Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 6s 5-Speed AT. Mobil 1 5w-20 with a FL-820S every 5,000 miles. The car is in Upstate, NY.

I have 51,000 Hard miles. I drive fast. In the last 1,000 miles I get a loud ticking from the front cylinder head near the front. It goes away after 30 seconds from a overnight cold start. It will not return until the car sits for at least 10 hrs.

Do you think this is serious? Is it a worn camshaft, or a leaking lifter? I was thinking about going to 5w-30?

Any suggestions? Any TSB's on this?

Thanks,

Mark.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
How cold of a start? Are we talken 60 or 10? If 10 there isnt probably anything wrong. If 60, you might think about trying an aditive.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just to narrow it down I would try changing the oil and filter again. It sounds like the drainback valve in your oil filter may not be working since the noise is only at cold start. If this goes bad your filter will not be full on startup and it will take longer for the oil system to prime and get oil up to the top of the engine. If it is still present after several starts with a new filter than you have more serious issues.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How cold of a start? Are we talken 60 or 10? If 10 there isnt probably anything wrong. If 60, you might think about trying an aditive.
[/b]
The garage can be 70, and it will do it.

Just to narrow it down I would try changing the oil and filter again. It sounds like the drainback valve in your oil filter may not be working since the noise is only at cold start. If this goes bad your filter will not be full on startup and it will take longer for the oil system to prime and get oil up to the top of the engine. If it is still present after several starts with a new filter than you have more serious issues.
[/b]

Good tip, never thought about that. I'll throw a new one on this weekend.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Just to narrow it down I would try changing the oil and filter again. It sounds like the drainback valve in your oil filter may not be working since the noise is only at cold start. If this goes bad your filter will not be full on startup and it will take longer for the oil system to prime and get oil up to the top of the engine. If it is still present after several starts with a new filter than you have more serious issues.[/b]

Part of the narrowing down the culprit maybe checking your engine compression. You said your valves might be a suspect? Well, this test will give you some important info. However, I don't konw what our 3.0 V6 engine's compression is suppose to be. If anybody knows, I like to find out myself w/o having to buy a shop manual.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My ford truck does the same thing after its been sitting abit 2 nights or so. But it goes away shortly after its cranked. Its done it over a year and i have not paid it anymind. Not sayin you shouldnt by anymeans tho.

·
Registered
12 Posts
After having a couple friends listen to it I'm thinking my noise is exhaust related. It sounds like my old chevy pickup with a cracked exhaust manifold. However the noise on my 6 goes away after about 15 or 20 seconds. Is it possible that a gasket expands when it warms up and seals up the leak? Its defintely on the front of the engine. My cats were changed for newer models by the dealer under warranty for the sulfer smell problem, they changed some stuff up front but I dont remember if they took the manifolds off. I'll see if I can find anything I can snug up this weekend.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Compression on our V6 is 10:1, the 2.3 4cyl is around 9.5:1.

Paul

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well my problem is solved it was a loose exhaust manifold. I finally got a chance to look at it while it was cold and two of the manifold nuts were finger loose. Thanks Mazda dealer. The surpising thing is that it wasnt leaking all the time.

·
Registered
734 Posts
it didnt leak all the time because once it got hot it would swell and close up the gap.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Compression on our V6 is 10:1, the 2.3 4cyl is around 9.5:1.

Paul[/b]
this isnt the compression he's looking for. he's looking for the PSI compression for each individual cylinder. i dont know the exact number, but i'm willing to bet its around 190-200PSI

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
13 Participants
2fast4u
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing