Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my 2006 Mazda 6 S with the MazdaSpeed Cat back exhaust system installed by the dealer. I noticed a vibration/buz coming from the dash or right side door at certains rpm's ranging from about 1500 up to about 2000 depending on speed and gear. Usually ocurrs at lower speeds. It seems to be related to the exhaust, but I have no knowledge of the stock set up on my car so I can't blame it entirely on the MazdaSpeed exhaust system. Have any of you experienced this same type problem, maybe with other aftermarket exhaust sytems? Or is it just poor build quality of my particular vehicle? It can be very distracting especially considering I have only 800 miles on my car. I'm beginning to think I made a mistake buying the MazdaSpeed Exhaust and should have gone with something else like a Borla etc. I was trying to eliminate any warranty issues with a factory approved part. The manual transmission may be a better choice as well vs the auto.
-PHS

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Is it because the exhaust is hitting something? Like bumper lip or something like that?

You might want to replace the exhaust hanger with kartboy to reduce the vibration and movement of the exhaust.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a 2005 6i and actually have the magnaflow catback and get a rattle as well. I have linked it back to the sunglass holder rattling because of the exhaust, I don't know why it does it but its def. because of the exhaust, my entire car shakes a tad bit because of the exhaust, nothing bad just noticeable at idle.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
It has take me three trips to my local muffler shop to chase rattles. I've got the MagnaFlow catbacks and the rattles were on the passenger side as well.

On my first visit back, the Y pipe was touching the bottom of the car which caused the vibration to travel all the way up to the passenger door.

On my second visit back, the Y pipe cleared the bottom of the car but it was now making contact with the right rear lower control arm.

On my last visit, my right muffler was making contact with the heat shield which caused a very slight buzz but if the buzz gets any louder, I will resort to removing the heat shield.

Moral of my story is that you might have to go back for a few adjustments if you had your exhaust installed by a shop. My muffler shop advised me that adjusting for rattles was part of the initial install price and further tweeks were at no charge. I'm enjoying the sound of the exhaust much better now that the major rattles and knocks are gone but there was a moment where I thought I made a bad decision. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
my tips for you... aftermarket exhaust hangers are a must to help with rattling noise if you have any. also, if you have things sitting around your car that aren't strapped in or whatnot such as a book in your glove compartment, those are going to vibrate around.

it's always horrible when i finish eating something in a foil wrapper and setting it in my cupholder... the damn things makes this annoying vibrating noise! but the vibrations are worth the amazing tone of the Injen exhaust IMO!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info. I wanted to see if it is normal to have this vibration/noise. My exhaust was installed by the dealer where I bought my car. Unfortunately the dealer is about 5 hours away. I was under the misconception that I had could only buy MazdaSpeed parts through a MazdaSpeed dealer and that these parts had to be installed by a MazdaSpeed Dealer or my warranty might be affected. I now know different. I have the added problem of having to rely on my local mazda dealer to fix these issues even though they didn't install the parts and didn't sell me the car. I've been waiting over a month now for them to get my satellite radio receiver in. This is a part I paid for at the time of purchase, but the selling dealer did not install because they had the wrong part on hand ( I will never buy from this Dealership again). I have a 1998 Chevy Silverado with 130,000 miles on it. I purchased it new and had a Dyna-Flow Exhaust installed. It never has been back to the dealership for anything and is as tight as when new, no rattles, sqeaks, etc. We have had the same experience with all the cars we have owned in the last 10-12 years which include Nissan Maxima, Toyota Sequoia, Mazda Millenia, Ford Explorer ( rode rough as hell). I really like this Mazda 6, but the quality issues should not be happening. I'll have the exhaust checked out by a guy I know and see what it will cost to fix the problem. I don't see the dealer replacing the hangers with aftermarket ones and this may be the best option. I noticed that the factory exhaust ( which I kept) has an additional rubber device just before the Y pipe that is not on the MazdaSpeed exhaust system. I wonder if this should have been installed on the MS system. I will have to do something about the buzz in the dash anyway because even moderate bass causes it to vibrate. I hope theses problems are all that I have to contend with. I plan to install a auto trans cooler/filter and have installed a MS CAI.
Thanks To Everyone,
PHS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.