Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday, Nov 5th sound?

Now since we're essentially planning a meet that involves 90% driving (not racing *ehem* :)) and 10% socializing, we need to plan a route that will take us somewhere scenic and that will keep us engaged in a relaxed drive for about three hours or so, with a nice hour-long food break in between.

So, I thought I'd pitch the idea out to the masses early so we can get all our ideas and schedule constraints dealt with in good time.

With that said, let me be the first to suggest a route. How about a nice drive up to Whistler and then back again?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Whistler would be fun, also harrison but I would perfer whistler.

If I could propose a date I would suggest Sept 5th or Sept. 5th and maybe Sept. 5th would work. those are the only sundays I have off.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I probably won't make this one. Sundays are pretty hard during hockey season. My only free dates are Saturdays - October 14 or Nov. 4th. Whistler sounds like a nice drive.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Nov 5th works for me

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Either day that weekend is good for me.

·
Registered
420 Posts
So instead of going all the way into Whistler Village what if we stopped on the side of the road somewhere and set up some BBQ's and have a weiner roast before we head back down the mountain??

:ring:

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm definitely in for a BBQ. Heck, I'd BBQ my breakfast, lunch and dinner if I could.

Anyone familiar with the Whistler area? I've never been there myself.

I'd like to see if we can find a nice scenic park somewhere in/near Whistler... throw a few dogs on the grill, chow down, and then head back towards YVR, that'll be cool.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Whistler cruise is good but with the construction going around on the sea to sky there might not be any zoom zoom. There might be rock blasting so you might have to wait 15 minutes just parked on the road.

Garibaldi Park entrance is just outside of Whistler. I haven't been in that park yet.

Porteau Cove just before Squamish is a nice place to chow down and might even see scuba divers heading in. Also the weather getting cold so who knows it might be snowing in november. I sure hope it does. :)

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Hmm...Porteau Cove is a good idea actually. Won't be as cold. I just heard that Whistler already has snow.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm... interesting. I looked Porteau Cove up and it seems just a bit further than Cypress. I think it won't be much of a drive in that case. How about we drive a bit further to Squamish?

·
Registered
392 Posts
There is Brandywine Falls. It' pretty nice and there is a gravel parking area.

Directions:
Located between Squamish and Whistler along Highway 99. From Squamish, drive north along Highway 99 for about 40 km to the park (which if not signed, is about 1 km after the railroad tracks) or about 13 km south of Whistler. It's about a 400m walk to the viewing deck from the parking lot.

Here is a link to the website.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sounds like fun no matter where the drive will be, but I'm not sure if that's a good weekend for me. I'll know better when we get closer to Nov. 5th.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Mark it on your calender and work your month around it, ;)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's no construction during the weekends. Nov 5th looks ok to me.

Porteau Cove might be a lil windy since it's right at the water, Alice lake might be a better choice since it's shelter'd

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
i just came back from whistler today. you were right there's no construction during the weekends but there were some construction speed limit zone in effect on the highway. of course noone really follows the speed limit since there's no construction but there was an odd vehicle that was just moving 50km/hr or less. traffic behind it would back up because of that. some of the passing lane are closed because of the extra gravel and rock from the construction.

i cannot wait until the whole highway is 2 lane each way.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Sunday the 5th is good for me!! Just give me the time and place for the meet and I'll be there!!!
:D

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
:lurk: I'm just going to step on this side of the country for a brief second.

Serge and i planned (mostly Serge) the route for our fall tour. if I may give one small piece of advice it would be this....

If you are creating a route that nobody has ever driven in that particular sequence, I would suggest the lead drive drive the route at least once before taking the group out. More than once we found ourselves driving past next the planned stage in the route, and realize it waaay too late.

That said, i've never driven your roads, and hopefully "YVR" actually knows how to mark roads properly.....unlike us Ontarians...

have a blast, hopefullly yours will be as much of success as ours was, and we wish you all the best on your cruise.

Drive safe, yet have fun!

PS please take lots of pics...i secretly admire the beauty you guys have been blessed with, and I always wish I were there when I see your pics.

CLaman

:lurk:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yeah I think we should take alot of pics of the drive too....Maybe have a passenger in a couple of our cars to do it because Haroon doing it while he is driving for the whole trip might be pushing his camera skillz a little!
Also maybe a horseshoe bay or even the sunshine coast trip would be nice in the spring!
http://www.tzoonie.com/photo-gallery/index.htm

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah I think we should take alot of pics of the drive too....Maybe have a passenger in a couple of our cars to do it because Haroon doing it while he is driving for the whole trip might be pushing his camera skillz a little!
Also maybe a horseshoe bay or even the sunshine coast trip would be nice in the spring!
http://www.tzoonie.com/photo-gallery/index.htm
[/b]
Oh oh... I see people eating fresh crab in one of those pics. I need to be there. Where is that?

Well, hopefully my wife will be with me on the fall tour, so I can have her "man" the camera. But, honestly, my camera's seen better days. Its almost 4 years old and almost ready for a burial.

I'm all for a fall tour as well as a spring tour. Lets try to make our fall tour as successfull as the one they just had in Toronto (Chris, kudos to you and the rest for a job well-done).

Lots of people haven't replied to this thread yet, so I'm hoping to hear from more people over the next week or so.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.