Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 Mazda 6 has been giving me major shift shock upon depressing the pedal to pass on the highway. It bangs so loud it sounds like nothing I've ever heard before(scary loud). Took into dealer knowing about the tsb on this problem. Was told the valve body has to be replaced and warranty is out. Car has 45,000 miles on it. Mazda will do nothing for me and cost is $1800. Should I have it fixed or get a new car. Will they find more wrong with it when getting in there? Any help or input from anyone else who had this problem fixed would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I'd start with the stupid, cheap route. Change the fluid with a quality fluid such as Redline or Mobil1. Double check which fluid yours needs - it's marked on the dipstick. If it's a 3.0, it's almost certainly the Toyota T-IV fluid. If so, 'D4' is the Redline fluid you want. You'd have to double-check which Mobil1.

It may be a waste of time and your tranny may truly be shot, but for $45 or so it's worth finding out. Could even be that someone has put the wrong fluid -Mercon- into it and that is the root of the problem.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just got a new warranty card in the mail with my emmissions and tranny info. I am pretty sure it says AT valve body/TCM 7 years/70K miles. I will look again to verify and post a pic of the card.

DJ

·
Registered
89 Posts
Here is a pic of the new warranty card I received. It says AT control valve assembly???

DJ

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have exactly the same problem in an '05 Mazda 6S. Aisin makes the ATX 6 speed transmission. It is known as AW6A-EL. Mazda knows about the problem, see their Technical Service Bulletin 05-016/06. It states "Slippage (engine run up) or shock when depressing the accelerator fully (kick-down) from steady driving in 4th, 5th or 6th gear." Further: "Due to excessive wear to the valve guide hole on modulator valve no. 2 (which controls C2 clutch pressure), the C2 clutch pressure becomes too low. The length of the modulator valve guide has been extended at mass-production." This last statement I read as a design or production flaw. You need a new Control Valve Body (for mine part# AW10-19-750). Retail cost is $1,320, but you can get one from Walker Mazda In WA for $950 plus shipping. Or you can ship yours to Valve Body Rebuilders (email: [email protected]). They quoted $690 plus shipping. Try pressuring Mazda to cover it, this really deserves to be a "hidden recall" if not a full recall. That is what I am doing now. The more of us there are after them, the more likely they will respond, try Customer Assistance 800-222-5500 X 1145. Good luck.

The good news there is a work around. You may have stumbled on it already. Shift manually, particularly 4th - 6th gears. Before accelerating downshift first (one or two gears), then apply as much throttle as you want. Shift normally between 2000 and 3000 rpm when driving casually. This seems to work, but if there is much metal floating around in the ATX you may wind up needing an entire new unit.

Also check the fluid level and color. If you see metal particles on the fluid you wipe off the dipstick, park it, until you can fix it.

When I get a chance I'm posting to NHTSA, random selection of neutral with the engine racing is a hazard, particularly if you need power to avoid an accident, or at all.

·
Banned
538 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 2006 Mazda 6 3.0 ltr 6 speed auto transmission on a wagon @ 31,000 km. The service manager @ Mazda test drove it. They replaced the transmission. He said they change transmissions then they overhaul them later.
Basically a rebuilt tranny was put in. Mine was under warranty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts