Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So there's the scheme for the VEI gauge.

I've searched and searched for how tooos and even read that one car domain one. But they all go in depth about the grommet and tapping the vac but all lack the wiring info or just briefly mention it.

Since over 20 VEI gauges shipped from the GB I thought it would be helpful for me and everyone else to get some concrete answers to the wiring. I know there are about 10 others who before the GB already installed one, help please. I know this isn't uber tough, just want to know what I'm getting into so I dont have a headache trying to guess at the time of install.

Just give all possibilities:

GREEN: Lights? Can these be from the dimming switch if so which wire, some where else to get it? Any other options for it?
RED: Could this be the typical cig lighter fuse or is that the green wire? If you dont want to tap the fuse which color is the wire for the cig lighter?
BLACK: No answers needed

Thanks, I hate working with wiring :goon:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
for the wiring, i plan on running all three to the radio harness at the radio.
Green: "1E" Illumination
Red: "1R" 12V ACC
Black: "1W" Ground

be sure to test all wires with a digital multimeter.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i plan on tapping to the wires about three inches back from the plug. no solder here, not really needed.

to tap: use side cutting wire strippers to expose wire, use 90 degree pick to create a pass through the wire, wrap inserted wire through pass through and around radio wire, wrap with scotch +33 tape. repeat for other two wires.

this thread has an example of the process. http://prism.troy.edu/~koneda/amp_install/...amp_install.htm

oh, i've got some 18 gauge primary wire laying around that i'll use to extend the existing wires out of the VEI gauge.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Black: "1W" Ground
[/b]

That would be very nice :yesnod: and clean too.

Since I'm putting my pod to the left of the driver I'm thinking in the area of the the switches and fuse box. If I can get away with removing less the better.

Thanks for the insight I bet alot of people will use the radio.

Who knows the color of the master parking light wire? I'd love to tap that (green) and use the ability for 2 brightness settings. I assume it goes from the selector on the steering column through the grommet with the rest of the wires? And for the red I'd love to simply use the fuse box for ease.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
if you use the illumination wire in the radio harness the gauge should dim (when lights are on) with the rocker switch that controls the interiors. i haven't tried this yet, but the radio dims with the switch.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you use the illumination wire in the radio harness the gauge should dim (when lights are on) with the rocker switch that controls the interiors. i haven't tried this yet, but the radio dims with the switch.
[/b]
The GREEN wire to me doesn't seem to serve that purpose according to VEI's doc here: http://www.veisystems.com/docs/Instructions-VBM-M.pdf (goto the bottom of the operations table at the bottom of the first page)

It just senses when what it's connected to powers up. Thus when it powers up it then uses brightness setting #2 and not #1.

I just realized isn't there a headlight fuse in there as well? Technically then we would simply need to put the GREEN to the headlight fuse and the RED to the cig lighter since it's always on with ignition.

Does this seem correct?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
there are several ways to wire it up; no single best or only way. i'm opting for the aforementioned process for easy of running all wires to one location.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do here we go:
http://www.newchicken.com/Portal/dl_showal...sub_name=Others

This I found searching, it's a wiring diagram for the entire car. Navigate through it to Exterior lights and look at: va177318.pdf

So here's what I've discovered in my rookie electronic diagraming mind:

(Between stick selector and the auto off module)
Red/White wire right off the light control stick = Parking lights????!!?

(After the autooff module and before the main fuse box)
Brown/Red - Parking lights (possibly our best bet, where's the autooff light module though?)

(After the main fuse box to the lights)
Light Green/Black - Parking lights

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Figured out a nice clean way

Just as I thought green identifies when the lights are turned on for the car. Being that brightness level 1 seems ideal this wires becomes useless. If you dont attach it to anything I think your setting would be the brightness 1 setting, brightness 2 would never be activated since it's it only goes on when green has current.

So the way I wired it is:
green - One of the two #15cigg fuses (replicates the headlights being on)
red - Other of the two #15 cigg fuses (main power source)

instead of rigging it by slipping the wire into the fuse slot I bought these fuse splitters for the mini size:

(when doing this buy #15 mini fuses since the wierd oem ones wont fit the bottom port the normal function). Then for the top (the guage's wiring) I used a #5 fuse. The splitter maxes out at 10amp for the add on accesory so the cigg lighter is still okay

They barely fit under the little panel cover but defiantly a clean approach. And heck the gauge gets its own fusing.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Has anyone found a diagram showing the pin/wire details for the headlight harness?? I hooked up my gauge with the 12v switched from a spare place in the kick panel fuse box, but i would love to know which wire on the headlight harness carries the headlight on signal so i can tap it. I found in a search that the 03-05 6's had a dark green/red wire coming from the gauge dimmer switch that carried the signal as well, but the thread was kinda bare. Thanks!

BTW idle vac at 21-22, 17-18 with the AC compressor on. Boosting to 15 in 1st, 16 in the others with spikes to 17/18. Tapers to 8-10 at redline in second (IIRC).

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
If your looking for a dimming source use the light for the lighter in the ash tray, it illuminates with your lights and is easilt accessed if your mounting in the center console, if your doing the drivers side left most vent this would not be convenient.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I am doing the driver's side left defrost vent, but I think I'll tap the radio anyway...

Today while trying to test the pins in the headlight harness i messed something up and now my radio doesn't illuminate and the headlight leveler is dead. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. I'm sure it's just blown fuses, but it's annoying all the same.

Sadly enough, I do have an engineering degree, lol...it's just bloody hard without a diagram, walk through or other cheater method.

Any further help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I am doing the driver's side left defrost vent, but I think I'll tap the radio anyway...

Today while trying to test the pins in the headlight harness i messed something up and now my radio doesn't illuminate and the headlight leveler is dead. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. I'm sure it's just blown fuses, but it's annoying all the same.

Sadly enough, I do have an engineering degree, lol...it's just bloody hard without a diagram, walk through or other cheater method.

Any further help is appreciated.[/b]
Thanks to Spoolin6 and DMZadony I've got things working pretty close to normal. The only problem left is that I now have a constant 12v at the headligh switch so they are always on until i shut the car off and the 30 second timer kills them. Spoolin6 got me the pin out for his headlight stalk harness, but his is an 8/05 and mine is a 1/06 and some of the colors and pins arent exact. If anyone with an 06 built January or later wants to do me a huge favor and snap a quick pic of the harness I would be really grateful.

I hate that this has been such a headache, guess I'll just get a multimeter on it tomorrow and try to figure it out again.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Question for the radio harness setup - I assume I'll need to remove the center console and pull the radio? Is there a thread for a how-to on this? I don't want to start snapping off plastic clips on a car with no rattles... :sarc:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Black: "1W" Ground[/b]
Sorry, but that did not work at all - after three and a half frigging hours trying to hook all this crap up. :irate: Can someone speak from experience how they ended up wiring their guage?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts