Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone who ever owned an MX6 LS with the 2.5L V6 will recall that it had nasty sounding valve clatter at first start-up, when the engine was cold. Well, my 6 i has that same clatter, only it sounds worse. After a few seconds of running, the rpm's drop to ~1800 and it smoothes out. Im just wondering if anyone else has the same clatter?

I'll definitely take it in when I get back from my road trip Thursday. Other than the noise, its a strong runner; 1400 effortless miles in 10 days.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Replying to Topic 'valve clatter at start-up from the 2.3L'

A lot of pre 99 Miata do the same thing. Try syn oil or switch to a lower viscosity dino oil. Mobile 1 solved it in my 95 Miata.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Yes, I have it too, especially when it's cold outside. I had the same with my old 626, I think it's a Mazda thingie. It's not a sexy sound, but when you get used to it being there, it's nothing to worry about. Mazda's engines have the longest wear life of all man made car engines...:D

·
Registered
158 Posts

If it's kind of a tapping noise, it's probably the Hydraulic Lash Adjusters. Mazdas have always had problems with the HLAs tapping on startup.

My 89 626 has been doing this for at least the last 60k miles and still runs fine. I found that using that using the mazda oil filter meant for 6 cylinder engines on the 2.2L I4 helps quite a bit (the only difference is the length of the filter). I've heard that switching to a heavier oil can help, but I don't know about the new 2.3L.

·
Registered
514 Posts

It's all about the Marvel Mystery Oil. Just use it once.

-Alt

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

It's not recommended to use engine treatment stuff on modern engines. You could end up with serious problems, like too high empty revs...

Don't know about that Marvel stuff, but there are many similar products that is supposed to fix these things...Slick50 etc.

Wouldn't use any of 'em on my 6...

·
Registered
514 Posts

Marvel's been around longer than those other additives... basically the other crap out there has been proven to do nothing. Marvel actually works, and is continually being used on high-performance vehicles with user reviews always being positive. That said, I do agree with your statement about modern engines. I should have been more prudent with my comment as it really wasn't meant to be advice for this guy. In my opinion, any car under warranty should be taken into the dealership if sounds that are "out of the ordinary" are being produced.

-Alt

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Originally posted by mpulse1
I've heard that switching to a heavier oil can help, but I don't know about the new 2.3L.[/b]
You need a thiner oil. Thicker will only increase the problem. For those in extreme cold areas I really recomend a change over to Syn oil. Set a quart of each outside over night and then try to pour it, you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Originally posted by LBJay

I've heard that switching to a heavier oil can help, but I don't know about the new 2.3L.[/b]
You need a thiner oil. Thicker will only increase the problem. For those in extreme cold areas I really recomend a change over to Syn oil. Set a quart of each outside over night and then try to pour it, you'll see what I mean.[/b][/quote]

Actually it's probably been 70k miles with the HLA tap noise, but anyway. Sometimes it's there sometimes it's not. As long as it goes away within the first couple minutes of starting up I'm not too worried.

My only experience with this was switching from 10W-40 to 10W-30 and it didn't seem to help any. I didn't want to switch to synthetic because the engine was already at 120k. The most improvement was seen by using the larger oil filter. This is probably because it lowered the pressure drop across the filter, so the oil pump had more pressure to force oil into the HLAs. The reason I had heard for using a thicker oil was that because of its higher viscosity it would be pumped at a higher pressure. Not sure if this is right, but I didn't take the advice anyway.

That said, Alt is right. Take it into the dealership and get them to fix it. This shouldn't be happening on a brand new engine.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

As long as it goes away within the first couple minutes of starting up I'm not too worried..[/b]
Actually, Mazda service manuals say that as long as it goes away as the engine warms, it is normal. Which it is. Just anoying.

·
Registered
514 Posts

My Z does exactly the same thing... doesn't bother me. I just don't run the engine hard (keep it below 3000 RPM and lay off the high throttle positions due to low oil flow).

Just be smart about how you drive your car when it's cold and it shouldn't present a problem.

-Alt

·
Registered
136 Posts

I complained about this noise too, and it only happens the engine is cold.
The Dealer said it was just the automatic self adjusting tappets, and there was nothing to worry about.
Yeah right, tell my friends who think the car is a dud cause of this noise. A brand new car should not make such a sound, and I am disappointed.:(

·
Registered
322 Posts

Sounds dodgy. Does synthetic oil sort it out? What is the pros and cons of synthetic oils anyways? Would it be a good thing at my 1000k service to get them to swap the oil out for mobil1 or something?

-- Rainchild

·
Registered
158 Posts

Sounds dodgy, but as LBJay and Alt have pointed out it's quite normal and not limited to Mazdas. I've got 190k miles on an engine that's been doing it for at least 70k miles (not sure about before that because it was my dad's car and he never mentioned it).

·
Registered
514 Posts

If the tappets are self-adjusting (like Bimmer's) then the sound *shouldn't* be there. Sounds like the dealer shot themselves in the foot. Try another dealer maybe? I'd also try another car with the same engine when cold... see if the sound isn't there. if it isn't, ask for a new cylinder head.

-Alt

1 - 15 of 15 Posts