Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much difference is there really between 4 and 6 cylinders in general? I've been driving a Camry V6 for the last five years, and I'd hate to give up anything in a shift to 4-cyl.

Driving around town (say, under 50mph) does the 4-cyl have to work harder while the V6 just gets up to speed easier? And at highway speeds, does the 4-cyl have enough oomph to pass? Say, from 60 to 80mph?

Specifically, I guess I'm comparing the 6s to the new Acura TSX, which only comes with a 4-cyl. It's a bit like the RSX-S, but a slightly bigger engine for 24ft-lbs more torque.

Also, both my previous cars have been automatics, but my next car will be a manual. :)

According to Edmunds.com, etc:

2003 Mazda 6s [potential car #1]
V6 3.0L
220hp (6300rpm)
192ft-lbs (5000rpm)

2004 Acura TSX [potential car #2]
I4 2.4L
200hp (6800rpm)
166ft-lbs (4500rpm)

1994 Toyota Camry V6 XLE [my current car]
V6 3.0L
188hp (5200rpm)
203ft-lbs (4400rpm)

1988 Honda Prelude 2.0 S [my first car]
I4 2.0L
105hp (5800rpm)
111ft-lbs (4000rpm)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Reading Topic: V6 vs 4-cyl?

I'm sure someone on this board can provide a more "technical" answer to your question, but here are some differences that I believe in:

A V6 engine is smoother than a 4 cylinder.

You have to rev the rpms higher in 4-cyl engines to accelerate them quickly.

A V6 engine normally has better high-end torque than a 4-cyl, making it easier to pass and accelerate from rolling starts.

A V6 is heavier than a 4-cyl by a few hundred pounds.

·
Registered
543 Posts

All's I know is, when I test drove the 4-cyl Automatic I was able to zip around just fine, and pass on the highway just fine. I'm used to my old '91 MX-6, which is a 4-cyl, but I don't know how many hp, etc. in it.

And I'm not willing to pay ~$2000 more just to get a bigger engine that I really don't need. :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

I've driven both, and they are both excellent. It is true that a 6 will usually be quieter and smoother, but the 4 is exceptionally smooth in and of itself.

The main difference I saw was the 4 was a bit lethargic at low speeds. 4 cylinders are tuned to give more power at a bit higher RPMs, and this can be felt. The 6 downright feels quick.

The 4 is an exceptional engine, definitely one of the best 4's I've ever driven. But the 6 still has it's advantages. Physics are physics.

·
Registered
262 Posts

That's fine, the V6 isn't for everyone. If you don't need the extra HP and zip, and you want to save some money on gas, then by all means get the 4-cylinder. In fact, Mazda thought that's what the case would be, hence the excess 4-cyl and shortage of V6s.

The 4-cylinder is a fine engine, but when I test drove it, it definitely lacked low-end torque compared with the V6. Plus, the sound of the V6 really made my brain salivate compared to the 4 banger.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Look at it this way. One revolution of the crankshaft is done by the work of 4, 6, 8 cylinders depending on the motor. Doesn't it seem like lifting a couch is much easier for 8 people than 4 people? :)

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts

Not if 4 people are giving directions :D

·
Registered
68 Posts

The trouble with having 8 people lifting the couch is you have 8 mouths to feed. The v6 is hungrier at the gas pump.

I have to admit to really liking the V6 because it is smooth and has torque low in the rev range. But it was also hard to keep the car at legal speeds while driving the V6 in slow zones (and everyone in front of me was going too slow!).

The 4 didn't seem to have enough grunt and seemed sort of lackluster until I downshifted and went to pass someone. With the downshift it really took off and we were around the other car well before I had expected. It was very impressive and a pretty strong argument for the 6i if you can handle a manual trannie.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Now that I have finally driven every version of the car, I would say that the auto I-4 is a little anemic for my tastes, it moves you around but isn't particulary fast or fun. Now the manual tranny I-4 is another story, that car drives like a wholly different vehicle. It has good low end pickup for a I-4 (I could launch the car in third assuming the road is flat); revs smooth and gets good gas milage. The V6 auto gives you the power of an I-4 manual, its more than enough to move you around quickly with more low end torque. I have the V6 manual, and it hauls ass, the power is really all between 1000-5000rpm, as you climb into speeds higher than 90 it does start to strain, do to its restrictive exhaust and intake. I would only get the I-4 as a manual, get it, learn to drive stick and mod the hell out of it b/c it has huge potential and most of the M6 tuning market.

·
Registered
100 Posts

I'd say if you're going witha 4 cyl, it better be manual, but the 6 cyl is a better choice if you want an automatic.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Replying to Topic 'V6 vs 4-cyl?'

Originally posted by mazdamarlaAnd I'm not willing to pay ~$2000 more just to get a bigger engine that I really don't need. :)[/b]
It's not $2,000 more for the engine. You also get the Comfort Package (16" wheels, power seat, alarm, an $800 value); ABS/Traction control ($400); and Automatic Climate Control (unavailable on the i4). So even if you discount the ACC (which I personally really like); you're still only paying an ~$800 difference.

Unless, of course, you want the version with hubcaps. :)

·
Registered
791 Posts

I have the V6 manual, and it hauls ass, the power is really all between 1000-5000rpm[/b]
Isn't its peak power made at 6300rpm?

The i4's peak power and peak torque are actually lower than the V6's, but since it's lacking two cylinders, it needs to create its torque early on... which it doesn't until after break-in. Trust me!

The i4 gets gobs more torquey down low during the break-in. I love it for city driving, but aggressive highway driving still requires some shifts. Still, I don't regret getting the i4 (with manual) one bit- it's plenty fast for me, since my fun is in the first few cogs. It's "fun" enough to catch rubber in 2nd.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Below 3000rpm the i4 is very nice and quiet.. Above 3000 rpm it is a little more noisy (in a positiv way) and it really kicks there. I STILL find it hard to keep the limits though :D

·
Registered
230 Posts

Here in Canada it's $2000 more for just the V6 engine. A GT-i4 with all the same features as the GT-V6 (17 inch wheels, climate control, Bose, leather, sunroof, traction control, side curtain airbags, etc) costs $30460, while the V6 costs $32760 (both prices for the manual - automatic is ~$1300 more). I'm personally looking at buying a 4 cylinder manual.

·
Registered
231 Posts

The I4 is a great engine. Mine is deceptively quick and goes great, but then again mine is a manual. I'd have no problems reccomending it for most drivers.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Originally posted by The Chemist

Here in Canada it's $2000 more for just the V6 engine. A GT-i4 with all the same features as the GT-V6 (17 inch wheels, climate control, Bose, leather, sunroof, traction control, side curtain airbags, etc) costs $30460, while the V6 costs $32760 (both prices for the manual - automatic is ~$1300 more). I'm personally looking at buying a 4 cylinder manual.[/b]
But with the GT V6 in Canada, you are NOT obliged to take the less-than-elegant and very ricey GFX kit to have the sunroof. For me, that you would be 30460$ vs 31995$, a no-brainer.

·
Registered
980 Posts

I am gonna get the 4 cyl manual but that's because I won't be able to afford the V6. :) Do you guys know of any aftermarket performance parts that are out?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'V6 vs 4-cyl?'

What is this "GFX" kit in Canada?

We have a "sport package" in the US that has lower front and rear fascia's and added side sills.
It doesn't look anything like "ricey". If that is what you're talking about, then we have very different opinions on "rice". The sport package looks excellent as the body is designed to look like that. The lowered fascias are not add on pieces they are replacements for the base versions.

There are some add-on pieces sold here as well. Those are pieces that are actually added to the existing base fascia's. Those look a bit more "ricey" but still aren't too bad. I don't like them, but we all have different tastes. I actually like the lip spoiler better than the tall wing spoiler that comes witht the sport package.

Tome

·
Registered
517 Posts

Originally posted by kyler13

Look at it this way.  One revolution of the crankshaft is done by the work of 4, 6, 8 cylinders depending on the motor...[/b]
Actually, in a 4-stroke engine, each cylinder has one power stroke per every TWO crankshaft revolutions. So, one crankshaft rev is powered by two cylinders in a 4-banger, etc., etc.

As for the choice of I4 vs. V6, it's really a personal decision. Only you can really answer your own cost/benefit equation. What do you value most? Sheer power? Fuel economy? Do you plan to get a stick or an automatic? Do you sit in lots of stop-and-go traffic? Do you race across the Bonneville Salt Flats? To me, fixating on HP/torque/0-60 numbers takes the driver out of the equation, but to someone else "mine is bigger than yours" may be extremely important and an overriding factor in the vehicle selection process.

A V6 will offer more top-end power and low-end torque. But how much do you really need? With decent aerodynamics, it doesn't take a tremendous amount of horsepower to cruise at 80 mph. Some might argue that maximum acceleration is sheer folly and is only "needed" by a driver who doesn't plan ahead for the need to accelerate. As our friends outside of the States will attest, a perfectly satisfying driving experience can be had with four cylinders. The attitude in the USA seems to be totally different, but then again the types of roads we drive on here are quite different, too. Lots more wide-open spaces, and generally less need for precise driving, so we can be sloppy with the "go pedal" and it really doesn't matter that much.

Having said all that, I enjoy my 2.5-liter V6 with a stick, but I don't really flog my car all that often. I'm perfectly happy to average 25-30 miles per gallon even while letting my car stretch its legs on occasion. :D

HTH!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Originally posted by garrick

A V6 will offer more top-end power and low-end torque.  But how much do you really need?  With decent aerodynamics, it doesn't take a tremendous amount of horsepower to cruise at 80 mph.  Some might argue that maximum acceleration is sheer folly and is only "needed" by a driver who doesn't plan ahead for the need to accelerate.  As our friends outside of the States will attest, a perfectly satisfying driving experience can be had with four cylinders.  The attitude in the USA seems to be totally different, but then again the types of roads we drive on here are quite different, too.  Lots more wide-open spaces, and generally less need for precise driving, so we can be sloppy with the "go pedal" and it really doesn't matter that much.[/b]
That's a broad statement you make. One cannot account for the many random variable in his/her driving routine by simply planning ahead. Ex: Slow guy in front of you, short acceleration lane onto the highway, sudden work area reveals a blocked off lane and unexpected merge. I doubt that those outside the states are immune to random variables like these. And I doubt that every driver in all the other countries drives so perfect as to respect the other guy and always plan for their actions as well as his/her own. I give you the Autobahn in Germany and the disasterous pile-ups that occur from just one individual driving at high speed and making a mistake, whatever it might be. How many of those with 4-bangers or otherwise that got caught in that accident were or were not planning ahead?

If you ask some of our European friends here, they'll tell you that driving is not necessarily so precise over there either. Anybody remember the conversation about driving in France??

1 - 20 of 43 Posts