Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to use my ashtray to hold my Sirius radio (thanks for the great advice elsewhere in this forum) and will have to move my concealed display module to a new location. It's currently in the ashtray so I can cover it from prying eyes. I'm trying to decide on which of the attached photos would be a better idea, and was wondering if anyone has tried either of these methods.

Option 1: Put the display on top of the instrument cluster and run the wire behind the dash to the console and power it from the cigarette lighter. This would put the display right in the driver's line of sight when needed, but be largely hidden from someone looking in the window.
[attachmentid=15607]

Option 2: Remove the face plate that covers the optional tape deck, cut an opening for the Valentine CDM and run the wires through the back of the HU down to the cigarette light. This option would be the cleanest install I've seen yet but has the greatest number of unknowns for me. Is the space behind the casette tape cover empty in the 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 (w/ Bose Stereo and no OEM Satellite radio)? Is this cover even removeable? I want to be able to replace it in the future, and if I screw it up I want to be able to repair/replace the part easily (>$$$).
[attachmentid=15608]

I'd also love to know if anyone has any feedback on how well these locations work in practice. (BTW these are just Photoshop knockoffs. I haven't tried it either way. Yet)

Here's hoping I don't screw up my first post... :drool:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
there are indicator lights under your proposed mounting location at the cluster.

the area behind the cassette plate is vacant. i'm sure you could always get a new cassette blank in the future.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Well, consider two things.

1. Making it as close to your normal line of sight as possible, so you don't have to look away much. That might not be too feasible.

2. There are some dead space areas in the 6 cockpit. The cassette plate has been mentioned. The map compartment is a good one. The ash tray is a possibility, too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts