the moment the car starts to vibrate changes every time. Sometimes it's fine but when I go on the highway after a short stop suddenly it starts again...

Driving me nuts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Hi guys,

I kinda gave up on the whole vibration thing. I decided to live with it. The dealer i was taking it to (Budd's Oakville) tried everything including fitting me with pilot super sports and having Mazda Canada come in to look at it 3 times and couldn't figure it out.

I still feel it around 115+ kph. my driver's side mirror (not the assy. but just the glass) also vibrates at around this speed.

I guess lesson learned is not to buy Mazda next time. Especially if you're sensitive as I am.

Cheers,

·
Registered
40 Posts
Unfortunately I too am suffering from significant vibration, always occurring between 65 and 75 mph. I've only taken it in once so far and they performed a balance and then claiming the issue had been fixed. After hitting the highway several days later, vibration still there. In my 6, it is pretty intense, steering wheel shaking, pedals shaking, mirrors and visor shaking. Even in the passenger seat you feel as if you're in a massage chair.

I have an appointment on Thursday for them to take another look. I do have a '16 GT with Dunlops but I'm not convinced that tires alone would cause such significant vibration in the cabin. Just rather disappointed currently since this car costs quite a bit more than either my pretty basic Honda CR-Z or Civic, which both had really smooth rides at highway speeds. Hell, even my rental Elantra was butter smooth on the highway compared to this car.

I'll keep this thread updated with my progress in hopes this will help others.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Update from my side of the globe (sounds evil, but not intended).

I went on holiday vacation with my family and drove a heavy loaded car (4 persons/Tens/camping chairs/etc) and a roofbox to Germany. In total it was a short trip of +/- 2350 km/1450 miles with a highway cruising speed of 150km/h (93miles/h)

I had set up the tyre pressure according to the extra load and felt vibration all the time.

BUT: Holiday is over and we have unloaded the car.....and I drove 2 times on the highway and the vibration is......almost gone.

It confuses me and I cannot explain it. I had it once before after a full speed trip in Germany but after a while the vibration came back. Now I can still feel some vibration when I accellerate from 120 to 140 km/h with full throttle (always) and when breaking really softly (two or three times).

The tyre pressure is still according to the maximum loaded car and allthough I know it is'nt the right thing I intend to leave that way.

I am not sure the trip "cured" the car but so far I am having somewhat more fun driving it.

Can anyone explain this?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Update... Service department again decided it was an unbalanced wheel. Took it back out on the highway, vibration still pretty prominent at 70mph. Still deciding if I should make yet another appointment with the service department or attempt contacting Mazda directly.

After owning several Japanese cars, this is my first Mazda. At this point I'm thankful, being unfamiliar with the brand, that I decided to lease. Of course, I've had issues with the Toyotas and Hondas that I've owned but nothing like this.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Force balance it and see if it shows any improvement. Vibrations are notoriously hard to identify, it can be anything from a rim which is bent, a tire that has minute deformations, suspension or steering parts or something else. The 19 inch rims as good as they look, do take a battering on bridge joints and potholes. The only car i ever owned with the smoothest ride and little to no vibrations even after thousands of miles was my 97 Camry with 14 inch steel rims ! Larger the rim size, more the headache with balancing and vibrations.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Force balance it and see if it shows any improvement. Vibrations are notoriously hard to identify, it can be anything from a rim which is bent, a tire that has minute deformations, suspension or steering parts or something else. The 19 inch rims as good as they look, do take a battering on bridge joints and potholes. The only car i ever owned with the smoothest ride and little to no vibrations even after thousands of miles was my 97 Camry with 14 inch steel rims ! Larger the rim size, more the headache with balancing and vibrations.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into force balancing. I suppose it could also be that I'm just not used to 19" wheels, the largest wheels I've had prior to this were 17" on my 09 Accord Coupe. The 19" on the 6 are just so gorgeous though. :crying:

·
Registered
762 Posts
I too have been suffering from this intermittently, and on the Passenger side. I just got new Nitto Invos (great tires, reduces road noise significantly), however they clearly revealed the issue. Since I KNOW that the tires have been balanced, and the wheels were likely swapped around, the issue stayed in the same place, so it suggests alignment OR need for component replacement (brake rotors or ball joints). Since I have cross-drilled slotted brakes, that shake at times when braking, I'll think I will start there, and see IF that alleviates my issues. I'll keep you all informed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, is it cool to bump this thread? I recently bought a new Mazda with OEM 225/45 ZR 19 that came from the dealer, I believe they are Nankangs. I love everything about my 6 except the vibration at motorway/highway speed (above 120Km/ph) which is really frustrating. It seems worse on newer, smoother road surfaces.

I brought it back to the Mazda dealer, they took it for a test drive....... but on an old surface where the problem doesn't occur. They said there was no problem and that it was down to the low profile tires. Unfortunately we'd have to go reasonable far to hit a stretch of road where it happens. I know with low profiles tires you can "feel" the road a bit more. I get that sensation at all other speeds which I'm fine with, but surely you should not have the entire car vibrate? I mean, I've had a Ford Fiesta in the 90s which was smoother on motorways/highways.

I feel it worst through the seat and when my foot is on the dummy pedal beside the clutch. It can literally feel like all the backs of my legs are jiggling at times. It feels a bit like sitting on a massage chair, the best way I can describe it is like a "vibrancy" through the bottom of the seat. I have a car seat cushion on the passengers seat which I can look over and see shaking a lot as soon as I can get the vibration through my own seat. The cushion is motionless when I can't feel the vibration - it's a good visual gauge that something isn't right and I'm not crazy. The only thing I added was the wheel locks, but I thought I had one drive which showed the problem before they were fitted.

I would happily go and get 225/55 R17 I thought it would solve the problem. I love the look of the 19" rims but if they are the root cause of the issue, I would happily ditch them. If I can get this vibration sorted, I will hold onto the car for the long term, but if not I will probably trade within a year (which is super disappointing because I love how it looks, the sat nav & MZD connect)

Did anyone get a resolution to this and if so could you please share? I would love to get this problem sorted......

·
Registered
62 Posts
My brand new 17 plate needed all 4 wheels balanced properly. Find a shop that has a road force balancer. After I had mine done it was smooth as silk. Although since a puncture repair I'm now getting vibration again because they didn't balance it properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 68 Posts