Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it's not wheel/tires being the cause of the vibrations, then it could be the axle or CV joint which is one of the common reasons for vibrations in fwd cars. But considering your car is fairly new, could be a factory defect. Check to see if there are any tink cracks on the rubber housing of the outer cv.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Whomp noise?

I'm having a similar issue. 2014 GT 6, just changed oil at 36k miles, after a 3k trip from San Diego to Philly. With the oil change i rotated tires. I now have this crazy "whomping" noise from the front driver tire that only appears up to 30mph. It's more prevalent between 20mph-30mph but you can still hear it as you increase speed from 0 to 30mph. Took it back to the shop and the old man swore it was the air filter (seemed extremely odd to me). I let him change it solely for the reason of it being extremely dirty at 36k miles and a cross-country trip. He claimed that was the solution, clearly it was not. I'm still having the noise. Tires seem to be in a very driveable condition still, especially since I'm only having the problem with the front driver. Any ideas? Suggestions?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experiences. I believe the force balance that they did at the dealership for me is what you are referring to. They balanced the tires with load at higher speed. They also had some way of determining the optimal location to place each wheel/tire on the car (front/back/left/right). That seemed to help a little with the vibration but it did not did not completely get rid of it. They put four new tires on last week but I have not had a chance to take the car on the highway yet. I will be doing that on Monday for a 400 mile round trip, so I will soon know if the new tires solved the problem.
I wish I had read these comments before buying a 2016 Mazda 6, I love the car but the vibration is driving me nuts. I have brought mine in 3 times multiple test drives to include another new Mazda 6. Dealer states they want to help, but very reluctant to change out tires. This should not happen when you buy a new car!

Did changing the tire/rim size to 17" help?

Has anyone had any success in eliminating the vibration?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I work at my local dealer as a tech. I have a vibration as well even though I road forced balanced the tires twice and only have 900 miles. All the tires are very very low numbers with road force (like 2-10) (20lbs + of road force is excessive for a passenger car) Its weird. I feel it more around 65-75 and sometimes its not even there. I can see my passenger visor vibrating as my radar is clipped onto that. Plus my passenger seat headrest vibrates. Other times I think I feel it worse when touching the gas but then slapping it in neutral does not change it. So that rules out axles you would think. I really doubt its the 45 series profile. We have not had any other 6 come into the shop for a vibration issue. But yet again I have not driven another for a decent distance. But being how I am super anal and my 02 regal with 248k does not vibrate this much I am not happy. There are also no tsb's for vibrations. I might just have to get in contact with our mazda guy that comes to the shops when the concern can't be fixed. A rule of thumb is put the worse road force number farthest away from the driver. I did how ever have this Saturn a long time ago and the customer had a bad tire vibration. We went through the whole process and not able to fix it. Then one day he came in and wanted his tires rotated (worse up front) The vibration was gone.....No clue how. Now that I think even some of the mazda 5's have these vibration dampeners attached to the lower control arms. Even for the 3 there is a tiny weight looking thing on a bracket that attaches to where the upper part of the sway bar end link bolts through the strut, under the rear cradle there is a weight type thing bolted to it. Maybe the 6 is missing some of these components????

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just looked quickly at my car and it does in fact have the dampers on both front end link tops. Rule that out.

Next...I just talked to the guy at mazda. Obviously he stated to swap wheels/tires from another like car to see if it still vibrates or vice versa. I might end up doing that as the owners son has the exact car of mine. There is also another employee with a 15' GT that I just installed Conti DWS's on but he has 17k on the car. I have yet to drive that. He says it is WAY better than the Dunlops but I will be the decision maker.

Another thing Mr. Mazda mentioned was loosening the engine mounts and brake torqueing it in drive and tightening them. Drive it to see if it did anything. Then try it in reverse to see if that changed. So I will be trying this or at least loosening them and letting any tension do the work.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It's not about the tyre's low profile. I changed my 19 rims to the 17 ones (new OEMs), and I have to say the 19s were much better in terms of not having vibration issues. When I changed the rims to 17, I installed Toyo CS1 on them. Then I started suffering from vibration, and tried many times to balance them with no luck. Then changed the tyres and installed Sumitomo, and after a while went to Coopertires Service Centre, and somehow they convinced me that the tyres were faulty and need replacement. They offered me the Cooper Ultra CS5 and I installed them, thinking the nightmare would be over, but it turned out that getting rid of vibration is just in my dreams.

Till day, I'm writing this reply with the feeling of vibration transmitted into my body and brain :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Update:

After a couple of revisits to Coopertires Service Centre, they finally admitted the fault in tyres and agreed to refund me. Installed Hankook Optimo K415 and I'm happy to say the vibration is over, they are as smooth as a baby cheek :)

·
Registered
779 Posts
SO I am starting to have the exact same issue at 11.5k - huge vibration .. it feels like the entire front linkage is loose when driving (obviously it's not - or at least I hope so)..

I am going to the dealer this week that they can diagnose it.

I may ask them to swap the tires with another car and see if the issue persists.

Also I bought the extended warranty and tire warranty .. so this should be all covered.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hello,

In my case - seems like the tire/wheel combination is the issue. I had no issues when I had the 17" winter tires installed. But when I re-installed my OEMs last week - the vibrations are back. I have no idea why or what. But I can say in my case that it is the wheels/tires.

However, the side mirror on my driver's side still vibrated above 120km/h. Perhaps some aerodynamic flutter issue...

can't say it's the best car i bought and definitely not recommending it to anyone.. especially if they have a long hwy commute like mine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
well the more I keep reading about the Dunlop OEM tires the more I find how horrible they are. Most rating are 2.5 out of 5 and after 11k most have thrown them away. Even gathering quick flat spots on the tires is known to them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2016 Mazda 6GT 19" wheels and Dunlop tires. Getting a higher speed vibration, through floor board, a bit through steering wheel, and feel it in drivers seat. The vibration comes and goes, its a resonance vibration. Just had it in the dealership the other day for a force balance (1/4 oz weight for all 4 tires), they also checked alignment (good) all this before they road tested. Which they said is good to go. Well it isn't because I still feel it just like before. I had no vibration issue up until about 8000 miles when I began to notice it. Almost like it started after the very first tire rotation at 5000 miles. I agree dunlop tires make some real crappy tires. But I wonder if it really is wheels or tires. One interesting thing is when I take right turns at say 30-35 mph I feel like i'm losing traction, but don't feel that when doing left turns at the same speeds. Right now I'm at just under 11,000 miles so this is before the 12 month 12,000 mile warranty Mazda has on satisfaction?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well, I have the M6 2.2D 2016 (10.000 km´s) and having the vibration problem too from the beginning.

The car has been balanced twice now and still it's vibrating between 100-140 km/h, not in the steering wheel but in the floor/pedals.

The strange thing is that it's not always vibrating: The car has it's "good and bad days" which is frustrating because I can't find the logic behind it. Sometimes the vibrating starts at 100 km/h and ends at 130 km/h, sometimes it starts at 120 km/h and it stops at 130 km/h. I don't have the exact numbers, but now you can see how strange it is.

Also sometimes the car is resonating a bit at +/- 80 km/h but that is really sometimes.

So far I have a "two way" thought: Or the problem is in the combination wheels/tires or the problem is in the suspension system. I ruled the engine out (different rev's don't make a difference) and gears too (I have a manual and clutch in/out has no impact).

It seems that the outside temperature has influence and maybe the weight of the car too. I think I noticed a difference between a full and half full fuel tank. Don't know for sure yet.

I googled this problem and there are much more people complaining about this issue here in Europe and the US (also older cars) so Mazda Corp must be aware of this. At least I hope so.

I suggest we inform each other about the steps we are taking and what the results are so we can resolve this problem together.

So far I don't like this new Mazda which is my first....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well took Mazda 6 back to dealership yesterday and road tested with a Mazda service mechanic. He felt the resonating that comes and goes at 65-80 mph. He commented that it feels like its coming from the axle. Left the 6 with dealership over night and got myself a 2016 Ford Fiesta loaner...awesome

Got a call today from service manager and turns out the axles on 2016 6 (bought mine mid november 2015) are a new design to, get this, reduce vibration :D The dealership found this out from Mazda. The axles are not performing as Mazda had hoped, at least in my case they are not.

Left and right axles on the way; there is only 1 left or right axle (7 of the opposite side) at the mazda parts source in Chicago. I hope I'm lucky to get both left/right axles tomorrow. The replacement axles are a new part number. If I don't get both tomorrow it will be a 1 week wait for them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the update Xwired!

I will call my dealership soon when I tested more. My problem is that I'm living on a 45 minutes drive from the highway so I can't squeeze that easily in my schedule.

Will you let us know what the results of the axle-exchange are?

Rob

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'm curious about this topic as I've had a slight vibration on my 14 GT since I've bought the car. I've always attributed it to a lower end vehicle with low profile tires (I came from a Lexus). I'm curious if the axles fix it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
92 Posts
Aw shoot, they can only get 1 axle today so I won't be getting this fixed til next Wednesday. I'll update after the swap.
I've been suffering since day one, changed and replaced everything related you can imagine, bearings, struts, lower control arms, tyres, wheels and finally CV axles. I can say that after replacing the CV axles, the drive felt a bit better especially the paddle. when I done the axles, I didn't get the perfect feeling of balance, until I found out that tyres had some cracks inside. Got new Michelin Primacy 3, and now I can say that I managed to eliminate the vibration to its minimum but it's not completely gone.

I have the feeling it will comeback after the tyres start wearing.................... As one daft bloke suggested, I may need to sell the car to get rid of this issue :grin2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok the axle swap did not mitigate the resonating vibration at 60-80mph. It still comes every 10-15 secs, lasts about 10-20 secs. Back to dealership next week to see whats next. The axle swap did get rid of the loss of traction sensation going around corners at 30-35 mph. Or at least it feels much better cornering in roundabouts.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts