Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm a newcomer to this forum. Perhaps this issue came up before.

I purchased a 6 wagon GT 2006 last December. It was one of the dealer's demo, only 19000 kms. I went to the dealership this week to change my winter tires and put back the original 18' wheels with their original all-season Pirelli PZero tires. Back on the highway, I noticed that the tires made a loud whirring noise. Very annoying. More noisy than winter tires! I don't know much about cars but when I look at the tires they still look brand new. They had only 19000 kms when I bought the car. So, I was just wondering if other 2006 owners had a similar noise problem with the original 18' tires on the GT model. If so, what can be done? Is it possible the tires have been fixed backwards or something like that? Or is it that Pirelli tires are simply that noisy? I just wanted to hear from other 6 owners before going back to the dealership to figure that out. I'm looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Cheers - Thierry

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the pirelli PZero on my 08 and they are very noisy too. I think thats just how they all are, mine only had 12,000 miles on them and they were still noisy.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Had the Pirelli Pzero Nero tires as OEM. I didn't think it too noisy, or I am accustomed to that sort of noise already. Those tires ended up getting bald on one side (inner side) of the tread eventually. Have you checked for uneven wear?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I didn't think mine were noisy either. I had two sets of Neros and I was very happy with both of them. One set were the OEM all season Neros, the other set were the summer Neros. But I sold my OEM set after I only put around 15000km on them, so I don't know if they get noisier as they wear.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
some tires get noisy due to feathering. Brush hand lightly across top of tire. Rough back & smooth forward (esp on inner edge for this tire) means feathering wear due to rotation.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=PZero+Nero

These are not directional, so cross rotate all 4 tires to reverse them. Do it every 5k miles, or for op, until "now rough forward " is eliminated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your replies. I checked this out with the dealership and they told me the noise is due to the fact that the inside edge of the tires are more worn than the outside edge, which could be due to bad alignment (or no alignment at all) in the past. I'm trying to get the dealership to change them.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I don't think alignment will fix this. When my front Pirellis got bald on the inner edge (just like you), I got the same replacement tires. (nb. the new tires go in the back, and the old tires from the back get moved up to the front.) I had an alignment check done and it was still within specs, so not much adjusting if any needed to be done. Fast forward many months later, and the same problem appeared again. This was when I still had everything stock.

I replaced all my rims/tires with brand new ones. I then proceeded to change springs, struts, shocks, etc. I see no uneven wear at this point in time.

To make a long story short ... I think stock configuration causes uneven wear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts