Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never really thought about it or have came across with the fact that V6 are only available in the U.S. Anyone know why? just out of curiousity i guess.. :hoho

·
Registered
205 Posts
Reading Topic: V6's in other country

Reason has to do with manufacturing and auto-culture.

Manufacturing-wise, the only factory in the world that assembles the Mazda6 V6 engine is the engine plant in Cleveland OH, USA. So while it's convenient to ship these engines from Cleveland to Flat Rock, MI for US Mazda6 production, it's not really efficient to ship them to Japan or China (the other 2 places of assembly).

Which leads to the other reason, auto-culture. Really only N. America and Australia is interested in a V6 for this vehicle. Fuel efficiency and other factors play a larger role everywhere else.

So Mazda/Ford planned it so that the V6 is only manufactured in the market that wants it. Unfortunately, Australia is the loser here, because it's cars are manufactured in Japan and hence no V6 available, even though a V6 would really fit their market.

·
Registered
205 Posts

That's why I said N. America - to include both Canada and USA. I'm from Canada too!

·
Registered
65 Posts

We pay less than $2/gal for gas while most of the world is paying in the $5-6/gal.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Replying to Topic 'V6's in other country'

Originally posted by wongpres

Which leads to the other reason, auto-culture. Really only N. America and Australia is interested in a V6 for this vehicle. Fuel efficiency and other factors play a larger role everywhere else.[/b]
I don't think Australia has V6 available. Actually, this has always been like this. We call that a North American model. Like in Motocycle, 600cc is only for North American but no where else. Accord in most of the Asian country doesn't have V6. Even with TSX (Euro-Accord) has only 2.4L and our M6 only have 2.3L there.

North American likes RAW POWER. Look at all the domestic car, easily 3.7L 4.5L V6 or V8. If the manufacture don't come up with at least V6 in here, there won't be much of chance to attract people in here. IMO.

:hoho

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Originally posted by wongpres

Reason has to do with manufacturing and auto-culture.

Manufacturing-wise, the only factory in the world that assembles the Mazda6 V6 engine is the engine plant in Cleveland OH, USA. So while it's convenient to ship these engines from Cleveland to Flat Rock, MI for US Mazda6 production, it's not really efficient to ship them to Japan or China (the other 2 places of assembly).

Which leads to the other reason, auto-culture. Really only N. America and Australia is interested in a V6 for this vehicle. Fuel efficiency and other factors play a larger role everywhere else.

So Mazda/Ford planned it so that the V6 is only manufactured in the market that wants it. Unfortunately, Australia is the loser here, because it's cars are manufactured in Japan and hence no V6 available, even though a V6 would really fit their market.[/b]
Well, not so. If you look you will see that Mazda has the 3.0 engine option for the JDM MPV. So if Mazda wanted they could assemble the 6 V6 in Japan. Looking at the number of high performance sedans in Japan I don't think it's a matter of interest either.

It may simply be that with the number of other engine options they need for the foreign markets (other than NA) they simply do not have the manufacturing capability in Japan to add a car like the V6.

Why not import cars from the US? Way too many differences between the JDM/NA cars. Not worth setting up a separate line for the one car, high cost plus the whole built in America thing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

oh.. i see.. i always thought that Japan (or other foreign country) gets the "better" motor than the U.S. in most cases. Ex. Jspec EVO VII vs U.S. spec EVO VII :D

·
Registered
105 Posts

It's much more than 'buyer preference' or 'culture'. It's cost. North America (including Canada) is the cheapest place in the world to purchase and operate a car.

In other parts of the world the capital cost of the cars are much greater, the fuel cost is double and the taxes are significantly higher.

All these factors add up to the ownership cost of 6 cyl vehicles being extremely high.

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

Originally posted by 03Atenza

oh.. i see.. i always thought that Japan (or other foreign country) gets the "better" motor than the U.S. in most cases. Ex. Jspec EVO VII vs U.S. spec EVO VII :D[/b]
Eurocars often have uprated engines from their US counterparts, but not BIGGER engines. (ex US Accord vs Euro Accord)

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts

The Ford Mondeo has the 3.0L VVT V6, could this be a reason as well?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts

In many countries there are taxes assessed on a car are based on engine displacement (size in liters). The bigger your engine, the more tax you pay. This is a significant reason that smaller engines are more popular in Europe, for instance.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Originally posted by MZ6ZoomZoom

Eurocars often have uprated engines from their US counterparts, but not BIGGER engines. (ex US Accord vs Euro Accord)[/b]
Probably because they don't have the emissions requirements like we do. They don't have to strangle their exhaust. I can think of the M3 as an example when prior to the E46 M3 (2001-present); the US version made 265hp whereas the european version made 310hp.

·
Registered
334 Posts

kyler13, do u still have ur supra? i hope u didn't sold it and get an 88' accord.. i would love to have the 6 as a fun everyday drivign car and the supra to kill the ricer!!!

·
Registered
8,628 Posts

Originally posted by kyler13

Originally posted by MZ6ZoomZoom

Eurocars often have uprated engines from their US counterparts, but not BIGGER engines. (ex US Accord vs Euro Accord)[/b]
Probably because they don't have the emissions requirements like we do. They don't have to strangle their exhaust. I can think of the M3 as an example when prior to the E46 M3 (2001-present); the US version made 265hp whereas the european version made 310hp.

[/b][/quote]

Exactly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts