Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have this alarm (Audiovox APS996A) and the remote got wet and stopped working. I ordered another remote and now it needs to be programmed. However, I don't have the manual but I downloaded the instructions from their website. Well, they might as well be in Japanesee because I don't understand how to program the stupid thing. First of all, it says to hit the valet switch. So, I don't know which button is the valet button but I tried all of them and nothing. Then, my brother in law says that the valet switch is on the car :headscrat: So, I looked everywhere on the car and I don't see anything, there is nothing about a valet switch in the manual and I searched the forum and didn't find anything about a valet switch on the car. So, anyone have any ideas on how to program this thing or where/what the "valet switch" is?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Edited because i'm a moron.

Ok I'm completely wrong, apparently the Valet Switch disables the alarm system completely because most peopel don't leave thier remotes with the valet. I have no idea where it is in the car.

·
Registered
313 Posts
see now im all confused after that site problem. anyways, if you havent found the valet switch,
try the panel to the left of your clutch, someone said near the fuse panel. that's where my valet button was in my previous car. also someone suggested inside the glove compartment. i never knew how to use it for valet. never trusted valets and i've only used them once.

sidenotes:
when my keyfob wouldnt work i would have to jump in the car asap, press the valet button and turn the car ignition to on to disable the alarm.

and because i remembered another member asking if this is found on the stock m6 w/alarm it's not. this is aftermarket alarms.
also for the m6 if you dont disarm the alarm with the keyfob, unlocking the door with your key disables the alarm. you'll noticed that the lights will flash twice. also locking the car with the key arms the alarm with one flash.

anjyl_99:
anyway you can just go back to bestbuy and ask them to help you out? i dont recall that installing the valet switch was optional/extra. i thought it was standard.

goodluck.

-les

·
Registered
81 Posts
there not refering to the switch in the glovebox to disable the trunk w/the remote are they?

i cant think of anything else in the car...

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
best buy rarely installs the valet switch, or if they do it's connected & bundled up with the alarm brain. i know, with >100 installs @ b2 i did this over, and over again. i only installed the switch exposed to the customer if they requested it.

if the switch isn't in an obvious place, fuse box, dkp, etc, find the brain and see if this switch is even there.

you may need to take it back to b2 & have them add the switch.

·
Registered
313 Posts
there not refering to the switch in the glovebox to disable the trunk w/the remote are they?

i cant think of anything else in the car...
[/b]

nope, its for an aftermarket alarm system. i dont even know if using that trunk disable button would work with an A/M alarm.

the pic that mk706 is the valet button.
thats odd mk706 i always thought those were the basic essentials, like the only components were siren, brain, door sensors, and that valet button.

question for you mk706, what happens when the keyfob is dead, how do you disarm the alarm once you get in?

-les

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
question for you mk706, what happens when the keyfob is dead, how do you disarm the alarm once you get in?
[/b]
well, typically with installs. . . by the time the customer has a problem i'm long gone!

i stopped working at b2 about 4 years ago and after >100 RS installs this was only a problem once or twice & i would wire the valet switch into the fuse box.

i installed it in the dkp on my first install or two, but customers typically didn't like seeing the switch and wouldn't rarely if ever use it.

leaving it up with the brain or in the box/garbage was pretty much business as usual.

·
Registered
313 Posts
lol, ah ok so sometimes you just stuffed in the fuse box rather than drill a hole for it. i was just curious how an alarm would be disabled without a keyfob and valet button.

well hope you get it resolved anjyl_99. we wouldnt want you to park anywhere without your alarm on.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yay!! Success!! That took about a whole two seconds to program. You are all right, the valet switch is from the aftermarket alarm and it was found in the fuse box. I can now feel safe and a little less ghetto having to actually use the key to unlock the doors, who does that anymore??? Thanks gang!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
great glad to hear its working again.

i've used the key once to test out a theory. thats once in like in 6months or so. lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts