Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 04 6s manual and am really like the 2010 Mazda 6 V6. However after some searching and looking it appears Mazda dropped the ball and only made it in automatic.

I was wondering if anyone here came from a manual car and how they like the auto in the new 6? I have driven nothing but mtx and really enjoy it and now sure how I much an auto would do for me...

Thanks

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
yea the new 6 is only availible in ATX. generally speaking due to the power increase of the 2nd gen it will be just as fast if not faster than the first gen MTX..........stock for stock

so if your thinking in performance terms, ur not really losing much in acceleration. unless u had a modded 6s mtx, then the 2nd gen would lose out

·
Registered
248 Posts
I came from a 02 Maxima 6speed and I do regret the purchase. I have my 09 6s for a year and a half now and I miss the my Maxima dearly. I miss have total control of the car and the ATX even in manual mode is not the same.

So to make up for it I'm currently trying to sell the 6 and I already put a factory order on a 2011 Mustang GT. ;)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow so the 2010 6 V6 would lose out to a 2004 6s mtx with say the CPE CAI and MAF control?

Yeah i mean having that speed is always nice but even just being able to shift and grab power exactly when you want it is so nice to have in the mtx's. Its too bad b/c i really do like the new 6.

My dilemma now is I want a 4-door car w/ mtx and still fun to drive. 2010 6 and Altima v6 fit that expect no one makes the mtx with V6 anymore :thumbdn:

BMW i128/135 ..... :drool:

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,550 Posts
I currently have a 04 6s manual and am really like the 2010 Mazda 6 V6. However after some searching and looking it appears Mazda dropped the ball and only made it in automatic.

I was wondering if anyone here came from a manual car and how they like the auto in the new 6? I have driven nothing but mtx and really enjoy it and now sure how I much an auto would do for me...

Thanks
I'm in the same boat as you, and you're right, Mazda did drop the ball on the MTX for the V6.

I've spent a few days in the 2nd-gen V6, and TGNY is right, the overall performance is more than comparable. With an additional 50+ HP, acceleration is IMO equal (if not better) than the 1st-gen V6/MTX.

The manumatic isn't a true three-pedal MTX, and some drivers that really love MTX won't switch to ATX no matter the situation. You should really determine for yourself if you'll be able to sacrifice the MTX for the V6. For me, the bigger preference is the V6, and the 6-speed ATX is IMO a very good partner, allowing more aggressive driving when needed, yet relaxed when it's not. It isn't (nor will it ever be) a proper substitute for a true MTX, but I can go with it for a daily driver.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,550 Posts
Wow so the 2010 6 V6 would lose out to a 2004 6s mtx with say the CPE CAI and MAF control?
I doubt the CAI drops 7/10th off the 0-60 time (Car & Driver shows a 0-60 time of 6.8 seconds on a '03 V6/MTX, and 6.1 seconds on a '09 V6).

Again, go out and drive one for yourself to see just how it feels to you.
My dilemma now is I want a 4-door car w/ mtx and still fun to drive. 2010 6 and Altima v6 fit that expect no one makes the mtx with V6 anymore :thumbdn:
I feel your pain... :(
BMW i128/135 ..... :drool:
Too bad it's a 2-door that's no bigger than a Mazda3, and can cost more than a loaded 6 V6...

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
stock for stock, thw 3.7 v6 in the new 6 would beat the older model if the driver wasnt perrfect

iirc the weight is not a huge pick up on the 2010 6 over the 1st gen.

·
Registered
181 Posts
FWIW, it is pretty hard to get a six speed manual for the 4. My dealer went out of his way to find me one, and it was 320 miles away!
Unfortunately, they are going the way of the dodo bird.:mad:

·
Registered
253 Posts
the 6 is my first automatic, I always used to have 4 cylinders with MTX 5 speed.
The swap to the V6 ATX is really not a downside for me
To be honest, you need a manual transmisson on 4 cylinders with only 150-170 hp...but when you get above 200 with a V6, you just don't need it anymore.

I'm not a big fan of brand spanking new cars...I'd look into a used 2007 V6 ATX if I were you or spend a bit more and Get a bmw 328 (that can be offered with MTX and AWD)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah i think i am leaning to something like a G35/37 or TL Type S or 328

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah i think i am leaning to something like a G35/37 or TL Type S or 328
I was looking to do the same thing but honestly I couldn't justify spending the same money on a car someone else drove for a couple of years. I don't care whether it's certified or not, you never know who owned that car before or how they drove it. With a car like the G35/7 or Type S I can almost guarantee it wasn't driven nicely...just things to think about when shopping. Another piece that made a difference to me was the fact I could get 0% financing for 60 months on a new car and the best APR I could find on a used car was 5.9% and even that was hard to find.

From someone who used to drive a MS Protege with a 5-speed and loved that and every car before that was also a 5 speed until I leased my CX-7 3yrs ago you stop missing the shifting when you drive it every day. Here in NY all it takes is one traffic jam to make you realize why the majority of people drive ATX cars. Also at this point the ATX's are so quick with shifting that in most circumstances they're faster than an average human driving a MTX car.

I just bought a 2010 6s GT w/Tech about a month ago and compared to driving my fiancees 2005 6s GT ATX it's like night and day. The new one wants to light the tires up at not even full throttle after the car is already rolling... It's way faster than the old engine and I blew the doors off my friends 06 6s w/ MTX recently and he's a pretty good driver. Trust me you won't be disappointed with this car even though it's an ATX.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I went from an MS3 to the Mz6 V6 sGT

I was looking to do the same thing but honestly I couldn't justify spending the same money on a car someone else drove for a couple of years. I don't care whether it's certified or not, you never know who owned that car before or how they drove it. With a car like the G35/7 or Type S I can almost guarantee it wasn't driven nicely...just things to think about when shopping. Another piece that made a difference to me was the fact I could get 0% financing for 60 months on a new car and the best APR I could find on a used car was 5.9% and even that was hard to find.

From someone who used to drive a MS Protege with a 5-speed and loved that and every car before that was also a 5 speed until I leased my CX-7 3yrs ago you stop missing the shifting when you drive it every day. Here in NY all it takes is one traffic jam to make you realize why the majority of people drive ATX cars. Also at this point the ATX's are so quick with shifting that in most circumstances they're faster than an average human driving a MTX car.

I just bought a 2010 6s GT w/Tech about a month ago and compared to driving my fiancees 2005 6s GT ATX it's like night and day. The new one wants to light the tires up at not even full throttle after the car is already rolling... It's way faster than the old engine and I blew the doors off my friends 06 6s w/ MTX recently and he's a pretty good driver. Trust me you won't be disappointed with this car even though it's an ATX.
At first I was concerned since the 6 would be my first auto but the power this car has and the overall balance and feel more than make up for the lack of a manual tranny. Sure the manual mode of the auto isn't the same as a clutch and stick but it's more than enough to have some fun with the free-revving 3.7. I'm actually starting to enjoy the benefits of an auto namely the ability to just throw it into drive when I'm tired or feel like a relaxing drive. Drop it into manual however and the car just pulls and loves being thrown into the curves.

Between the extra usable room and the great looks (IMO) it's a very enjoyable ride. I don't regret my purchase at all. In fact I'm enjoying the 6 more than I enjoyed my MS3.

·
Registered
253 Posts
TL type S would be a no brainer for me, I like bimmer but the 328 is a bit overrated to me...335 is something else

as for the other one, i would never own a Datsun!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bought a speed6. Same performance stock as G and Type S, and for 10k cheaper FTMFW

1 - 14 of 14 Posts