Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I am a new Mazda 6 owner - about 3 weeks. Got a brand new 2016 Mazda 6 GT in Toronto Canada. I have the stock 19" alloy wheels - 225-45R19 is the size I believe. I only have 4000km on it currently.

I have been having this vibration issue, at or above highway speeds being felt mostly around the gas pedal, floor and seat. I feel the vibration and the worst thing is... my driver's side mirror also shakes, which is super annoying. I have already took it to the dealer twice to get it balanced. The latest balancing job (road force balanced) has reduced the vibration significantly, but I still feel the vibration on my knees and the mirror still vibrates as well.

The dealer says they'll open a case with Mazda Canada and try to fix it and wants me to bring it in so that their manager can have a test drive on it this Thursday.

Is anyone else having this vibration issue on their 2015/2016 Mazda 6? Resolved it? Could there be something else that might be causing this?

I love everything else about the car... just such a hassle to be dealing with this on a new car.

Cheers,

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi folks,

I am a new Mazda 6 owner - about 3 weeks. Got a brand new 2016 Mazda 6 GT in Toronto Canada. I have the stock 19" alloy wheels - 225-45R19 is the size I believe. I only have 4000km on it currently.

I have been having this vibration issue, at or above highway speeds being felt mostly around the gas pedal, floor and seat. I feel the vibration and the worst thing is... my driver's side mirror also shakes, which is super annoying. I have already took it to the dealer twice to get it balanced. The latest balancing job (road force balanced) has reduced the vibration significantly, but I still feel the vibration on my knees and the mirror still vibrates as well.

The dealer says they'll open a case with Mazda Canada and try to fix it and wants me to bring it in so that their manager can have a test drive on it this Thursday.

Is anyone else having this vibration issue on their 2015/2016 Mazda 6? Resolved it? Could there be something else that might be causing this?

I love everything else about the car... just such a hassle to be dealing with this on a new car.

Cheers,

I seem to be having a similar problem with my new '16 GT in Florida. I notice a bit of a vibration at highway speeds - although not all of the time. I can see the visor shaking a little bit and can feel it in the steering wheel a bit as well as in the seat. I also had the wheels rebalanced just as you did and I don't think it made any real difference. I am planning to call the dealership back and see what the next course of action is. Please update your post as you find out more and I will do the same.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I went into test drive it with the Service Manager. He told me facts about how drivers side doors are used 380% more than passenger side doors and etc. When he test drove it, he said he couldn't feel anything besides the road - which is weird because other mechanic that test drove it said they could feel it. He ended up road force balancing it again and we took it out for a test drive - I drove. Seemed to have felt better, but I am not sure... Drove it into work this morning and I still feel it with my side mirror shaking.

I'll drive it for a bit longer and if it persists, I'll request a test drive in a different 2016 GT as well as try different set of wheels.

Let me know how yours goes.

·
Super Moderator
16,822 Posts
Unfortunately it might have to do with the garbage Dunlop tires that are OEM on our cars. If an alignment doesn't settle things down, then it's probably in the tires. Might want to have them make sure they're all balanced properly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
So I went into test drive it with the Service Manager. He told me facts about how drivers side doors are used 380% more than passenger side doors and etc. When he test drove it, he said he couldn't feel anything besides the road - which is weird because other mechanic that test drove it said they could feel it. He ended up road force balancing it again and we took it out for a test drive - I drove. Seemed to have felt better, but I am not sure... Drove it into work this morning and I still feel it with my side mirror shaking.

I'll drive it for a bit longer and if it persists, I'll request a test drive in a different 2016 GT as well as try different set of wheels.

Let me know how yours goes.
After the dealership "force balanced" the wheels (spun them at higher RPM for the balancing process), I drove the car over about 50 miles of highway driving at about 72 MPH. A good chunk of this was recently re-paved roadway and should be quite smooth as as result. I was disappointed to still notice the vibration though. Oddly it wasn't noticeable all of the time, but was there more than half of the time. I could feel it in the steering while as kind of a slight jiggling, and could feel it in my left leg which was resting on the dead pedal. I could also see the driver's side sun visor vibrating slightly. I drove the exact same route the day before in my old 1997 Civic and did not notice any vibration over the same roads. Of course the Civic has smaller, higher profile tires which absorb more impact, but something still seems wrong. I have also driven my wife's 2012 Mazda 3 which has a slightly firmer suspension than the 6 and did not notice any vibration at all.

I took the car back to the dealer today and they are going to look in their Mazda service issues database to see if they can come up with any ideas. Of course they have mentioned several times about the 19" tires and their lower profile, but that should transmit more road surface "feel" rather than vibration.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Update.

Ok, so the dealer service department claimed they were able to confirm the vibration issue after another test drive. Of course, this is the same place that said they were able to confirm the problem before and that they had fixed it by force balancing the tires. Anyway, they stated they took all 4 wheels off the car and put on the wheels/tires of another Mazda 6 from the lot, and that fixed the vibration issue. They then tried swapping out just the front wheels/tires, and then just the back ones - but under both of these configurations the vibration was present. They did not try individual replacements, only the whole set and then pairs.

They are now filling out paperwork to request a new set of all four tires from Mazda! I asked if it could be an imperfection in one or more of the rims rather than the tires but they did not seem to feel that would be the case. They seemed to think it had to do with the car having sat on the lot for too long - creating a flat area that was not working itself out for some reason. Personally, I find it unlikely that a few hundred miles in 85+ temps wouldn't flex the belts back into shape - but hey, what do I know?

Once the new tires come in then I'll take the car back a 3rd time and hope that does the trick. I did "offer" to let them put on tires they had in stock (like maybe some Michelins) rather than the Dunlops, but that did not go to far. They said it would be up to Mazda to decide - which I am sure means more Dunlops.

I'll update again after the tires have been swapped.

On a side note, I can see the white leather/upholstery is going to require significant effort over the black - as I could see grey smudges on the armrests on the door and the center console just from the service guys having test driven the car. Guess I will be cleaning that off tonight.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I took my car back to the service center this morning and they replaced all four tires. They claim that the new tires fixed the vibration issue. I'll take the car out on the highway this weekend is see if that is truly the case.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi there. hope they finally fixed it for you. Me also from Toronto. For my future reference, which service location you use?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys,

Sorry for my delayed update. I went back as I still felt vibrations. The service manager there also said he'll replace all four tires with new Dunlop Sports. He asked Mazda Canada if he can replace it with Yokohama tires, but Mazda refused him. I'm supposed to take the car in on Wednesday as apparently there will be someone from Mazda Canada that is interested on the issue.

The Mazda dealer I'm currently dealing with is Budd's Mazda in Oakville.

I'll keep you guys posted on how things go after Wednesday's swap.

Cheers,

·
Registered
92 Posts
My car is Grand Touring, and I used to have 19' rims before I replaced them with 17' rims in pursuit of comfort. When I had them, I remember they had a bit of vibration when I drove the car out of the dealer as new. After a while, I went to balance them with an on-the-car balancing machine (http://www.fasep.com/english/wheel_balancers/strobo.asp#ver), because I believe it's the best way to balance sort of big rims (Tyre agents still loathe these machines). Tyres afterwards were perfect and no shaking whatsoever. Now, I have Toyo C1S on the rims and they vibrate a little, but I noticed the vibration started disappearing after they started wearing.

You may give it a try with the on-the-car balancing or what they call it high-speed balancing, and see if that solves your issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My car is Grand Touring, and I used to have 19' rims before I replaced them with 17' rims in pursuit of comfort. When I had them, I remember they had a bit of vibration when I drove the car out of the dealer as new. After a while, I went to balance them with an on-the-car balancing machine (http://www.fasep.com/english/wheel_balancers/strobo.asp#ver), because I believe it's the best way to balance sort of big rims (Tyre agents still loathe these machines). Tyres afterwards were perfect and no shaking whatsoever. Now, I have Toyo C1S on the rims and they vibrate a little, but I noticed the vibration started disappearing after they started wearing.

You may give it a try with the on-the-car balancing or what they call it high-speed balancing, and see if that solves your issue.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I believe the force balance that they did at the dealership for me is what you are referring to. They balanced the tires with load at higher speed. They also had some way of determining the optimal location to place each wheel/tire on the car (front/back/left/right). That seemed to help a little with the vibration but it did not did not completely get rid of it. They put four new tires on last week but I have not had a chance to take the car on the highway yet. I will be doing that on Monday for a 400 mile round trip, so I will soon know if the new tires solved the problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the car back - it's much smooth than before... but still feel it and the mirror still shakes... :(

They told me they replaced all four tires, replaced disc rotors (warped). The manager said below 100kph is very smooth, but feels vibrations at 113 then mirror shakes hard at 135. Seems like Mazda Canada haven't seen the issue yet... that apparently has some wait times of weeks.

I'm about to start advertising to my friend how crappy of a car this is. Very frustrated.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I would definitely be upset as well, a new car should not vibrate and shake when driving highway speeds.

If the dealer can't seem to fix the issue, after telling you twice now that they have, I would call Mazda Corp. to tell them of the issue and see if they'll open a case for you.

I wouldn't let this one go until the issue is fixed. Something is obviously causing the issue, and it's not an easy or cheap fix, as the dealer has tried the cheapest ways to fix the situation to no luck.

I would have an independent shop that would be willing to test drive it and give you their diagnosis (for free or a small charge), maybe they'll be more truthful w/ their findings...then at least you could go back to the dealer giving them your findings.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Horn17 - I did call Mazda Canada customer relations. All they did was direct me to the dealer and told me to deal with them. The dealer is willing to fix, just the timing and now we are at the point where they want Mazda Canada mechanic to test drive, but they are not available...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just leased a 2015 Mazda 6 with 54 miles on the odometer. From day one I have had a vibrating driver's side and rear view mirror, which I also feel in the seat and steering wheel. I now have 1,100 miles on the car. It has been back to the dealership twice, once to balance the wheels and again to change the wheels and tires, which they took from another 2015 Mazda on the lot. The problem, if anything has gotten worse. It doesn't matter if I am on the highway or local roads with a speed limit of 45 mph. The dealer has no solution and has kicked it up to Mazda regional. Their regional rep is coming down tomorrow to try and resolve the problem. I had a BMW a number of years ago with the same problem. Turned out the tire tread design was the problem. I am trying to get Mazda to put a different tire on the car, but am not sure if it will solve the issue or if Mazda will pay for new tires.

Delray Beach, FL

·
Registered
24 Posts
Got the car back - it's much smooth than before... but still feel it and the mirror still shakes... :(

They told me they replaced all four tires, replaced disc rotors (warped). The manager said below 100kph is very smooth, but feels vibrations at 113 then mirror shakes hard at 135. Seems like Mazda Canada haven't seen the issue yet... that apparently has some wait times of weeks.
I finally got my 6 out on a long highway run after the dealer had replaced all four of the tires on my car (tires only, not the wheels). I put on over 300 miles at speeds of 60-70 mph, and another 50 miles of speeds around 50-55 mph. Unfortunately, about 150 miles of this ended up being in heavy rain so I couldn't tell much with that, but the rest was in good weather over good roads (with some very newly redone areas). I can say that the new tires did make a noticeable difference. What is odd though is that on some road areas the car feels smooth as it should be, yet on other road areas I can still notice a bit of vibration (only at speeds somewhere above 60 mph). This can be on roads that are both clean, newly redone, and seemingly smooth. At this point I am theorizing it has to do with the tires and their size/aspect ratio in conjunction with the suspension in the 6 that create some type of resonance on certain types of roadways. At this point I don't know if I will pursue this further or not, but would be very interested in knowing what comes of your (and anyone else's) efforts to resolve the problem. It would be interesting to drive another 2016 6 with the same wheels/tires over the same roads and see if it behaves the same or not.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So here is an update - the regional rep for Mazda Canada test drove it and found that he can feel vibrations as well.. they test drove it at 110kph. For some reason they are really focused on the tires (I guess they've had complaints), and installed a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. I drove it to work this morning, but still not much improvement... I really think the problem comes from elsewhere in the car. Quite frustrating that it's still there.. but the dealer have been helpful and see what else we can do to get rid of this vibration... :(

·
Premium Member
1,071 Posts
I just skimmed over the thread and didn't see anything about the wheels. Have they tried swapping all 4 wheels with another car on the lot? That would seem like the quickest way to determine if it's something else.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I just skimmed over the thread and didn't see anything about the wheels. Have they tried swapping all 4 wheels with another car on the lot? That would seem like the quickest way to determine if it's something else.

I was thinking this as well, could it be a slightly bent wheel?....I'm guessing they would've figured that out when mounting and balancing though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They have - but due to traffic, we weren't able to take it to the highway speeds we wanted to test at. Didn't figure it would be a big deal since that kind of stuff comes with RoadForce Balancing anyways,

1 - 20 of 68 Posts