Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone -- I have been lurking about on the sight for a few months now and felt it was time I started to contribute to the discussion...I only wish my experience that I am going to share was a little more positive.
I have had my speed6 GT with sunroof option for about 2 months and have put 1600 miles on it so far. Modded the air box, rear pass through and changed the oil to full syn at 1000 miles...otherwise it is stock. I have not had any problems at all until my freeway drive today. I decided that the open road ahead looked a little too inviting so I decided to open it up to see what she would do. Everything went fine and the car pulled hard through 4th and 5th shifted at ~6000 for each. When I hit sixth and was nearing 5k (I assume it was 5k as I was looking at the road at this time) and probably 130+MPH I started hearing a loud clicking noise that repeated about 4 or 5 times in a row over the course of about 3 sec. I immediately hit the brakes and slowed down as i was unsure what i might had done. I sounded like it was coming from the passenger side of the car or the top of the car but I am not sure...it was loud though. If I had to give you an analogy it sounded like the seatbelt was caught in the passenger door and was hitting against the outside of the car at high speed. Any thoughts? I would have tried to repeat but traffic was too heavy as the open road had quickly disappeared :). Could it have been something to do with the Sunroof?

Love the car though...do not miss my 2001 Audi s4 at all!!! Especially the jerks in Audi service!!!

ZOOM ZOOM!!!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i'd head straight to the dealer, but leave out some of the details. . .

·
Registered
829 Posts
Could it be knocking/pinging/detonation?

Hi everyone -- I have been lurking about on the sight for a few months now and felt it was time I started to contribute to the discussion...I only wish my experience that I am going to share was a little more positive.
I have had my speed6 GT with sunroof option for about 2 months and have put 1600 miles on it so far. Modded the air box, rear pass through and changed the oil to full syn at 1000 miles...otherwise it is stock. I have not had any problems at all until my freeway drive today. I decided that the open road ahead looked a little too inviting so I decided to open it up to see what she would do. Everything went fine and the car pulled hard through 4th and 5th shifted at ~6000 for each. When I hit sixth and was nearing 5k (I assume it was 5k as I was looking at the road at this time) and probably 130+MPH I started hearing a loud clicking noise that repeated about 4 or 5 times in a row over the course of about 3 sec. I immediately hit the brakes and slowed down as i was unsure what i might had done. I sounded like it was coming from the passenger side of the car or the top of the car but I am not sure...it was loud though. If I had to give you an analogy it sounded like the seatbelt was caught in the passenger door and was hitting against the outside of the car at high speed. Any thoughts? I would have tried to repeat but traffic was too heavy as the open road had quickly disappeared :). Could it have been something to do with the Sunroof?

Love the car though...do not miss my 2001 Audi s4 at all!!! Especially the jerks in Audi service!!!

ZOOM ZOOM!!!
[/b]

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could it be knocking/pinging/detonation?
[/b]

That would have been some loud knocking and the engine was actually growling like a champ when I heard the gound...0 power loss so I dont think so. I did not have the road to duplicate the run at lunch, but did go hard again through 4th and no funny sounds at all this time -- so it makes me think it had something to do with the increased wind ( the original incedent sounded like someone was tapping a key on the passengers window or door)...things that make you go Hmmmmm!

Did I mention I LOVE this car!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
That would have been some loud knocking and the engine was actually growling like a champ when I heard the gound...0 power loss so I dont think so. I did not have the road to duplicate the run at lunch, but did go hard again through 4th and no funny sounds at all this time -- so it makes me think it had something to do with the increased wind ( the original incedent sounded like someone was tapping a key on the passengers window or door)...things that make you go Hmmmmm!

Did I mention I LOVE this car!!!
[/b]

I am willing to bet it is the antenna whipping around at high speeds. I have seen the shadow of mine in the back seat flopping around up there.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am willing to bet it is the antenna whipping around at high speeds. I have seen the shadow of mine in the back seat flopping around up there.
[/b]

That could be as it certainly stopped as soon as I decreased speed...so if it "was" the antenna I probably could live with that, but if its something else that's loose it is just bound to get worse. If I hear it again I will take it straight to the stealership.
BTW before anyone flames this thread...i do not regularly drive that fast, but I had to see what the car was capable of...I mean come on it a mazda"speed" right?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think fastmummy has hit the nail on the head. I have heard a similar sound coming from my antenna going through a laserwash (touchfree car wash) when pulling under the blowers. Like someone is tapping the back window with a ball peen hammer at about 2 times per second.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I can confirm that antenna was your noise. I had the same @115 when we were testing the car on old runway. As soon as I've herd that I slowed down and 20sec after that my brother that was driving behind me came over with smile on his face telling me that my antenna was dancing rumba on my roof.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I can confirm that antenna was your noise. I had the same @115 when we were testing the car on old runway. As soon as I've herd that I slowed down and 20sec after that my brother that was driving behind me came over with smile on his face telling me that my antenna was dancing rumba on my roof.
[/b]
I hate our stupid antenna. Why is it so damn long? I'm gonna go with the cheap stubby since I can't justify paying $75 for the shark fin.

For the Mazdaspeed, Mazda should have had the antenna integrated like my 03.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I hate our stupid antenna. Why is it so damn long? I'm gonna go with the cheap stubby since I can't justify paying $75 for the shark fin.

[/b]
get a stubby S2000 one, alot of guys with the Protege5 do that.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts

[/b]
I do miss the intergrated antenna. The car had a better look to it without the bouncy RC antenna.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone...i am pretty sure that's probably what it was. As usual this forum kicks ass. I will look into getting another type...or i could just slow down (yeah right)

·
Registered
194 Posts
So it's the antenna smacking the back window? (went out to garage and experimented) It smacks perfectly on the middle of the back window by my hand, so I imagine it does at 130+ MPH, at even less speed with a good gust I imagine.

Does it just unscrew?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Just ordered a stubby....

·
Registered
221 Posts
Dont want to piss you guys off too much but our Aussie MPS's have the integrated antenna in the rear window. Wonder why the difference? Maybe you could try and obtain an OS rear window for retrofit. Assuming you're keen enough to spend the money....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
12 Participants
kmh001
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing