Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making this thread for those of us who are are testing the VersaTuner Beta software to discuss things pertaining to our impressions, suggestions, and overall experiences with the product over the coarse of it's development. Andybody who is testing the software has read the agreement and should know what they can and cannot discuss. This is a public discussion and we should all honor our agreement with the company. If you don't know if you should post something or not, I would suggest contacting Steve or Ugnius with VersaTune first.

I'd like to start out with a quick breakdown. I've been working with (not for) VersaTune since the begining of December, and by the begining of January I had my first flash. It was intended simply and solely to correct the MAF sensor for my 3" blow-thru coldpipe, lower my target AFR, and bump the fuel cuts. All I used to flash it was a Tactrix Openport 2.0 cable and a simple runfile tool with a button to flash the custom tune made by steve, and a button to flash a stock tune in case I had to revert back to pull-thru. I communicated with him via email over the next few days (one very late Sunday night in there), and by the 6th version I was roughly tuned. I incedentally had fried my DH at that time and had to wait several weeks for MSD to repair and return it to me.

Let that be rule number one when using VersaTuner: Do not start the vehicle with a DH plugged into the obd2 port imediately after loading a new flash. I've been told that is a common occurance with the AP as well, so it seems pretty much across the board.

So I finally got the DH back and took some logs and sent them off to Steve for some fine tuning. And now I'm running the latest and greatest that I got via Beta1.0.1. I have my own tune in the database which is just a fine tuned version of what all he did to get my car running with my MAF the way it is. Nothing special beyond that AFAIK, as compared to the other tune(s) in the database. The car runs great! It is so much smoother than before, and that's with me having full mounts, and most of them are 95 duro. I've only got ~40 miles on the tune, so I haven't driven it very hard yet. The bad news is my alternator is failing. Dominick Iragge is helping me out in that realm ;), but in the meantime I gotta jump from time to time (and it's getting worse). So, I might have to go ahead with the big turbo, since I'll have the stocker out anyway. So VersaTune just might have some BT maps available in the database when it's released to the public ;) Don't quote me on that though.

The interface looks sweet! Seems like it will be very easy to use and get acustomed to as the software develops. For those not in the club, Beta1 only has a handful of features. We cannot take logs, we cannot view any parameters, we cannot view live parameters, we cannot customise anything. We can search the database, load VersaTuner to the car, flash, and read their Tuning Guide. That's it, so don't be asking what the map screens look like, or what they can and cannot adjust, or anything like that. All that will come in the future.

I like the Tuning Guide. There's a typo or two, but that's no big deal. If I can make the time, I was going to try to list any I see for them to correct.

Anyway, if you have it and want to talk about it, do it here.

Reactions: jmhinkle

·
Registered
959 Posts
I should have my Tactrix 2.0 cable in next week, and the car is going to be nearly stone stock for about a month and then I am going with a DNP mani, PTP SST, PTP WG actuator, and the Grimspeed solnoid.

Should be a pretty common setup and hopefully we will get a flash for it.

Thanks for the heads up on the DH thing, its nice to know that lol.

Nice work on the Iraggi alternator, those are badass.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
subscribing...

this'll be a fun one to watch :)

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (Corpus_Speed6 @ Feb 19 2010, 09:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1638328
I should have my Tactrix 2.0 cable in next week, and the car is going to be nearly stone stock for about a month and then I am going with a DNP mani, PTP SST, PTP WG actuator, and the Grimspeed solnoid.

Should be a pretty common setup and hopefully we will get a flash for it.

Thanks for the heads up on the DH thing, its nice to know that lol.

Nice work on the Iraggi alternator, those are badass.[/b]
That's what this thread is mostly for. Passing on tips and tricks, not only for us users, but also for VersaTune to have a collected form of limited feedback. Of coarse sensitive issues need to be kept to private conversations with the company. If it's serious enough, they can relay the message to the rest of the testers via email.

Once I get the HO Alt in and installed, that'll get it's own thread. Going with some 0 gauge wire. I'll finally get to turn my system up past a quarter way without it clipping, lol.

BTW, I also suggest using the latest version of the software sent out, labled Beta1.0.1. Discard the first version sent out. Trust me.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
can you comment on the ATR tunign guide vs this one in terms of quality and technical discussion?

Reactions: dougefresh_

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't read Cobbs, so not really. I will say that this one is very professionally put together and has alot of good information.

·
Registered
959 Posts
The guide seems incomplete at this point, but yes it does have some good tuning info. Ultimately though, tuning isnt for people who need a guide to be able to tune.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I too am fortunate enough to be Beta testing Versatuner, but on a Euro spec 6 MPS.

So far I am very impressed with the software and whilst only on the US base map I am already very happy with the increased HP (Euro spec MPS's stock 260HP to US 274HP). I look forward to trying the next map, but intend to do some logging and possibly a dyno run to check the figures. The increase in HP is certainly noticeable at the upper end of the rev range.

This is certainly a step in the right direction for non US spec Mazdaspeed (MPS) owners and kicks dirt in the face of the companies unwilling to provide a (sensible priced) package for non US market.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (Corpus_Speed6 @ Feb 21 2010, 02:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1638552
The guide seems incomplete at this point, but yes it does have some good tuning info. Ultimately though, tuning isnt for people who need a guide to be able to tune.[/b]
True as this may seem, tuning this car is going to be about 10 levels higher than tuning my old evo viii. DI is a whole different animal. A master tuner of hondas, mitsubishis, and subarus, is still going to need some form of guidance when it comes to this ecu IMO.

·
Registered
295 Posts
ive also been beta testing versatune. to sum it all up, i am in love with it. Very simple and user friendly. Also the groupd of guys creating this are wonderful, very helpful and will answer any questions you have in a pretty short amount of time. I also and very pleased with the latest map although i sure wish i could dyno or log at this time. I am currently running stock

·
Registered
51 Posts
well car still starts lol - very impressed at output & support so far - not really gonna rock anyones boat as yet in America for gain I suspect( as you have a wealth of other products) - BUT in the U.k it's amazing and works so well- all the best to Steve & Ugnius for the time and effort - well done guy's!

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What turbo is that?

·
Registered
30 Posts
What mods do you have at the moment, car sounds great!

·
Registered
295 Posts
after the stage 1 map, i was very impressed when i did my first wot run, but after a week of driving it doesnt seem as fast anymore, i must have gotten used to it haha

·
Registered
295 Posts
how many of you fellow testers have data logging capabilities?? i wish to use the 93 map but i dont have logging capabilities

·
Registered
15 Posts
how many of you fellow testers have data logging capabilities?? i wish to use the 93 map but i dont have logging capabilities
Just flashed to this new map and will do some logging over the next couple of days, once the trims have adjusted to suit. So far very impressed with the simplicity of the package as it has all the hallmarks of a quality product, so will be signing up for the full package when it comes available.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What software do you use for datalogging ? Did some logging today with ScanXL and sent to Steve but seems a poor application for logging, logs in every two seconds or so. Latest 93oct works very well with our 3"dp and exhaust and Fujita cai.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts